Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    I've look at this and are clueless what you are refering to here!!
    Jacob Free is named after Jacob Kurtzberg aka Jack Kirby, the creator of Scott & Barda. Funky Flashman was originally a biting satire of Stan Lee by Kirby, who felt taken advantage of by Lee. Having Kirby's Stan Lee surrogate being given the role of loving babysitter to an infant meant to be a reincarnated Jack Kirby surrogate is a simply beautiful touch. Tom King confirmed this was indeed his intention during John Suntries's superlative Word Balloon interviews with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Jacob Free is named after Jacob Kurtzberg aka Jack Kirby, the creator of Scott & Barda. Funky Flashman was originally a biting satire of Stan Lee by Kirby, who felt taken advantage of by Lee. Having Kirby's Stan Lee surrogate being given the role of loving babysitter to an infant meant to be a reincarnated Jack Kirby surrogate is a simply beautiful touch. Tom King confirmed this was indeed his intention during John Suntries's superlative Word Balloon interviews with him.
    I had no idea. Damn, that's good.

This thing is going to go down as one of the greats. Seriously, someday we'l be all like "Oh, new reader? Well, you need Watchmen, DKR, All-Star Superman, and Mister Miracle."

I have no idea where this is going. I do have a couple guesses, but I don't dare even voice them. But I have loved every perfect, amazing panel of this story.

And I don't give a damn about the continuity. Not one tiny bit. Some books are better, and bigger, than continuity and and trying to force them into continuity's shape does the story a great disservice. If this book was built to fit inside the DCU, sweet. If not? Still perfect.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

This thing is going to go down as one of the greats. Seriously, someday we'l be all like "Oh, new reader? Well, you need Watchmen, DKR, All-Star Superman, and Mister Miracle."

I have no idea where this is going. I do have a couple guesses, but I don't dare even voice them. But I have loved every perfect, amazing panel of this story.

And I don't give a damn about the continuity. Not one tiny bit. Some books are better, and bigger, than continuity and and trying to force them into continuity's shape does the story a great disservice. If this book was built to fit inside the DCU, sweet. If not? Still perfect.
    What is truly amazing about this series is that the Funky/Jacob scenes are loved as much as they are by people who didn't realize it was a Stan and Jack reference.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    What is truly amazing about this series is that the Funky/Jacob scenes are loved as much as they are by people who didn't realize it was a Stan and Jack reference.

And that one can never underestimate the importance of a Vegetable tray ... And never allow a battle to disrupt your interior decorating plans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

This book is actually better than the Watchmen, DKR and All-Star Superman....

This has really worked out to be an epic story, which profoundly affects the reader.

This has really worked out to be an epic story, which profoundly affects the reader.
    I think I'll wait until I've actually read the final issue to see how King & Gerad stick the landing, and have a little more time to re-read the whole story from start to finish before making any pronouncements like that.

Better than All-Star Superman? I like Mister Miracle a lot but that good? No way.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Better than All-Star Superman? I like Mister Miracle a lot but that good? No way.
    You never know, but the comics world is littered with books that were proclaimed to be better than Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns that nobody brings up again

Thus far, only All-Star Superman has managed to live up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You never know, but the comics world is littered with books that were proclaimed to be better than Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns that nobody brings up again

Thus far, only All-Star Superman has managed to live up to the hype.
    Rightfully so, it's honestly one of the best Superman stories period.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Rightfully so, it's honestly one of the best Superman stories period.
    and not Kingdom Come?

and not Kingdom Come?
    Kingdom Come is more of an analysis of classic super-heroics verse more "modern" anti-hero heroics. It's a story about the old guard being phased out by the young and ruthless, how that affects the world a large. Yeah Superman is a big focus but I wouldn't call it a Superman story directly. It's called Kingdom Come not Superman: Kingdom Come or any variation of that.

Great issue, but I feel pretty convinced now that its all a fever dream of Mr. Miracle after his suicide attempt.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Great issue, but I feel pretty convinced now that its all a fever dream of Mr. Miracle after his suicide attempt.
    That doesn't explain the mirror images of the panels

BANNED

I wanted to go back and reread all-star superman before I commented on this, but yes. IMO, The Mister Miracle is already better than All-Star Superman. I thikn All-Star Superman had some plot problems. The Bizzarro story was nearly impossible to understand. The ending left me in awe, but also confused about what happened. I still don't understand why he returned to life... It is a great comic, but it has some gaps.

I wanted to go back and reread all-star superman before I commented on this, but yes. IMO, The Mister Miracle is already better than All-Star Superman. I thikn All-Star Superman had some plot problems. The Bizzarro story was nearly impossible to understand. The ending left me in awe, but also confused about what happened. I still don't understand why he returned to life... It is a great comic, but it has some gaps.
    I'd be happy to try to clear up any plot problems you may have with All-Star Superman if you'd like. Morrison's stories tend to be a little dense to be completely understood at first. I didn't fully understand what he was doing with Final Crisis until recently and it totally changed my view on that story for the better.