Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Honestly, I didn't find anything particularly 'feminist' about the WW movie - at least not in some explicit political sense. Patty Jenkins has said that the real motive behind setting the movie during WW1 was to explore a war which hasn't been explored as much in pop-culture as WW2, and also to expose Diana, with her strong moral code, to a more morally ambiguous conflict.
    Really? I had read (probably on Bleeding Cool) that they had originally planned to set it in WW2, but they changed it to avoid comparisons with Captain America. That might have been speculation though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Yup. Wonder Woman was more feminist in what it represented or showed rather than it anything it did. Now, the 1984 setting is interesting here. You get the AIDS crisis, the Cold War (which makes so much more sense with Athena as the antagonist rather than Ares), and it was a pivotal period for the modern LGBT movement. But from a feminist perspective, the late 60s and the 70s are arguably more interesting.

So I wouldn't be surprised if WW84 tries to use various queer perspectives, especially since Patty Jenkins is knowledgable and engaged in those issues. (I seem to remember an early set photo showing a slogan about AIDS awareness.)
    Yeah, that would certainly be interesting. Also the notion of Diana being involved in these movements in her civilian identity and having her own perspective on them might be intriguing. I wouldn't want it to be a major focus of the movie of course, but its something I'd love to see at least mentioned.

To the comic book fan in me, the appeal of a period piece is that we get to see superheroes operating during the heyday of comic-books, particularly DC and Marvel comic-books. Many of the big superhero franchises really came into their own during the 60's, 70's and 80's so it would be a treat to see the heroes on the big-screen represented during that period of time. Its why I've loved the X-men First Class series.

It would be great if The Batman were set in the 1960s. Apparently Matt Reeves is a big fan of the Adam West Batman. And I don't know of any movie currently in development set in the 1960s, which is a great era
    to explore because of the social upheavals, the Vietnam war, hippies, rock and roll becoming a bigger deal, civil rights, the drug culture. A non-campy version of Batman of that era would be an interesting concept.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It would be great if The Batman were set in the 1960s. Apparently Matt Reeves is a big fan of the Adam West Batman. And I don't know of any movie currently in development set in the 1960s, which is a great era
    to explore because of the social upheavals, the Vietnam war, hippies, rock and roll becoming a bigger deal, civil rights, the drug culture. A non-campy version of Batman of that era would be an interesting concept.
    I'd love a Batman period piece but I don't think the 60's is the way to go for that. I think the 60's pretty much belong to Adam West as far as Batman goes, and rightly so.

IMO, the 70's or 80's would be a great period setting for Batman - particularly the latter. Of course, its long been my dream to see a Batman film set in 1939 (live-action OR animated)!

The only superhero film I particularly want to see as a 60's period piece is the Fantastic Four.

Retired

NEW FRONTIER would make an interesting live action movie or series. Maybe somewhere down the road when they have the resources to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    So I wouldn't be surprised if WW84 tries to use various queer perspectives, especially since Patty Jenkins is knowledgable and engaged in those issues. (I seem to remember an early set photo showing a slogan about AIDS awareness.)
    It's too bad they didn't see fit to bring back Allan Heinberg as he would have some perspective on the 1980s. I don't know why Geoff Johns is in there--did he need the work?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Really? I had read (probably on Bleeding Cool) that they had originally planned to set it in WW2, but they changed it to avoid comparisons with Captain America. That might have been speculation though.
    I vaguely recall reading that as well.

Its a possibility of course, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the deciding factor.

Wonder Woman is so closely associated with the WW2 era that I doubt anyone would have accussed them of ripping off Marvel (then again, there are people who believe Darkseid was ripped off from Thanos, so who knows...)
    Last edited by bat39; 09-18-2018 at 10:11 AM.

MoS-Kara could easily be around in the 70s. They paved the way for that in the tie-in book.

She could even be the (non-hope-based) Kryptonian that kept Steppenwolf at bay before Kal arrived and maybe even have been part of the God-Squad that took him down all those years ago.

She decides not to stay on Earth but pops back now and then.

She disappeared in August 1977, after the WOW signal...

... to stop Brainiac.

Or she could be that Kara's descendant or something.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    MoS-Kara could easily be around in the 70s. They paved the way for that in the tie-in book.

She could even be the (non-hope-based) Kryptonian that kept Steppenwolf at bay before Kal arrived and maybe even have been part of the God-Squad that took him down all those years ago.

She decides not to stay on Earth but pops back now and then.

She disappeared in August 1977, after the WOW signal...

... to stop Brainiac.

Or she could be that Kara's descendant or something.
    That's certainly an interesting perspective, and one they might have built on had they been building on from Snyder's DCEU.

I feel though that if they are trying to project Supergirl as their next big brand, they will try to hew a LOT closer to comics canon.

That's why I think my time-travel idea could work. You could keep the basics of her origin intact. She'd still be Kara, daughter of Zor-El and Allura. She could still be rocketed to earth before or around the same time as Kal-El. But, unlike the comics, where she reaches earth decades after Kal-El, she could have gone through a space-time warp of some sort and arrived on earth earlier than him.

Supergirl's presence on earth in the 1970's could also be used to 'reboot' the DCEU in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    That's certainly an interesting perspective, and one they might have built on had they been building on from Snyder's DCEU.
    I have my issues with the Snyderverse, but a large part of me just wants to have them push forward with the world they've just about built the foundations to

I feel though that if they are trying to project Supergirl as their next big brand, they will try to hew a LOT closer to comics canon.

That's why I think my time-travel idea could work. You could keep the basics of her origin intact. She'd still be Kara, daughter of Zor-El and Allura. She could still be rocketed to earth before or around the same time as Kal-El. But, unlike the comics, where she reaches earth decades after Kal-El, she could have gone through a space-time warp of some sort and arrived on earth earlier than him.
    It could work, I agree. There are so many approaches that could be used in order to tie things together. She could, for example, be a Genesis-chamber-member of the House of El that was born on one of the outposts (maybe they called it Argo or even Kandor) and escaped from Brainiac (but that would still be Snyderverse).

Supergirl's presence on earth in the 1970's could also be used to 'reboot' the DCEU in a sense.
    When they first announced BvS, I imagined the 'older Batman' to be a Batman from an alternate universe, who arrives to both warn and recruit Superman but realises that this world is 'wrong' - that something had clearly stopped Clark from becoming Superman sooner and that the Age of Heroes has been messed up. A multiversal chess game...

Heck, Kara being in the 70s could even be a nod to Time and Time Again (which is a story I've always wanted them to make a movie (live action or animated, I don't care) of, and has always been a part of my personal Superman quintology ) or even bring in the Legion. We could skip all the 'learning how to use her powers and finding out about various Earth-things' and have her 'established' and ready, just a little lost in time... although, of course, there would be some adjustment to being in world without the internet, for example.