I hope this doesn't upset anyone, but I thought that Eve Ewing really had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make or the ideas I was trying to flush out, so maybe I will try this again and it will not meltdown into a broad discussion on race and politics in America.

It has been said and generally understood in Sports Radio that the fans take the sport more seriously that the players or the teams. The players have their own concerns. They want to get paid. They are training. Team owners trade players to pursue profits. But for fans, it is quite simple. They attend games and root for their favorite players, and can get more upset over the strike out on a 3-2 curveball than a player can afford to.

Now, over generations, we have dozens of characters which seemingly have taken a life of their own. They are cultural icons, such as Superman, Batman, Spider-man, and Wolverine, etc.

It can be argued that fans are better keepers of their characters place in literature than even the creators of these works. Clearly we have had cases which editors and writers have seemingly done damage to characters which in the end alienate fans, even destroying the market value os these characters. These writers enter into agreement to work on titles, and they often have little background on the characters, and a mandate to pump out new material every month. This is direct conflict with fandom which cherishes titles, and characters and expect a constant standard in the product and character.

Who then is the better steward of the comic characters that are being created? The writers and artists? The editors and corporate? Or the fans?