Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Its interesting how so many upcoming DC movies are period pieces...

We've already had the first WW movie, set in 1917. Now, in the next few years, we're getting-

-Wonder Woman '84, set in 1984.

-Joker, rumored to be set in the 1980's.

-Supergirl, rumored to be set in the 1970's.

Add to that the fact that Matt Reeves' Batman film is supposedly set in Batman's early years and might not be set in the present-day as a result.

It does make me wonder if this is the way forward for DC. Doing away with the shared universe and setting their films in the past, during the heyday of superhero comic-books.

Fox's X-men films of course are what set the ball rolling on period pieces, but the MCU has also done a fair bit as well. Maybe its now DC's turn.

Theres also a strong suspicion its to avoid the mess the modern snyderverse is.

Retired

If THE FLASH (Flashpoint) had come out earlier this year, as originally planned, then all these movies would be coming out after those events. So maybe the original plan was to have FLASH set up alternative timelines, but while they pushed back THE FLASH all those other developments are still happening as if the movie had come out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If THE FLASH (Flashpoint) had come out earlier this year, as originally planned, then all these movies would be coming out after those events. So maybe the original plan was to have FLASH set up alternative timelines, but while they pushed back THE FLASH all those other developments are still happening as if the movie had come out.
    That's an interesting theory.

Though WW '84 was always on the cards and more or less fits in with established continuity without the need for any alternate timeline explanation (though we don't know yet if it contradicts anything from BvS and JL or not). And Joker was set up to be part of a different continuity/line anyway.

This Supergirl movie, if the rumors are true, is an altogether different matter though. Because they seem to be setting Supergirl up to be one of the new faces of DC Films, and as a replacement to Superman. So it doesn't seem likely that she's just gonna be shunted into some other continuity/universe separate from the other films. Chances are they'll try to get her to co-exist in some form with the other characters. So in her case, some kind of alternate timeline explanation might be necessary.

Retired

The thing is, if Supergirl is supposed to come to Earth in advance of Kal-El, the 1970s seems much too early. She could come in the 1980s or the 1990s and there would still be time for Kal-El to grow up on Earth and become Superman in our time. So maybe this '70s Supergirl isn't supposed to be in continuity with MAN OF STEEL.

Setting Supergirl in the 70's is baffling to me. The studio might see this as a way of separating her from the rest of the Snyderverse and Cavill's possible departure...but it creates far more problems than it solves. A 70's Supergirl can't intersect with a shared universe, so becomes an oddity. And if they ARE recasting Superman, this would be the perfect time to introduce a new actor in a secondary role in the film. This reeks of everything that went wrong with the Helen Slater film (arguing away everything that is important about the Supergirl mythos except Krypton).

What are you even trying to do here WB?
    Last edited by astro@work; 09-17-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing is, if Supergirl is supposed to come to Earth in advance of Kal-El, the 1970s seems much too early. She could come in the 1980s or the 1990s and there would still be time for Kal-El to grow up on Earth and become Superman in our time. So maybe this '70s Supergirl isn't supposed to be in continuity with MAN OF STEEL.
    My theory is that Kara's rocket goes through some kind of space-time anomaly that leads to her landing in the 1970's.

That might also be what reboots the DCEU timeline, if they don't go ahead with a Flashpoint film. Supergirl arriving on earth and making herself known decades before Superman did could have a knock-on effect that radically affects the present-day DCEU.

the period piece would work more for lesser known characters like starman/hourman and more street level heroes such as hawk and dove/dr. midnite.

With Wonder Woman, I have no doubt it's because she could be a feminist icon defying old-fashioned patriarchy without offending some contemporary folks' sensibilities by being y'know - a feminist. (remains to be seen if that's also why Supergirl and Capt Marvel are also period pieces)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-17-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Retired

I hope the Spielberg Blackhawk movie is going ahead and it's a period piece.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Fox's X-men films of course are what set the ball rolling on period pieces, but the MCU has also done a fair bit as well. Maybe its now DC's turn.

Don't forget that Captain America: The First Avenger debuted less than two months after XMFC.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    With Wonder Woman, I have no doubt it's because she could be a feminist icon defying old-fashioned patriarchy without offending some contemporary folks' sensibilities by being y'know - a feminist. (remains to be seen if that's also why Supergirl and Capt Marvel are also period pieces)
    I think the real question should be why every major solo female Superhero movie these days has to be a period piece ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Honestly, I didn't find anything particularly 'feminist' about the WW movie - at least not in some explicit political sense. Patty Jenkins has said that the real motive behind setting the movie during WW1 was to explore a war which hasn't been explored as much in pop-culture as WW2, and also to expose Diana, with her strong moral code, to a more morally ambiguous conflict.

I dunno what the thought process with Captain Marvel being set in the 90's is. I guess they just decided it had to be a prequel and figured they might as well go the period piece route and do it in the 90's.

If Captain Marvel wasnt a period piece the question becomes "where the **** was she during everything else"

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Honestly, I didn't find anything particularly 'feminist' about the WW movie - at least not in some explicit political sense. Patty Jenkins has said that the real motive behind setting the movie during WW1 was to explore a war which hasn't been explored as much in pop-culture as WW2, and also to expose Diana, with her strong moral code, to a more morally ambiguous conflict.
    Yup. Wonder Woman was more feminist in what it represented or showed rather than it anything it did. Now, the 1984 setting is interesting here. You get the AIDS crisis, the Cold War (which makes so much more sense with Athena as the antagonist rather than Ares), and it was a pivotal period for the modern LGBT movement. But from a feminist perspective, the late 60s and the 70s are arguably more interesting.

So I wouldn't be surprised if WW84 tries to use various queer perspectives, especially since Patty Jenkins is knowledgable and engaged in those issues. (I seem to remember an early set photo showing a slogan about AIDS awareness.)