Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Default The Reign of the Sentries: Give Me Your Top 4 Suggestions

If Marvel were ever to produce a Reign of the Supermen type homage story arc involving the Sentry, which 4 existing Marvel characters do you think would make suitable stand-ins for Bob/Sentry?

Just to refresh, DC's Reign of the Supermen arc takes place after the death of Superman. While the world believed him to be dead, 4 individuals stepped in -- Superboy, Steel, Cyborg Superman and Eradicator -- each in his own way representing some facet of the Superman mythos.

In the Sentry's case, there are no shortage of existing Marvel characters (man, woman, and everything in between) who could step in admirably. But given the above criteria, which 4 would you pick?

P.S.: The purpose of this thread is not to start a raging debate over whether or not Sentry is a Superman analog. Kindly refrain from such commentary. I'm simply drafting a bit of fanfiction where one of Marvel's most powerful characters seemingly perishes, thus leading to a void (pun intended) that has to be filled ere all is lost.

P.S. P.S.: Yes, the "sub-Sentries" as I call them all have to look good in yellow and blue. I'll likely draw the characters as a visual aid at some point.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Just to be kind of overly literal, a good Superboy analogue, with similar powers to the Sentry would be A) Kid Gladiator, B) America Chavez or C) Nova. Nova, IMO, would be the best choice, and probably look fine in blue and yellow (since his current outfit already is yellow and dark blue/black).

Others with kind of appropriate powers, like Thor, Hyperion, Blue Marvel, Carol Danvers, various Eternals (like Ikaris or Thena) or Hercules are already their own thing, and seem unlikely / less appropriate to be 'replacing the Sentry,' who is kind of a Johnny-come-lately compared to them (particularly the gods and prime Eternals), who've been around for centuries, if not millennia).

Rogue, as an 'ex-girlfriend' (regardless of how controversial that is) of the Sentry, might also make a suitable person to take up his mantle in his honor (at least, pre-married-to-Gambit Rogue...). As a plus, her flying brick powerset, stolen from Carol Danvers, is on-theme. Also, also, she looks good in anything.

BANNED

How about Cyclops?He had a void sliver in his head.
    Speaking of that i couldn't find sentry's thread for couple of pages so here i ask did new sentry series told us anything about that void sliver inside Cyke's head?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Just to be kind of overly literal, a good Superboy analogue, with similar powers to the Sentry would be A) Kid Gladiator, B) America Chavez or C) Nova. Nova, IMO, would be the best choice, and probably look fine in blue and yellow (since his current outfit already is yellow and dark blue/black).

Others with kind of appropriate powers, like Thor, Hyperion, Blue Marvel, Carol Danvers, various Eternals (like Ikaris or Thena) or Hercules are already their own thing, and seem unlikely / less appropriate to be 'replacing the Sentry,' who is kind of a Johnny-come-lately compared to them (particularly the gods and prime Eternals), who've been around for centuries, if not millennia).

Rogue, as an 'ex-girlfriend' (regardless of how controversial that is) of the Sentry, might also make a suitable person to take up his mantle in his honor (at least, pre-married-to-Gambit Rogue...). As a plus, her flying brick powerset, stolen from Carol Danvers, is on-theme. Also, also, she looks good in anything.
    Thanks, some great suggestions here, especially Rogue. I would not have thought about adding her to the ranks, but you're right: she'd make a good sub Sentry.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    How about Cyclops?He had a void sliver in his head.
    Speaking of that i couldn't find sentry's thread for couple of pages so here i ask did new sentry series told us anything about that void sliver inside Cyke's head?
    Cyclops had a piece of the Void??? I didn't know that. Do you remember which issue(s) of the X-Men where this was mentioned?

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Cyclops had a piece of the Void??? I didn't know that. Do you remember which issue(s) of the X-Men where this was mentioned?
    It was part of the Utopia storyline, I think, during Dark Reign? Emma Frost went into Sentry's head to help him, and he fled the battle field once that was done, but Emma came out of it stuck in diamond form because of a 'void sliver'. Not my favorite interpretation of the Void, but I've always felt that its later transferal to SCott, and Scott sealing it away in his head, would be a useful way to exculpate Summer for some of his later, more dubious actions if they felt it necessary. I think this is talked about on Sentry's wiki page and you can find references to the issue numbers there.

There's been nothing about the 'void sliver' in the new series TBH, I don't erven think the Void should be /able/ to 'sliver' in the first place, but that goes back to that whole era not being a great interpretation of Sentry or Void.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It was part of the Utopia storyline, I think, during Dark Reign? Emma Frost went into Sentry's head to help him, and he fled the battle field once that was done, but Emma came out of it stuck in diamond form because of a 'void sliver'. Not my favorite interpretation of the Void, but I've always felt that its later transferal to SCott, and Scott sealing it away in his head, would be a useful way to exculpate Summer for some of his later, more dubious actions if they felt it necessary. I think this is talked about on Sentry's wiki page and you can find references to the issue numbers there.

There's been nothing about the 'void sliver' in the new series TBH, I don't erven think the Void should be /able/ to 'sliver' in the first place, but that goes back to that whole era not being a great interpretation of Sentry or Void.
    Thank you.