Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    The truth is, it is not worth destroying a good book over continuity issues. At the end of this, something has to give. Too many weird breadcrumbs tossed around the book and the meta-story has yet to have made it clear.
    However this story ends, I will always have a soft-spot in my heart for this series because of the beautifully meta-way King & Gerads healed the rift between Stan Lee & Jack Kirby by making once villainous Funky Flashman the adorably dotting babysitter for Jacob Free. That brings a tear to my eye even now.

Just so damn good. It’s been ages since I’ve been so emotionally invested in a comic and it’s characters. King and Gerads’ ability to mix lightheartedness and gut wrenching terror/sadness is like nothing I’ve seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It's not entirely clear how King is planning on sorting out the NuGods of the New 52 Era with the more Kirby-accurate versions appearing in his series, but that splash page near the end certainly acknowledges that something hinky is going on with the New Gods and the final issue will be dealing with it.

I can't think of anyone who actually prefers the New 52 versions to what King & Gerads have been presenting, so it's very likely we'll have something closer to the original Fourth World characters back in the main DCU by next issue.
    That splash page has me kind of worried. Not about the outcome of the story but that it may show what versions of the New Gods DC considers in continuity. Scott was shown the current versions of DC heroes, possibly meaning that the events of this story didn’t actually happen. I’m just sad that it could mean that New 52 Orion and Highfather are the “official” versions going forward. I really dislike both of those iterations.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Just so damn good. It’s been ages since I’ve been so emotionally invested in a comic and it’s characters. King and Gerads’ ability to mix lightheartedness and gut wrenching terror/sadness is like nothing I’ve seen before.

That splash page has me kind of worried. Not about the outcome of the story but that it may show what versions of the New Gods DC considers in continuity. Scott was shown the current versions of DC heroes, possibly meaning that the events of this story didn’t actually happen. I’m just sad that it could mean that New 52 Orion and Highfather are the “official” versions going forward. I really dislike both of those iterations.
    Given how overwhelmingly unpopular those New 52 versions seem to be, I don't think there's much chance of that

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Based on the state of the New Gods portrayed in the story, it seems unlikely they are the actual New Gods. I suspect a LOT of table setting as well as a few questions are going to arise next issue.

Extraordinary Member

I'm a bit confused. So is the end saying that this is a parallel universe version of Scott and Barda? Or is it saying this is all in Scott's head? Or is it saying that this is Scott's actual life that Dr. Manhattan stole from him and Metron is showing him the result of the time shenanigans and basically saying "Scott, we gotta fix it so you can have this life back."?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Gotta hand it to Darkseid...the guy has style. When was the last time anyone heard of Thanos chilling in a Barcalounger waiting for someone to get home?
    In Countdown as well. The only good thing to come from that series, that and Mary Marvel using Kyle as a club on Donna.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I'm a bit confused. So is the end saying that this is a parallel universe version of Scott and Barda? Or is it saying this is all in Scott's head? Or is it saying that this is Scott's actual life that Dr. Manhattan stole from him and Metron is showing him the result of the time shenanigans and basically saying "Scott, we gotta fix it so you can have this life back."?
    Many will guess, but waiting until next issue is the best we can do.

We don't know yet. Since Morrison established in Final Crisis that the New Gods are literally gods that exist beyond mortal comprehension who exist in different forms throughout the Multiverse, almost anything is possible. However, like I said, it's highly unlikely that DC is going to doggedly stick to the New 52 versions when King & Gerad's more Kirby-faithful versions were so universally well-received. Rather than simply ignore the New 52 NuGods, King's story looks to be explaining them away within the context of whatever Scott is going through.

BANNED

We don't know yet. Since Morrison established in Final Crisis that the New Gods are literally gods that exist beyond mortal comprehension who exist in different forms throughout the Multiverse, almost anything is possible. However, like I said, it's highly unlikely that DC is going to doggedly stick to the New 52 versions when King & Gerad's more Kirby-faithful versions were so universally well-received. Rather than simply ignore the New 52 NuGods, King's story looks to be explaining them away within the context of whatever Scott is going through.
    Morrison wasa obviously not a Jewish Monothesist like Kirby

BANNED

You are supposed to be confused, but let me give you a tip... as a long term comics reader... when you run into a really really good story, F**k the continuity and let the story happen unimpeded under its own steam. The ending is going to be very cool, I think.

BANNED

However this story ends, I will always have a soft-spot in my heart for this series because of the beautifully meta-way King & Gerads healed the rift between Stan Lee & Jack Kirby by making once villainous Funky Flashman the adorably dotting babysitter for Jacob Free. That brings a tear to my eye even now.
    I've look at this and are clueless what you are refering to here!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    So good. For a minute there a though Barda was done for. I couldn’t handle that right now.
    The fact that you could think so demonstrates the power of the storytelling of this book.

Enjoy this book because in 20 years, you will still be enjoying this book...
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 09-24-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Funky is obviously a stand-in for Stan Lee, both here and in the original Kirby stories. Scott and Barda's son is named jacob, after kirby's birth name. Recasting Funky as Jacob Free's babysitter is a deliberate attempt at reconciling the infamous feud between the two, even if just in fiction. Note that the two 'collaborate' on a comic together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Funky is obviously a stand-in for Stan Lee, both here and in the original Kirby stories. Scott and Barda's son is named jacob, after kirby's birth name. Recasting Funky as Jacob Free's babysitter is a deliberate attempt at reconciling the infamous feud between the two, even if just in fiction. Note that the two 'collaborate' on a comic together.
    I failed to see that. So the enitre Marvel Universe is a subplot of the Secret Society of Super Villains? Wow. Elijah Snow was right all along.

BANNED

Jacob is actually Darkside all along..