goldenknight2018

Talking I don't think DC Comics violence captain Marvel trademark on the Shazam cover

because Marvel didn't file register trademark until 1972 this same year shazam arrival on the newsstand, got register trademark in1974, this same year dc remove captain marvel from the cover. that very odd

I found this from
    http://dcuguide.com/forums/viewtopic...15027&start=45

Here is copy from a search of the trademark database clearly showing the trademark for Captain Marvel.

Word Mark CAPTAIN MARVEL
    Goods and Services IC 016. US 038. G & S: PUBLICATIONS, PARTICULARLY COMIC MAGAZINES AND STORIES IN ILLUSTRATED FORM. FIRST USE: 19670914. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19670914
    Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
    Serial Number 72434765
    Filing Date September 5, 1972
    Current Basis 1A
    Original Filing Basis 1A
    Registration Number 0976419
    Registration Date January 8, 1974
    Owner (REGISTRANT) CADENCE INDUSTRIES CORPORATION DBA MARVEL COMICS GROUP CORPORATION DELAWARE 635 MADISON AVE. NEW YORK NEW YORK 10022
    (LAST LISTED OWNER) MARVEL CHARACTERS, INC CORPORATION DELAWARE 500 South Buena Vista Street Burbank CALIFORNIA 91521

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
    Attorney of Record Eli Bard
    Prior Registrations 0854655;0930695;AND OTHERS
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20130925.
    Renewal 3RD RENEW

I believe Fawcett renewal Copyright Captain Marvel adv back in 1968, maybe that why dc used Shazam on the cover but, dc used captain marvel on sub-title for two years.

sadly, look like both Fawcett and dc allow marvel file register captain marvel trademark.

by the way. Jerry Ordway says that in facebook captain marvel other name is Shazam too. some people don't realize that, if Fawcett calls mary marvel shazamgirl, so is captain marvel, Jr is shazam boy and captain marvel other name is Shazam. . I agree with Jerry because he works in dc comics, he know that. . at lest I am glad Marvel and other comics pubicsher did not take Shazam from DC, so it mean Billy Batson is the Heroic Shazam and Captain Marvel. the wizard Shazam is the real name is Jebediah. like lt or not.

I'm not fully sure what you're saying, but the reason they use Shazam! on the cover is because they have the trademark for it and Marvel has the trademark for Captain Marvel. When Fawcett renewed the copyright on Captain Marvel, that did not include the trademark. I am not 100% sure but I think sub-titles aren't counted for trademark? That would allow a by-line, sub-title or other captions to use the name Captain Marvel on the cover as long as the magazine wasn't called Captain Marvel.

Well, Fawcett could NOT have renewed the Captain Marvel trademark in the 1960s because they promised DC in 1953 to stop publishing Captain Marvel comics. So, once a trademark is no longer being used on a product, it will be considered to be abandoned after a time.

Fawcett was able to renew the copyright on the old stories as they expired from their original 28-year term, though. This did begin in 1968.

As far as the subtitle, I think Marvel even objected to DC using "Captain Marvel" in the subtitle, so DC changed the subtitle to "The World's Mightiest Mortal."

As far as the names, I don't want to see "Shazam Boy" and "Shazam Girl" being used. Shazam for Billy is stupid enough for me.

I didn't see "Captain Thunder" being registered as a trademark even though Roy Thomas had a comic series by that name years ago. I wish DC would have used that and been done with it. I will never refer to Billy as "Shazam" no matter what.

Retired

Mary was sometimes called the Shazam Girl in the Fawcett days--not her official name, but a sobriquet like Man of Steel or Dark Knight.

Some of the Fawcett comics are in the public domain--see here--but it's not really profitable for anyone to scan and publish those stories for sale, because you can't trademark Captain Marvel and you can't trademark Shazam without crossing Marvel Comics or DC. You could put a brown paper wrapper on the book and sell it out of the back of your comic shop--but why bother?

I suppose Dynamite could do what they do with other characters they've borrowed without permission--change enough of the character to remove anything that's trademarked and then create new stories around this Admiral Admirable fellow and his family members, Amanda Admirable and Admiral Admirable, Secondary.

They're not going to go with Shazam Girl and Shazam Boy - it goes against the fact they age up to adulthood when they transform, and besides, there's more than one of each gender now. I think colour names would make sense since there's now five secondary Shazams instead of just Mary and Freddy. So Mary becomes Red Shazam, Freddy would be Blue Shazam, and so on. Mary definitely shouldn't have her real first name in her codename like her pre-Flashpoint counterpart. How can she hope to keep her identity secret with a name like Mary Marvel?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'd imagine that the trademarks and copyrights are well defined for WB and Disney especially with nine figure movies coming out for characters for both companies.

Yeah. DC can't market anything as Captain Marvel, so their movie won't use the name at all, and like the current comics, both the film and the character are called Shazam.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Mary was sometimes called the Shazam Girl in the Fawcett days--not her official name, but a sobriquet like Man of Steel or Dark Knight.

Some of the Fawcett comics are in the public domain--see here--but it's not really profitable for anyone to scan and publish those stories for sale, because you can't trademark Captain Marvel and you can't trademark Shazam without crossing Marvel Comics or DC. You could put a brown paper wrapper on the book and sell it out of the back of your comic shop--but why bother?

I suppose Dynamite could do what they do with other characters they've borrowed without permission--change enough of the character to remove anything that's trademarked and then create new stories around this Admiral Admirable fellow and his family members, Amanda Admirable and Admiral Admirable, Secondary.
    Look up Gwandanaland on Amazon. They're a Public Domain reprinting outfit that is printing on demand scanned collections of the PD Fawcett works, among hundreds of other works. It's become an interestingly large part of the print-on-demand sector.

goldenknight2018

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Well, Fawcett could NOT have renewed the Captain Marvel trademark in the 1960s because they promised DC in 1953 to stop publishing Captain Marvel comics. So, once a trademark is no longer being used on a product, it will be considered to be abandoned after a time.

Fawcett was able to renew the copyright on the old stories as they expired from their original 28-year term, though. This did begin in 1968.

As far as the subtitle, I think Marvel even objected to DC using "Captain Marvel" in the subtitle, so DC changed the subtitle to "The World's Mightiest Mortal."

As far as the names, I don't want to see "Shazam Boy" and "Shazam Girl" being used. Shazam for Billy is stupid enough for me.

I didn't see "Captain Thunder" being registered as a trademark even though Roy Thomas had a comic series by that name years ago. I wish DC would have used that and been done with it. I will never refer to Billy as "Shazam" no matter what.
    I am talking about Fawcett version, not DC version.

for reason, I call Billy Shazam is because he had the power of six heroes that makes sense, even jerry orway says billy is Shazam too.
    I think shazam is percect name for magical hero that make senes. I alway call Billy Captain Marvel I wish DC grab Captain Marvel and put on the DC cover imminently before marvel does. sadly, but that never happens

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Look up Gwandanaland on Amazon. They're a Public Domain reprinting outfit that is printing on demand scanned collections of the PD Fawcett works, among hundreds of other works. It's become an interestingly large part of the print-on-demand sector.
    Now that ain't workin'--that's the way you do it
    Lemme tell ya them guys ain't dumb
    Maybe get a blister on your little finger
    Maybe get a blister on your thumb.

Money for nothin' and clicks for free
    Get your money for nothin'--clicks for free.