see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Question What is the "True" Beginning of Dan Slott's run?

Hello Spidey-fam and Spidey-hams

I am trying to read the entirety of Slott's Spidey Epic, but what is the beginning?

Does it start with "Big Time" or "Brand New Day"?

Keep in mind "Brand New Day" was part of the Spidey Collective so does it count since Slott was one of many writers, so how much input did he have?

Please Spidey-fans let me know!

Incredible Member

Dan Slott wrote several stories during the Brand New Day period. But honestly, it would be better to just read Brand New day as a whole and then flow into Big Time. Brand New Day is good enough jumping on point

You can appreciate it either way, although some of the major plot threads and developments kick off during the Brand New Day era.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man no 546.

BANNED

Spidey/Human Torch

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You can appreciate it either way, although some of the major plot threads and developments kick off during the Brand New Day era.
    Is this where May gets remarried and JJJ becomes Mayor?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Is this where May gets remarried and JJJ becomes Mayor?
    Yep, both of those events happen about half-way through the Brand New Day era.

When talking about the creative careers, I personally consider Big Time the official start of Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man, since for BND he's part of a braintrust of 5-7 other writers, but if you want to read through the entirety of his run I'd say start with Brand New Day because like people said alot of story elements start there and it's a good jumping on point.

Big Time, is when I think he officially took over as Main Spider-Man writer, if I'm not mistaken. He wrote stories before that but BIg Time was his beginning run all the way up to 801

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Yep, both of those events happen about half-way through the Brand New Day era.

When talking about the creative careers, I personally consider Big Time the official start of Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man, since for BND he's part of a braintrust of 5-7 other writers, but if you want to read through the entirety of his run I'd say start with Brand New Day because like people said alot of story elements start there and it's a good jumping on point.
    Ahh, I see okay thanks for the info. it is so confusing because there is like a baggillion reboots, one shots, minis, and what-nots in the Spidey line; it is difficult to get everything straight

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Ahh, I see okay thanks for the info. it is so confusing because there is like a baggillion reboots, one shots, minis, and what-nots in the Spidey line; it is difficult to get everything straight
    I understand, basically if you want to reading since Slott starts the book, here's what you want to go for:
    Amazing Spider-Man #546-700
    Superior Spider-Man #1-33
    Amazing Spider-Man vol. 3 #1-18
    Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1-5
    Amazing Spider-Man vol. 4 #1-32
    Amazing Spider-Man #789-801