Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cinematic Clark: Rescue, Re-brand, Reboot, or Replace?

I've been avoiding these topics concerning Henry Cavill's contract breakdowns, and will probably talk about that later in a more appropriate thread.

But for now, let's go over what our own preferences for the future are in a game I like to call:

RESCUE, RE-CAST, REPLACE, OR REBOOT?

Allow me to explain those choices a bit more clearly.

A. RESCUE - salvage Henry Cavill in any feasible manner, even if it's just guest appearances in other DCEU films for a while instead of direct to MOS2. No re-casting at all.

B. RE-CAST (RE-BRAND) - Accept that Henry is likely done, but don't replace the character nor start over. Plug in another actor of relatively equal value who is more flexible pay-wise. This is where not-bad alternatives such as "John Krasinski as the new DCEU Superman" land.

C. REPLACE - keep current continuity, but Remove the character of Clark Kent himself off the board. Let one of his "alternates", such as Kara Zor-El, Lar Gand, Karen Starr, Val-Zod, Calvin Ellis, Keenan Kong, or Hernan Guerra take over for Clark Kent in-story.

D. REBOOT - this would require a deliberate shelving of the film franchise for any number of years before starting over from scratch without any attachment whatsoever to the DCEU ... more than likely nothing till, say, 2028.

So, list your preferences in order, from most-desired outcome to least desired outcome.

Me:

It goes A.B.D.C.

Rescue is #1.

Recast is #2.

Reboot is #3.

And Replace is #56789, or just dead-last.

You?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-16-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Me:

It goes A.B.D.C.

Rescue is #1.

Recast is #2.

Reboot is #3.

And Replace is #56789, or just dead-last.

You?
    Same opinion here. Henry deserves another chance!

I don't even know. They're all such awful options, its actually hard to choose which is the least evil. That's how badly WB mismanaged the character.

I suppose I'd go with Rescue, on the off-chance the insulting nothing-but-cameo deal would really take to the fans, maybe like Diana's did in BvS. But I don't know if that's in the realm of reality or wishful thinking.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Me: Keep Cavill, ignore BvS and Justice League. Bring Brainiac.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Rescuing Cavill, but only if he gets a movie. None of this passive aggressive (on WB's part) cameo BS.

Re-casting would be the next best thing provided it comes with a solo film or cameos that are guaranteed to lead to a solo film.

Replacing is dead last.

Just simply reboot. Bring in new actors as needed, and simply tell the next directors and writers that they only need to consider Wonder Woman, and possibly Aquaman and Shazam in their next movies.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

D. I was never a fan of the DCEU so this is an easy choice for me. All but WW got panned so it's not like it would be a huge loss all things considered. That having been said, I don't see WB letting the DCU go without movies for an extended period of time.

A. This is one of those "made your bed so now you have to lay in it" situations. I think it would be easier on them to try and salvage something from it. They can build it around WW if they have to. But they've already invested so much money in this universe. I think they'd prefer to just keep going with what they have rather than go through the headache of having to start again. Just give the guy his damn sequel already!

C&B are both equally undesirable. Anyone who replaces him will just be seen as "the guy who replaced Cavill"and we already have a universe without a Superman, it's called the main Arrow-verse.
    Assassinate Putin!

Do we actually need another retelling of Superman's origin?
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Recast, like they did with Keaton's Batman, but don't get too campy. Kilmer and Clooney weren't the problem, it was the script. Agreed we don't need yet another origin story.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Do we actually need another retelling of Superman's origin?
    Yes, we need it. And also having Doomsday killing him again. /sarcasm

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Yes, I'd avoid a full reboot just because it's the closest we have to a sure bet we won't be seeing Doomsday again.

You KNOW they'd trot that out again if they could get away with it.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    You know what we need? Another Pa death scene!
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Full reboot, but keep Cavill.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    You know what we need? Another Pa death scene!
    Somehow, I think DC wants Jonathan to be for Superman what Uncle Ben was for Spider-Man: the parental figure who dies just so that the hero can get the motivation to go and save the world.

I dont care what they do. Cavill is my favorite live-action Superman but I'm done with DC movies until wiser minds are put in charge.

Well, I might take the kids to see Shazam. They really loved that trailer. But that's for their sake, not mine.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.