Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default The Thing and his Marriage to Alica Masters: Should we really believe it ?

As a fan of the Thing I question his upcoming marriage to Alica Masters as this is not the first time Marvel tried something like this with Ben and Alica as well.

Given the history of the Fantastic Four and the Thing one has to wonder: Will Marvel pull the rug under its readership again ?

I mean just earlier this year fans were given a Bait and Switch Marvel X-men wedding and it lead to a new series in the line up. Also again with the whole history of Ben and Alica one has to wonder if ANYTHING can go wrong.....I mean COME ON It can't be that SIMPLE, RIGHT ?

As fans of the characters and its history: What do you all think of this ?

They have said that this wedding will actually happen. Both Marvel and DC have already did the cancelled wedding thing with Batman and Catwoman as well as Kitty Pryde and Colossus.

Marvel knows that doing it yet again would piss off many fans and have stated that this marriage will definitely happen to alleviate concerns. There may be some challenges on the day, but that is all part of the fun and drama. This wedding won't be called off.

Also, Ben and Alicia are easier to marry off as no one would be upset that Ben isn't single and having flings (like some would be with Batman) as his situation meant that it was never gonna happen. Finally marrying Alicia is well overdue for the character.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-15-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Invincible Member

No. Only because even if it's status quo as long as Slott's writing the title, when he leaves, someone will undo it. Don't forget, Johnny was married to Alicia at one point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    No. Only because even if it's status quo as long as Slott's writing the title, when he leaves, someone will undo it. Don't forget, Johnny was married to Alicia at one point.
    That is a part of that "history" I mentioned in the original post and it makes me wonder if this would even be discuss as the wedding comes close...?

I'm not so pessimistic as making Ben single again is pointless and crappy. Because of his looks he will never be popular like Tony or Johnny, he's had less than a handful of relationships because of it. Who would miss single Ben? The only relationship that has been worthwhile is the one with Alicia.

It's as redundant as making him hung up on his appearance like he was before, something that hasn't been reverted yet. I see no good reason for someone after Slott to revert it other than out of sheer laziness. Luke and Jessica are still married so Marvel is not completely against relatively new married couples. The only ones I doubt are Rogue and Gambit because there are stories that can be told if the characters were single, the same can't be said for Ben and Alicia who most interesting relationships are with each other.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-15-2018 at 06:33 PM.

I just hope that there are no "wedding night" jokes. Remember Johnny's remark in the second movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I just hope that there are no "wedding night" jokes. Remember Johnny's remark in the second movie.
    If I were them I'd time the wedding with the week Ben gets to revert back to human form every year. Which could also add drama as it's the only time he's vulnerable so that's when villains decide to strike. The wedding could be a homage to Reed and Sue's where almost every villain tried to gatecrash it, but were stopped.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-15-2018 at 06:40 PM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Meh. Marriage was always wrong for Johnny. Ben's like the polar opposite.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Meh. Marriage was always wrong for Johnny. Ben's like the polar opposite.
    Exactly. Ben's whole deal is being am orange rock monster than few would ever be attracted to. Alicia is one of the few people that make him feel normal and loved. The marriage is natural progression of their relationship and it's not like Ben has flocks of women who'd be crying over him no longer being single. His story has never really been about having many different relationships, you can count all of them on one hand.

There is always Johnny (and now Franklin and Valeria) for the different relationship drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Exactly. Ben's whole deal is being am orange rock monster than few would ever be attracted to. Alicia is one of the few people that make him feel normal and loved. The marriage is natural progression of their relationship and it's not like Ben has flocks of women who'd be crying over him no longer being single. His story has never really been about having many different relationships, you can count all of them on one hand.

There is always Johnny (and now Franklin and Valeria) for the different relationship drama.
    Is a joke about Ben only having three fingers and a thumb on each hand appropriate here?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    As a fan of the Thing I question his upcoming marriage to Alica Masters as this is not the first time Marvel tried something like this with Ben and Alica as well.

Given the history of the Fantastic Four and the Thing one has to wonder: Will Marvel pull the rug under its readership again ?

I mean just earlier this year fans were given a Bait and Switch Marvel X-men wedding and it lead to a new series in the line up. Also again with the whole history of Ben and Alica one has to wonder if ANYTHING can go wrong.....I mean COME ON It can't be that SIMPLE, RIGHT ?

As fans of the characters and its history: What do you all think of this ?
    This is my biggest concern too. This past summer, we saw two major wedding events get canceled at the last minute. Kitty/Colossus was especially heartbreaking and I think it did some serious damage to Kitty Pryde's character. I'd rather not see that happen to Thing and Alicia. They deserve better. I know Marvel has a shaky history with married characters, but I hope the success of Mr. and Mrs. X shows that married characters can work. At the very least, Thing and Alicia deserve a chance.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Incredible Member

As a character he's been allowed to drift away in popularity and importance for decades. This storyline is a way to take him in a slightly different direction. There is no chance they are passing up that opportunity.

(Cue ben turning human during ceremony and running out of the ceremony)

Ben and Alicia should have a child. it would be cool for the Thing to be a dad, finally.

Spectacular Member

The relationship between Ben and Alicia has played out over decades - where for the majority of the time they've been together, they've also had relationships with others when they've been apart.

Maybe it's time to explore something new with the pair - so a marriage at this point makes sense. It's really not like they haven't shown she's a survivor of numerous near-death or life-altering experiences as a result of her relationship with Ben and the Fantastic Four in general.

Ben isnt so popular that Marvel can try and sell us that "Marriage limits stories' horseshit so I think it'll go through.