Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

wow watchmojo must really hate OMD lol

One More Day is probably the most divisive and controversial Spider-Man story ever. A true controversy does require people being on the different sides of the argument.

However, the death of Gwen Stacy should've been included, since that's pissed off a lot of people at the time.

As an aside, I have heard middle school students talking about how MJ died in Reign #4, so that seems to have some power.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One More Day is probably the most divisive and controversial Spider-Man story ever. A true controversy does require people being on the different sides of the argument.

However, the death of Gwen Stacy should've been included, since that's pissed off a lot of people at the time.

As an aside, I have heard middle school students talking about how MJ died in Reign #4, so that seems to have some power.
    I'm not sure the Death of Gwen Stacy falls under "controversial". It was a story that shocked folks and there may have been some that didn't want that to happen, but it was a fairly straightforward story and it could even be debated that it was a natural, organic story. Nothing out of character or that made you have to question any type of continuity "logic".

Most these Mojo stories do seem to involve some type of stretch to tell their story.

Even the much acclaimed Kraven Last Hunt story was a bit of a stretch. It was a story that had nothing to do with what was going on in the Spidey titles at the time, came out of nowhere, felt kinda "elseworlds" like while being told, and really wasn't mentioned much in continuity. I do find it "controversial" in the sense that a little used villain finally gets the drop on the hero, seemingly kills him, takes his place, and having accomplished all his goals in life, takes his own life. Not really the most natural story to tell at the time.

Yeah, while Reign itself has kind of faded into obscurity, I always hear about the "spider semen" being brought up and made fun of by people all the time.

Death of Gwen Stacy is probably a case of being controversial at the time, but has become such an ingrained part of the Spider-Man legacy, that majority can't imagine the book without it.

I would agree One More Day is the most controversial, and in my opinion the worst Spider-Man story, because I don't think I have seen anyone like it.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I'm not sure the Death of Gwen Stacy falls under "controversial". It was a story that shocked folks and there may have been some that didn't want that to happen, but it was a fairly straightforward story and it could even be debated that it was a natural, organic story. Nothing out of character or that made you have to question any type of continuity "logic".

Most these Mojo stories do seem to involve some type of stretch to tell their story.

Even the much acclaimed Kraven Last Hunt story was a bit of a stretch. It was a story that had nothing to do with what was going on in the Spidey titles at the time, came out of nowhere, felt kinda "elseworlds" like while being told, and really wasn't mentioned much in continuity. I do find it "controversial" in the sense that a little used villain finally gets the drop on the hero, seemingly kills him, takes his place, and having accomplished all his goals in life, takes his own life. Not really the most natural story to tell at the time.
    Controversy isn't about continuity or whether someone was out of character. The Night Gwen Stacy Died pissed off a lot of people, and excited others.

As for Kraven's Last Hunt, I can't recall anyone complaining about Spider-Man being buried alive. There were some complaints about the suicide, although that's something the people at Watchmojo should have focused on.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

iMan 42s

I'd say that Superior Spider-man is a pretty controversial moment in that a milestone ended with the hero losing and had an advertisement for a book nobody asked for that followed it up. Coupled with the assertions the Spider-office made at the time and people got rightfully pissed. In it's own space I feel its better off, but man did it suck to be a Spider-man fan at the time.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Stan Lee mentioned that they got so much hate mail for the story that he pushed to have Gerry Conway reverse it.I do think that qualifies as "controversial" to say the least.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

This is my opinion about these spider-stories:

1º) "Spidey Unmasked" and "One More Day": As far as I see, this could have been avoided if Spider-Verse would have happened at this moment. I mean, it's not the first time that, while a group of heroes hava an arc, another group has its own. So, if something would have happened during the Civil War, causing Spider-Man to leave his home reality before it started, these two disasters could have been avoided. Well, maybe not the Spider-Verse event itself, but something similar that would prepare us for it. After that, Spider-Man could have returned just when the Secret Invasion started. Of course, the problem is that, during the Dark Reign's saga, Norman Osborn would have known Spider-Man's secret identity; puting him and his family on the worst danger.

2º) "Sins Past": This could have actually worked, if they would have done differently. Instead of Gwen having an affair with Norman (Gosh, how could they be so imbeciles?!!), Norman could have used Jackal's tech to artificially create Gabriel and Sarah with Peter and Gwen's DNA. That way would have been way more acceptable, removing the disgusting part.

3º) "Superior Spider-Man": I truly HATED this story. However, if it would have been like now, with a clone body of Peter instead of the real Peter, I would have accepted it. This way, people would go after Octavius for what he did, instead of going after the real Spidey.

