Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rescue, but do it wisely. Get good writing. People who know Superman. Yes, all the movies of This decade are canon. Fast track the MOS sequel to 2020. Give Supes and Cavill full respect. It’s time for Brainiac. This cinematic universe can be saved IF done properly, the ptb need to grow some and stop mailing it in.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Rescue with a Brainiac film for MOS 2.

I'm no longer interested in the DCEU at large. Maybe I'm curious about individual movies, but the shared universe itself is not interesting. I'm actively rooting against a second JL movie because I think it's going to be all sorts of terrible.

Now, among the choices...

I would rather if they kept doing stuff with Superman, it would be with Henry. I don't think he's exceptional, but I feel he got a raw deal post-MoS. I can't imagine this is what he signed up for. But, I don't see the point in giving him these tiny little roles as if he's a minor DC character. He should be an impact character, otherwise why bother?

Also, accept no substitutes. It's either Kal-El/Clark Kent Superman, or no thanks.

Since I don't like DCEU, I'm not opposed to a reboot, but rebooting Superman means more of the same old crap, i.e. another origin story, probably a death story, maybe more in-fighting with the league. So, while this is attractive, it's completely unacceptable if we have to start from square one again.

So,

A, so long as they don't make him a minor character
    B, preferrably with a big-name actor
    D, but this is a terrible option
    C, as bad as D is, C manages to be worse

If they make Superman a minor character,

B
    A
    D
    C

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Just make a new SUPERMAN movie that doesn't address the stuff before it too much, and moves forward. Make it a new series with a director with a vision for the character. Keep Cavill if you can, if not then get a new actor.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Sony managed to reboot Spider-Man without going through the hassle of another origin. Maybe there's a way to do that with Superman. Even MOS managed to skip over a few steps and still pulled it off. Like seeing how they discovered his powers (remember, the scene at school was well after they already knew about them). Show him well into his career as Superman with maybe some pictures in his apartment of his parents or him as a kid or something. Batman doesn't always feel the need to do an origin. The first Batman movie didn't and neither did TAS. Maybe have a scene where he goes back home and Pa makes mention of the first time they discovered his powers. One throw away line. And then move the story along from there.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

I'd go with rescue as the top option. Much as I dislike the use of Superman so far in the DCEU, I'd prefer we move on and forward. And none of the problems I have with the DCEU take are the result of Cavill. In interviews he is a charming guy, so I'd love to see him bring that element to the character.

Failing that my second option would be my personal least favorite but the one I think unfortunately makes the better sense than the other two. Go with no Superman at all. Send him to space looking on some long-term mission. If Cavill can be coaxed into an extended cameo- kill the character on camera.

Third option would be reboot. As a Superman fan this would be my second choice, but for the DCEU I really wouldn't want to mess with what has been established so far. And while I'd pay out of my own pocket to wipe parts of the MOS origin from history, I agree there have been too many origins done and we don't need to add to it.

And they only way I'd go for a recast is if it was something like the Flashpoint rumor where we were getting an onscreen reason behind the change. For example, if the guy from the Supergirl TV show came in and we were told he was in fact that character somehow moved into the DCEU. Not pushing for him, just thought it was the easiest example of explaining a recast.