Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

My friends named their kid Batman.

Batman [Last Name Redacted] ... because they let their oldest child (age 4 at the time) name their newest son.

He's 8 now and in counseling and on several IEPs. Smart kids but gets bullied so much it has caused psychological harm.

He's asked for a name change and they told him it would upset his now 12 year-old brother. Older Bro told them to let him change his name and asked, "Who let's a child name another child!?"

I'm not super good friends with them anymore because of how they treat their children but their kids live at our house pretty much.

That aside, did anybody's nerd sense tingle with the Star Wars/Star Trek names merged into one? They have to be kept separate!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 09-18-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Batman [Last Name Redacted] ... because they let their oldest child (age 4 at the time) name their newest son.

He's 8 now and in counseling and on several IEPs. Smart kids but gets bullied so much it has caused psychological harm.

He's asked for a name change and they told him it would upset his now 12 year-old brother. Older Bro told them to let him change his name and asked, "Who let's a child name another child!?"

I'm not super good friends with them anymore because of how they treat their children but their kids live at our house pretty much.

That aside, did anybody's nerd sense tingle with the Star Wars/Star Trek names merged into one? They have to be kept separate!
    I worked with a girl that had a friend that was named by her older brother. He named her April after April O'neal.

Astonishing Member

At least April a passable name in and of itself. I've known people who've let the older kid 'name' the new baby, so that they feel involved. But those parents came up with like three names themselves and then the other kid got to choose. So older kid is still thrilled that they named the baby and poor baby doesn't spend his childhood in torment.

My friends named their kid Batman
    I'm amazed they could even do that. There are no laws about that in the states? I know that where i live you can't give to your child a name who could be too detrimental for him/her.

One famous example, well, well-known where i live at least lol, is from a couple. Family name : Renault. They wanted to call their daughter Megane. Which is a perfectly normal name.

Buuuuuut, Megane Renault or more precisely, Renault Megane, also happens to me the name of a car. (a kinda popular one)

They named their kid Obi Wan?

I mean, they could have at least let it be a nickname, and named him Obediah Juan [Name Redacted].
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Here in the Netherlands, it's mostly up to the civil servant deciding if a name is inappropriate or not, but no name is specifically forbidden. Some rejected names include Marieke Methadon, Urine, and Dienaar van God (Servant of God). Notably, famous Dutch motivational guru Emile Ratelband had two baby names rejected, for his son Frans Rolls Royce in 1977 (simply renamed Frans), and for his daughter Tsjakkalotte ('tsjakka' is Ratelband's self-motivational catchphrase) who was renamed Ninette.

Curiously, a couple that wanted to name their daughter B'Elana, after B'Elanna Torres from Voyager, was initially denied that name, because the civil servant interpreted the apostrophe as an abbreviation and decided that they should name the child Belana instead. But the parents took it to court and were able to keep the name. (what makes it curious is that they stuck to the spelling with single N and not double N)
    This was a particularly uptight civil servant, considering there are over 40 girls in the Netherlands with a variation on the name B'Elanna.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

My three year old son wanted us to call his new sister "Computer Rabbit". We didn't go with it.

When I worked at Toys R Us, there was a family that frequently came in with a kind named Anakin.

The kid was completely out of control, constantly running away from them and pulling things off the shelves and leaving them on the floor.
    Last edited by Alan2099; 09-19-2018 at 04:39 PM.

I can't really be fully against nerdy names, my first name is Kyle and my dad really enjoyed Terminator, but still you can at least be a little more subtle about it.

Your kid is going to go to school with that name, eventually trying to hook up with girls or boys with that name, apply for jobs with that name, a little restraint may save the kid from therapy.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    They named their kid Obi Wan?

I mean, they could have at least let it be a nickname, and named him Obediah Juan [Name Redacted].
    Obi is a legit name of African origins

Quote Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
    His full name is Obi-Wan Tibberius Magic Smith. I don't feel I'm doxxing anyone by revealing their last name is Smith. I'm like the only person that dosn't think it's a big deal. My sis was all like, "Your imposing your media on the kid". I mean the very act of naming your child imposes your culture on them. That is inherit in the naming processes. My moms friend named her kid Reno, after a character from the T.V. show Renegade and the only way ANYONE remembers that show is from a bit they did on MST3K.
    If you get rid of the hyphen, then ignore most of he rest of the full name, Obi is perfectly fine for a name. Obi Smith, or Obi W.T.M. Smith
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
    I worked with a girl that had a friend that was named by her older brother. He named her April after April O'neal.
    At least that his normal and a hidden reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I'm amazed they could even do that. There are no laws about that in the states? I know that where i live you can't give to your child a name who could be too detrimental for him/her.

One famous example, well, well-known where i live at least lol, is from a couple. Family name : Renault. They wanted to call their daughter Megane. Which is a perfectly normal name.

Buuuuuut, Megane Renault or more precisely, Renault Megane, also happens to me the name of a car. (a kinda popular one)
    Nope, no laws here. Just massive therapy bills and lots of school shootings.
    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    My three year old son wanted us to call his new sister "Computer Rabbit". We didn't go with it.
    Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I can't really be fully against nerdy names, my first name is Kyle and my dad really enjoyed Terminator, but still you can at least be a little more subtle about it.

Your kid is going to go to school with that name, eventually trying to hook up with girls or boys with that name, apply for jobs with that name, a little restraint may save the kid from therapy.
    That is a normal name and a well hidden reference. So that is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Obi is a legit name of African origins

If you get rid of the hyphen, then ignore most of he rest of the full name, Obi is perfectly fine for a name. Obi Smith, or Obi W.T.M. Smith
    $10 bucks says the kid is not of immediate African decent.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

At least that his normal and a hidden reference.

Nope, no laws here. Just massive therapy bills and lots of school shootings.

Good!

That is a normal name and a well hidden reference. So that is fine.

$10 bucks says the kid is not of immediate African decent.
    My mother gave me a name she thought was Irish, turns out it's origins are Russian/Hebrew. I'm not Russian, I'm not Hebrew, and I might not even be Irish.

My mother gave me a name she thought was Irish, turns out it's origins are Russian/Hebrew. I'm not Russian, I'm not Hebrew, and I might not even be Irish.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Obi-Wan Tibberius Magic's parents weren't secretly trying to connect him to his long lost Nigerian heritage.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Obi-Wan Tibberius Magic's parents weren't secretly trying to connect him to his long lost Nigerian heritage.
    Probably not, but then again not every parent looks up a name on 'nameberry.com' before choosing it. If my mother had gone with the spelling I use here, I doubt she would have known that it is also Japanese.

Just saying that parents choose names for the kids for the strangest reasons, but most often because they like the sound of it and think it's cool. Name origins are not alawsy high on a parents' list of things to look into before making a choice.

Just saying that parents choose names for the kids for the strangest reasons, but most often because they like the sound of it and think it's cool
    Which is precisely the main issue here. Those parents didn't think for a second about the kid, just about themselves.

Should you name your kid Ringo just because you love that drummer? No freaking no. It's a silly name.

That's not about you and what you like or whatever stupidity you happen to be a fan of, it's about the kid. A ridiculous name can hurt his life.