Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Just a few days ago I asked our four year old what we should call her future baby sister.

Her first picks, "Sparkle", "Blueberry Doctor", and "Princess Mononoke".

I had to convince her that family names like "Keira" or names of writers my wife and I admire like "Zora", or "Nella" would all be better.

If it were a boy she doesn't care, "Langston" or "Ellison" are both "OK, I guess".
    I think I have heard of girls being named 'Princess', not that I would recommend it. I never thought of 'Buffy' as a serious girls name until the movie and the series, I used to think it was some kind of nickname.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I'm amazed they could even do that. There are no laws about that in the states?
    Generally, the only laws we have are practical ones: no numerals or pictograms, no obscenities, and some length limitations. Some states, like Kentucky, purposely have no laws because FREEDOM. The courts have deemed child naming to be protected by the 1st and 14th Amendments.

California bans diacritical marks.

Frankly, I'm with Kentucky on this. These sorts of restrictions are disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    $10 bucks says the kid is not of immediate African decent.
    Not that being of a culture has ever been a requirement.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 09-20-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

"Princess Mononoke"
    You are raising her well. Keep up the good work.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Just a few days ago I asked our four year old what we should call her future baby sister.

Her first picks, "Sparkle", "Blueberry Doctor", and "Princess Mononoke".

I had to convince her that family names like "Keira" or names of writers my wife and I admire like "Zora", or "Nella" would all be better.

If it were a boy she doesn't care, "Langston" or "Ellison" are both "OK, I guess".
    It's a semi-original character. It's a blue haired Lollaloopsy Doll she has that she named Blueberry Doctor. She walks around with her and substitutes Blueberry Doctor for Strawberry Shortcake while she sings the SSC Theme Song.
    Good job parental units!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I started introducing her to Miyazaki pretty young. I wanted to make sure she wasn't only seeing Disney movies so when she started watching cartoons we'd slide in stuff like Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service along with Robin Hood and Brave, etc.

Right now she's reaaaaaaaally into Princess Mononoke, The Last Unicorn, and Song of the Sea.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I started introducing her to Miyazaki pretty young. I wanted to make sure she wasn't only seeing Disney movies so when she started watching cartoons we'd slide in stuff like Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service along with Robin Hood and Brave, etc.

Right now she's reaaaaaaaally into Princess Mononoke, The Last Unicorn, and Song of the Sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    It's great!

The daughter of one of my best friend saw Princess Mononoke for the first time when she was only third and a half. I remember : I was there. And she watched it countless time since then. Sometimes I was there too: spending a week at their house during holidays - but the last time was years ago! She was a Miyazaki fan and wanted to be the princess of the wolfs when she grew up.

I saw her last summer and of course we talk about the movie and how young she was at the time : it could have been too scary. She's seventeen now and it's still one of her favourite movies. She's a very clever girl and talks very well about it. The funny part is when she talks about one of her best friends who tried to watch for the first time at fifteen but was too scared.

I used to study Chihiro - don't know the English name with my 12 yo students and they loved it. Always. Porco Rossi is a must too - but I guess maybe for older kids.

Anyway I wish the best for you; your daughter and your family! You're doing good as Mormel said.

(Kevie is a beautiful name, btw!)

(I prefer not comment the OP... Being from the same country than Starter Set, I wonder how is it even possible tbh...)
    Last edited by Abe; 09-20-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

My dad and I both tried watching Princess Mononoke with my son when he was young. He got bored and wanted something else, much to our disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    My dad and I both tried watching Princess Mononoke with my son when he was young. He got bored and wanted something else, much to our disappointment.
    I was kind of surprised she liked PM, but was just kind of "meh" about Spirited Away.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Being named "Obi-Wan" is the equivalence of being named Maurice, Merrill or Lawrence. Congratulations on purposely having your son picked on, ridiculed or Allah-forbid bullied for the rest of his life.

A lot of you millennials are really, really horrible human beings.

Makes me wonder what the parents of that kid would say if they were to read that thread.

-damn...do you think we made a mistake?

-i told you that Wicket was a better choice!!

Astonishing Member

They could have showed their nerd love by naming him Luke James Smith. Star Wars and Star Trek names right there with no psychological damage.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Being named "Obi-Wan" is the equivalence of being named Maurice, Merrill or Lawrence. Congratulations on purposely having your son picked on, ridiculed or Allah-forbid bullied for the rest of his life.

A lot of you millennials are really, really horrible human beings.
    Like those who blame victims... like you?
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    They could have showed their nerd love by naming him Luke James Smith. Star Wars and Star Trek names right there with no psychological damage.
    Or very simply by using Obi-Wan as a middle name. Lot of people have silly middle names, no problem. You can even call your kid John Jar-Jar Smith or Frank Gandalf Smith without it being a big deal.

If the kid hates it, well, at least he or she has the possibility to ignore it. You let the child some options. Options that he doesn't have anymore if his first name is freaking Obi-Wan.

Extraordinary Member

This was a terrible idea and I wouldn't be surprised if this kid is bullied in school. Kids are vicious.

My friend's last name is Stine and he joked that he would name his son Franklin. When it came time he didn't.