Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    It kinda feels like Dr. Fate has the better offensive feats, but Phantom Stranger has the better defensive feats.

Like, Fate can't kill Stranger, but Stranger can't do too much to Fate either. Could the good Doctor get a 10- count off of the Phantom Stranger?

Also, for default Rumbles settings, isn't the Arena set outside any publisher's multiverse? So DC's Presence shouldn't be able to grant protection to another character while they are in the Arena, which is outside the Presence's dominion?

Or am I thinking all wrong about this?
    More like over thinking it ;p

You are asking questions I'm not sure how to answer. Even PS himself wasn't totally sure. When fighting Spectre in DoV, he was basically like "I'm not sure if I can die". Like it was speculation even on his part as to the limits of his nature.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    You are to a extent. Because unless stated characters keep their stuff including situational power ups that allow them to complete ( Matrix characters) so PS gets his protection. I think his defense our classes Fates offense and PS is capable of many, many tricks at a point he was wrestling down pissed off Spectre pretty damn evenly at his best and the Wrath If Gid could not kil or band him away and the said transmutation did not stick that long.

Fate is impressive, but he ain’t Spectre impressive.
    Agreed with this. Stranger just seems to be sitting a level up on Strange in most depictions.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Agreed with this. Stranger just seems to be sitting a level up on Strange in most depictions.
    I figure if the Phantom Stranger outclasses Doctor Fate in magical combat, then he probably would outclass Doctor Strange as well.

Speaking of Marvel, how does the Phantom Stranger do against the Marvel cosmic known as The Stranger (of whom I know next to nothing)?

Astonishing Member

The Stranger is a mid level higher end cosmic. Kind of like a Galactus. PS takes him with a struggle.

So, taking each of them with their highest- end fears in mind, regardless of continuity, for Rumbles purposes, the scale would go:

Dr. Strange < Dr. Fate < The Stranger < Phantom Stranger < Galactus < Spectre < Living Tribunal

That look about right? Or not really?

So, taking each of them with their highest- end fears in mind, regardless of continuity, for Rumbles purposes, the scale would go:

Dr. Strange < Dr. Fate < The Stranger < Phantom Stranger < Galactus < Spectre < Living Tribunal

That look about right? Or not really?
    Phantom Stranger might be above Galactus. Maybe. Otherwise, looks good.

I should note that "classic" Dr Strange is probably a match for Pre Crisis Fate
    - big_adventure

Yeah. Pre Crisis Fate is so dangerous because of physical stuff.

But Classic Strange? Was like a man channeling a cosmic God on a regular basis doing **** that affected cosmic bodies, defeated hungry galactic twice I think, and when tapping into too much dark magic, his aura was hurting a Being who matched his teacher. So said guy obviously in magic totem pole ( sharp knows that last feat.)

Isn’t the magic food chain such a fun concept?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    A lot of the Nu 52 disappointed me, but nothing quite so much as giving the Phantom Stranger a definite, coherent origin. The whole idea is you're never supposed to be sure! He's a Phantom Stranger! It's right in the name! Blaaaaaahhhhhhhh.
    My favorite Phantom Stranger story was when they gave him four origins and implied that they all could be true. Impossible for us to comprehend but possible on his level. "... a definite, coherent origin" would be a wonderful change for most DC characters but not the Phantom Stranger.
    Power with Girl is better.

Wait, so since the Spectre can't kill the Phantom Stranger due to the Spectre's Boss (The Voice/ Presence)'s protection, does that mean that the Phantom Stranger is basically unkillable, period?

Has the Phantom Stranger ever been killed (as the Phantom Stranger, and not whatever he may have been prior to), or is that protection only against the Spectre?

Was that protection only for that one fight?

Questions, questions, questions ...
    I need to go home and throw out my DC roleplaying game magic book where the Stranger had a Body rating of 3 which is within normal human range and no auto-defenses. Then again, it's not like most characters were all that true to the comics.
    Power with Girl is better.

Holy crap, the Phantom Stranger might rank ABOVE Galactus?

That's super- high praise. I mean, isn't Ol' Galan kinda the gold standard when it comes to sheer number and variety of actual on-panel feats among cosmic types?

And come to think of it, I probably should have asked this question to kick off the thread:

In their 50+ years of shared publication, have Doctor Fate and the Phantom Stranger ever come into direct conflict with each other?

Have these two ever even fought each other?

I can look up "Phantom Stranger vs Spectre" and get gems like this:

Or look up "Dr Fate vs Spectre" and get this:

But "Dr Fate vs Phantom Stranger" brings up nothing of the sort.

Is it possible these two supernatural beings haven't fought before, despite always coexisting in the same universe? Seems unlikely. Or maybe my Google Fu is just not good enough here? Seems more likely.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-20-2018 at 03:52 AM.

The times Strange won against Galactus, Galactus was not in his a game and it was classic Strange.

And yeah the funny thing is, IndoubtbPs and Fate ever tasseled really.

Yeah, I can't recall them ever fighting.

As for the Galactus bit. I just think he would have some real trouble doing lasting harm to a guy who can stroll through the big bang.
    - big_adventure

I don't care how strong any of these guys are, myself.

Nothing will ever top, Galactus' "I'm getting bored, so I'm going to eat Hell", feat. Simple as that; and I will post it until the star at the center of your 'human' solar system burns out.

Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Its a priceless treasure that scan. Right alongside "Let silence reign"
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Its a priceless treasure that scan. Right alongside "Let silence reign"
    I dunno. "I am Galactus ! I do what I do !" Is pretty much the pinnacle of all there ever is or will be, when it comes to Galactus quotes.

He could do anything, but he do it.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan