Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    As for facts, I can only give you what information I've had on sales from my local comic guy, my comic-reading friends and the sales of the CONVERGENCE SPEED FORCE series. I'm talking about the facts as they have been presented to me. The same information we all have to work with
    In other words, very random and not all that inclusive information that really doesn't mean anything.
    What "we" have to work with probably pales in comparison to all the information DC/WB can gather through various types of market research and the sales numbers we don't have access to but they would.

As for "hyperbole", I'm ALREADY choking on all of the "hyperbole" DC is constantly trying to force down our throats and uses to reach into our wallets. I don't need any more of that false-talk.

penetrator of things

Too many speedsters?

no such thing
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

We definitely don't have too many speedsters.

There's plenty of room for the entire Flash dynasty, if DC could just put a little effort into it.

During Wally's day as the Flash we had a small army of speedsters and everyone had a place to call their own. Barry's return doesn't have to mean that there's suddenly no space in the DCU for more Flashes.

I still miss Max, I definitely think the Flash mythos is a little weaker and less interesting without the zen master of speed.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I miss Jesse.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

There is NO SUCH THING as too many speedsters.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I miss Jesse.
    I miss a lot of the Flash Family, but I definitely miss Jesse .

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    No! The problem is DC refuses to use them with the exception of Barry (and no, I don’t hate Barry). The Flash book of the 90s and early 2000’s proved you could have multiple speedsters and still tell compelling stories.
    AMEN!!

The Flash Family was one of the most interesting and fleshed out corners of the DCU.
    Wally, Bart, Jay, Max, Jesse, Jenni, Johnny. The history, the future, the families - it was bloody brilliant.
    I was gutted when we lost it all and truly believe the market would sustain a second Flash (non Barry) book on the shelves.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Are there too many Bat-family members? (Yes but thats besides the point)

If Batman can have 30 people running around with him why can't the Flash?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Based on . . . what?

You can't base it just on complainers on message boards/forums like this one. What percentage of the actual comic book buying public do you think those people represent?

I'm not saying there might not be a market for what you're proposing, but don't just blindly say "the market is there" without some decent FACTS to back it up.
    If we're looking for a like for like,

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...5/2015-04.html

Flash Convergence #1 - 45,414 (Barry centric)
    Speed Force Convergence #1 - 42,977 (Wally centric)

And those numbers are for a crappy tie-in for a crappy event nobody cared about.
    Not bad numbers for either, and VERY little difference in sales.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In other words, very random and not all that inclusive information that really doesn't mean anything.
    What "we" have to work with probably pales in comparison to all the information DC/WB can gather through various types of market research and the sales numbers we don't have access to but they would.

As for "hyperbole", I'm ALREADY choking on all of the "hyperbole" DC is constantly trying to force down our throats and uses to reach into our wallets. I don't need any more of that false-talk.
    See, I don't think DC (or Marvel to be fair) do market research. Or if they do I don't think they do it with their marquee characters.

I doubt anyone but Morrison had much input on Damian being introduced or that Jon Kent was the result of market research. And things like PAD's run on the Hulk long ago convinced me that the higher-ups are more likely to wreck a good run when they mettle than extend it (and if they were using research you'd think they'd know what elements NOT to touch when they mettled).

And as for the speedsters- I'd personally rather they limited it to characters who they had a definite idea for. We don't need Jay, Barry and Wally used, for example, as the Flash where the costume is the only indicator of which Flash it is. As long as they have a distinct voice and style for the different speedsters they can have a thousand. But if they are all just defined as being "the fastest man/woman alive" and little else, I'd prefer that to be a single character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    See, I don't think DC (or Marvel to be fair) do market research. Or if they do I don't think they do it with their marquee characters.
    But they might do market research if they're considering whether to launch a new title or not. And I'm not saying they definitely do, but it may be a factor for them to consider.

We're going to be down one soon I suspect anyway.

Wallace has kind of been hanging around for a while now and there was a strong rumour that DC kept him going because he was in alot of the CW stuff, if he got popular they could just point to a comic etc, that and the bad optics of killing/removing a black character for a white one (even if its purely a buisness move of 'no one cares for Wallace, everyone likes Bart etc') it could still cause some issues.

BANNED

My problem is if they bring Bart then why keep Wallace and Bart is probably not on the same age group as tim drakevbut much younger so where does he fit in the DC universe

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Are there too many Bat-family members? (Yes but thats besides the point)

If Batman can have 30 people running around with him why can't the Flash?
    Batman can have multiple auxiliaries and keep it relatively plausible because they're all humans with no super powers. Flash is a unique brand of headache because of his speed. Just one speedster can practically resolve an entirely city's crime problems within the blink of an eye. With four, five, six speedsters around, it's a wonder that Keystone-Central isn't a crime-free utopia.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Boisterously Confused

This is what happens when you can't decide if you prefer that your universe logically progresses (i.e. sidekicks grow up), or if you prefer that your brands remain consistently recognizable (i.e. The Flash is a lightning-struck/chemically-doused CSI named Barry Allen).

There's room for all these folks, and for all the hangers-on lingering about The Batcave, if you can spread them out over time. However, since nobody's going to allow Bruce Wayne's permanent retirement, those linked with him by stories are stuck in time too.

At the same time, both fans and writers periodically want to pretend to ourselves that we're not just reading the same stuff over and over. Thus, changes enter the game. For a while.