4º) "Death by Sperm": It's an alternative reality, so there are no rules for these. However, I find interesting that Spider-Man's inner radiation could have killed MJ. Something similar was used when we though Betty Ross was poisoned by Hulk's Gamma Energy; until we discovered it was all Abomination's doing.

5º) "Aunt May's end... Not": I would have missed Aunt May a lot, but I would lie if I say I wouldn't have prefered to see Spider-Man rescuing his baby May like in MC2's reality.

6º) "The Clone Saga": This was one of my favourite sagas, but the whole part of messing who's the clone and who's the real one, I would have skipped it. Although this is truly the kind of miserable and coward scheme Norman Osborn would execute to turn Peter crazy.

Incredible Member

Controversy isn't about continuity or whether someone was out of character. The Night Gwen Stacy Died pissed off a lot of people, and excited others.

As for Kraven's Last Hunt, I can't recall anyone complaining about Spider-Man being buried alive. There were some complaints about the suicide, although that's something the people at Watchmojo should have focused on.
    For KLH, there were some that complained how dark the story was overall. Essentially, it was Batman told under the guise of a Spider-man story.

I agree that Death of GS was highly argued direction at the time. I guess it's just a matter of how one defines "controversy". Maybe it does fit...I'd throw in the Spider-man drug story in the mix as well.

Astonishing Member

Big fail,by this list not including the death of Gwen Stacy story.

For me, it'll always be Clone Saga that ruined Spider-Man and caused me to jump ship. I only wish they never had Peter harming MJ.

For KLH, there were some that complained how dark the story was overall. Essentially, it was Batman told under the guise of a Spider-man story.

I agree that Death of GS was highly argued direction at the time. I guess it's just a matter of how one defines "controversy". Maybe it does fit...I'd throw in the Spider-man drug story in the mix as well.
    That's fair. It is also controversial for that reason.

Oddly, Death of Jean Dewolff is pretty damn dark as well, but I haven't gotten the impression it was especially controversial.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

You mean the one that the Comics Code Authority tried to stop, but Stan Lee doggedly published, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    For me, it'll always be Clone Saga that ruined Spider-Man and caused me to jump ship. I only wish they never had Peter harming MJ.
    Yeah, that pissed me off, too. Why have him do such a thing, even in the throes of a psychotic rage where he was trying to kill Ben Reilly out of fear that Ben was willingly part of some plot to steal Peter's life from him? It should've been Seward Trainer trying to stop Peter from killing Ben, blocking Mary Jane when she tried to go to him, warning her that he was in a berserker mentality where he could no longer distinguish between friend and foe, and getting knocked clear across the room, which would also explain how and why he ended up in that coma. It'd have the same outcome of Peter horrified and ashamed of himself and what he did, but without the ugly wrinkle of making him out to be a wife-beater. Plus, it would provide another wrinkle to Peter's justification for leaving New York with Mary Jane and their soon-to-be-child, a means of atoning for what he did to Ben by showing Ben that he trusted him to be a better Spider-Man than he was.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    You mean the one that the Comics Code Authority tried to stop, but Stan Lee doggedly published, anyway?

Yeah, that pissed me off, too. Why have him do such a thing, even in the throes of a psychotic rage where he was trying to kill Ben Reilly out of fear that Ben was willingly part of some plot to steal Peter's life from him? It should've been Seward Trainer trying to stop Peter from killing Ben, blocking Mary Jane when she tried to go to him, warning her that he was in a berserker mentality where he could no longer distinguish between friend and foe, and getting knocked clear across the room, which would also explain how and why he ended up in that coma. It'd have the same outcome of Peter horrified and ashamed of himself and what he did, but without the ugly wrinkle of making him out to be a wife-beater. Plus, it would provide another wrinkle to Peter's justification for leaving New York with Mary Jane and their soon-to-be-child, a means of atoning for what he did to Ben by showing Ben that he trusted him to be a better Spider-Man than he was.
    Yeah and it's ironic that both Peter and MJ never spoke of this again and that fans gave it a free pass like it's nothing, especially when we ended up seeing Peter hit MJ again in Spider-Man 3 which I'm guessing Sam Raimi was a fan of Clone Saga. People are still treating Hank Pym like a monster for harming the Wasp, but he paid a hefty price for that spending time in prison. How do we know Peter won't end up going postal again for whatever reason and hurting MJ again? Guess it was Spider-Man's pop culture status that made people turn the other cheek in my theory.

Well, "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" has been vindicated by history, OMD has not (in terms of the stories themselves, not talking about the repercussions on the franchise). Also, a lot of OMD division and controversy is centered on whether the retcon to the status quo was good/needed/etc. or not. (In fact, I think that the the "OMD discussion" has not become about the story itself but the marriage.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)