Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Pretty funny how Gold and Blue dropped like a rock with their follow-ups announced, which shows their relatively stable numbers were largely the result of them being the flagship books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Where is Domino?

Also surprised that X-Termination #1 sold only 55k.
    It's a book about O5,not really surprising.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Pretty funny how Gold and Blue dropped like a rock with their follow-ups announced, which shows their relatively stable numbers were largely the result of them being the flagship books.
    Aren't they under 33k anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Where is Domino?

Also surprised that X-Termination #1 sold only 55k.
    Argh, with that many titles to list it doesn't surprise me I missed one. Sorry!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Question: can comic book stores choose how many issues they order or do publishers only ship comics in certain increments?
    And it says it's numbers provided by Diamond Comic Distributors...but are there any other distributors out there?
    I'm just curious I have no idea how this stuff works but love looking at the numbers.

Gold only a little under red with so many more issues.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Question: can comic book stores choose how many issues they order or do publishers only ship comics in certain increments?
    And it says it's numbers provided by Diamond Comic Distributors...but are there any other distributors out there?
    I'm just curious I have no idea how this stuff works but love looking at the numbers.
    The shop orders however many copies of each book that they want. Orders are placed three weeks before a book comes out. So in the case of double shipping books, orders for the second issue are due before we know how well the first issue sold off the rack. For that reason, orders on the second issue of a series are often misleading. Keep in mind that these numbers aren't the number of comics actually sold to customers, but the number of comics ordered by stores. Things like rack appeal, word of mouth, positive reviews, surprise hit characters and non-advertised happenings do not impact these numbers at all. These numbers were set and nothing was going to change them.

Ordering numbers get skewed for a variety of reasons. The main reason is that Diamond offers discounts based on how many comics a store orders. These discounts vary wildly and are seemingly totally random. For example, for the first issue of, say, Iceman, they will say "Order 120% of your past order for X Men Blue #14 to qualify for improved discount". The discounts are typically tiered. They vary from store to store and are designed to entice you to stretch your order so you get the discount, even if you aren't confident you can sell the extra copies. The biggest example I can remember was for the Marvel Legacy One Shot... the discounts were structured so that we ordered an extra fifty copies we almost certainly couldn't sell (and ended up not selling) because the discount was so large at the 100 copy threshold. It was literally a few dollars more for us to order a hundred copies instead of fifty. Variant covers are the second biggest reason numbers are misleading. I could go on for pages. Check out the "Tilting at Windmills" column if you're interested in the nitty gritty of sales, it's a fascinating column by a veteran comic store owner.

Thats a bit of a clickbait title. Theres's only a 2 hundred that separates them. That is hardly a significant difference. The two sold about the same

Astonishing Member

These also aren't the actual numbers that were sold to stores. Neither Marvel or Diamond release the actual numbers, diamond has a ranking and someone else estimates what they think the number are. And these numbers also don't include digital or international.

Wow! Just saw that F4 #1 sold 368,914k. Wasn`t expecting that.

Interesting how will do Uncanny for 8$.

BANNED

Both X-Men Gold 33,34 and Annual 2 were boring.

I am not surprised of the low sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Not in the United States.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Readers probably expected some revelation in X-men Gold. Probably they must have been disappointed after they bought it.

this is sad but around 30k is not bad for most books

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Both X-Men Gold 33,34 and Annual 2 were boring.

I am not surprised of the low sales.
    The perceived quality of those books did not impact sales. Those numbers represent orders that were placed three weeks before the books shipped, not the actual number of books sold to customers.