Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Thing and his Marriage to Alica Masters: Should we really believe it ?

As a fan of the Thing I question his upcoming marriage to Alica Masters as this is not the first time Marvel tried something like this with Ben and Alica as well.

Given the history of the Fantastic Four and the Thing one has to wonder: Will Marvel pull the rug under its readership again ?

I mean just earlier this year fans were given a Bait and Switch Marvel X-men wedding and it lead to a new series in the line up. Also again with the whole history of Ben and Alica one has to wonder if ANYTHING can go wrong.....I mean COME ON It can't be that SIMPLE, RIGHT ?

As fans of the characters and its history: What do you all think of this ?

They have said that this wedding will actually happen. Both Marvel and DC have already did the cancelled wedding thing with Batman and Catwoman as well as Kitty Pryde and Colossus.

Marvel knows that doing it yet again would piss off many fans and have stated that this marriage will definitely happen to alleviate concerns. There may be some challenges on the day, but that is all part of the fun and drama. This wedding won't be called off.

Also, Ben and Alicia are easier to marry off as no one would be upset that Ben isn't single and having flings (like some would be with Batman) as his situation meant that it was never gonna happen. Finally marrying Alicia is well overdue for the character.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-15-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Ultimate Member

No. Only because even if it's status quo as long as Slott's writing the title, when he leaves, someone will undo it. Don't forget, Johnny was married to Alicia at one point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    No. Only because even if it's status quo as long as Slott's writing the title, when he leaves, someone will undo it. Don't forget, Johnny was married to Alicia at one point.
    That is a part of that "history" I mentioned in the original post and it makes me wonder if this would even be discuss as the wedding comes close...?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm not so pessimistic as making Ben single again is pointless and crappy. Because of his looks he will never be popular like Tony or Johnny, he's had less than a handful of relationships because of it. Who would miss single Ben? The only relationship that has been worthwhile is the one with Alicia.

It's as redundant as making him hung up on his appearance like he was before, something that hasn't been reverted yet. I see no good reason for someone after Slott to revert it other than out of sheer laziness. Luke and Jessica are still married so Marvel is not completely against relatively new married couples. The only ones I doubt are Rogue and Gambit because there are stories that can be told if the characters were single, the same can't be said for Ben and Alicia who most interesting relationships are with each other.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-15-2018 at 06:33 PM.

I just hope that there are no "wedding night" jokes. Remember Johnny's remark in the second movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I just hope that there are no "wedding night" jokes. Remember Johnny's remark in the second movie.
    If I were them I'd time the wedding with the week Ben gets to revert back to human form every year. Which could also add drama as it's the only time he's vulnerable so that's when villains decide to strike. The wedding could be a homage to Reed and Sue's where almost every villain tried to gatecrash it, but were stopped.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-15-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I don't believe they'll pull the same trick twice in a short period of time, so, yeah, I suspect they'll go through with this one.

I'm sure there will be a Skrull joke in there somewhere, though.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

I think it will at least happen. Will it last? Probably not, but that's comics for you. So I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I don't believe they'll pull the same trick twice in a short period of time, so, yeah, I suspect they'll go through with this one.

I'm sure there will be a Skrull joke in there somewhere, though.
    I kind of hope there is at least one joke about how dumb it was to think Alicia would ever marry Johnny, just to troll John Byrne.

No, I don't think they will do that. Brevoort already admitted he made a mistake allowing a comic to troll John Byrne. But it is so weird to me even now that Byrne would do that story (though I should add, to be fair to him, he wasn't the one who married them). Between that and trying to pair up the Scarlet Witch with Wonder Man, it seems like Byrne only wanted beautiful women to be with conventionally attractive men. Well, at least it's a complete 180 from the usual nerd fantasy.
    Last edited by gurkle; 09-15-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Nope, Ben tried to marry a civilian before and broke it off due to the dangers, so it will be strange for him to change his mind. Also Alicia and Ben has been on/off for ages, so even if they do, it probably won't stick.

I think it’s a wonderful idea, normally superhero marriages don’t work because it makes the hero boring but it sort of works with Ben’s uncle type role plus poor Alicia has waited long enough. And really, do we want to see Ben as a single guy? I think that would be boring and really he and Alicia are perfect,

And it would be cool to see a Jewish wedding in superhero comics. When was the last big superhero wedding? Jess and Luke cage I reckon. Gosh when was that, like 2007?

Ah the wedding of torch and Alicia. Puppet master was angry over it he even tried to get ben to go back to dating her because he would rather see her be with the thing then the childish torch. (when that didn't work he just took control of ben with his puppets!) Funny thing is the marriage had the torch grow up and made him a stronger hero. He was no longer as childish and came out as a better hero. He had (Gasp!) character development! Can't have that at marvel! They wanted 5 year old childish torch back! So she was a skrull after years in the title. Marvel at it's worst. Funny thing is people ended up liking the skrull due to how she acted all these years to the point marvel had to bring her back after they killed her as fans in the letter section kept asking for her to return. They then shipped her off to limbo so torch could date other woman!

[IMG][/IMG]

Astonishing Member

No this one will happen, as others have said they already did a last minute cancel, but the question I am wondering will there be an attack cause what 4/5 times a superhero gets married someone has to attack the wedding reception.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I kind of hope there is at least one joke about how dumb it was to think Alicia would ever marry Johnny, just to troll John Byrne.

No, I don't think they will do that. Brevoort already admitted he made a mistake allowing a comic to troll John Byrne. But it is so weird to me even now that Byrne would do that story (though I should add, to be fair to him, he wasn't the one who married them). Between that and trying to pair up the Scarlet Witch with Wonder Man, it seems like Byrne only wanted beautiful women to be with conventionally attractive men. Well, at least it's a complete 180 from the usual nerd fantasy.
    Of course, John Byrne was notorious for petty feuds with other creators (mainly Chris Claremont) in his own work, so I would hope he could take people poking fun at his work.

That being said, referencing the marriage between Johnny and Lyja would just be a comment on continuity and not a shot at Byrne, if done correctly.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?