Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Killmonger Mini Series Coming From Bryan Edward Hill and Juan Ferreyra

This December, writer Bryan Edward Hill and artist Juan Ferreyra will dig into the psyche of one Erik Killmonger, a character who’s been dead for some time now in Marvel’s comics, in a five-issue series about the events in his life that led to his rise as a villain. Speaking to Vulture, Hill talked about the kind of existential questions weighing heavy on Killmonger that the comic will explore:
    Like when you just committed something horrible, when you’ve just done an act of violence, what’s it like the morning after? What’s it like the day of? When you believe in a gun and its ability to keep you safe and execute your will, what is that belief like? What’s it like to know that you’re a hunted person and to live your life? How do you forge relationships?
    I can say that the events of the stories for the most part begin with Erik graduating from MIT. Like all stories, it begins with him having a fork in the road in front of him. He’s a young man who could have a successful and peaceful life if he could just put away his desire for revenge.

While Killmonger’s aesthetics will be clearly inspired by the character’s appearance in this year’s Black Panther film, the story will focus on Erik’s hunt for Ulysses Klaw and the other men who dragged him away from Wakanda as a child. Between the Shuri series on the horizon and T’Challa’s intergalactic and (potentially mystical) adventures in the comics, it’s obvious that Marvel’s trying to bring the pillars of the Black Panther mythos to the fore in a big way.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/erik-killmon...-co-1829114993

They do this with each movie. Black Panther is usually around but they just pushed the adventures of Okoye and the Dora Milaje, and Shuri is upcoming and now Killmonger. The Okoye/Dora Milaje one-shots where a bit meh but I like Shuri and movie Killmonger so I might check this out.

With Bryan Hill writing this might actually be great and not suck like every other Black Panther book Marvel released besides Rise of the Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    With Bryan Hill writing this might actually be great and not suck like every other Black Panther book Marvel released besides Rise of the Black Panther.
    Guess you haven't read Wakanda Forever. Or Coates' Black Panther: Fresh Start.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Plus he seemingly likes the comic character as well. This won't be as shoe horned as the upcoming Shuri book

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Wakanda forever was extremely mediocre at best, insulting to BP fans at worst. And that art....
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Lmao, wow. They're really pumping the cow until there's no milk at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Plus he seemingly likes the comic character as well. This won't be as shoe horned as the upcoming Shuri book
    I wonder how this is any less "shoe horned" than Shuri? Shuri held a prominent role in the Marvel Universe at different times. She's served as a Black Panther. She's then ascended into a being of Wakandan lore, a spiritual connection to their afterlife. She's clearly a character that the Editors are pushing because of Letitia Wright's popularity but that's by no means unwarranted. Shuri has been a popular character with a long history of appearances, including holding her own miniseries. If anything, Killmonger is a less likely book and the character design and what Hill has said makes me think there'll be a reinterpretation towards the MCU version anyway.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Tbh people were complaining that Marvel is gonna throw all of Shuri's development just to replace her with the movie's nerd girl variant.

I wonder how Hill's gonna tie in Killmonger's old and new plot points.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    They do this with each movie. Black Panther is usually around but they just pushed the adventures of Okoye and the Dora Milaje, and Shuri is upcoming and now Killmonger. The Okoye/Dora Milaje one-shots where a bit meh but I like Shuri and movie Killmonger so I might check this out.
    I'm sure there's plans for a M'Baku book at this point .

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

So this is a prequel for the 616 character, from my understanding. If the cover is any indication of how he's going to look like on-page, then I wonder what's up with the marks on his body, clearly inspired by the movie. Are they just gonna retcon his looks and say he always looked like this? Or maybe the book is leading up to his return in the MU, and that's how he's gonna look like in the present? I think I prefer the second option.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    This won't be as shoe horned as the upcoming Shuri book
    I disagree. Shuri had already returned and was having a relevant role in the BP books even before the movie was out. After the movie and a new comic book arc in which T'Challa left the throne of Wakanda on Earth, I think a book focused on her was expected, if anything. Killmonger, on the other hand, had been dead and gone for years... The movie made him popular, yeah, but his return and immediate solo book feels a lot more on the nose than Shuri's. If the complaint is solely about synergy, well, I think both seem at least superficially guilty of that. We'll have to wait and see how each writer deals with it.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-18-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Coates run has sucked since it's beginning and Wakanda Forever was boring to meh at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Lmao, wow. They're really pumping the cow until there's no milk at all.
    Not really coming out of the movie as comic fan I knew they were clearly two stars Killmonger and Shuri that were ripe for comic adaption. I thought everyone could see from a mile away that movie did something special with these characters. Now if there is a M'Baku, Nakia and lesser degree Okoye books then they are milking the cow but Black Panther movie did a really good job of setting great base it is not a surprise to seeing them using stuff.Of course I thought Killmonger would be showing up in Black Panther book and not a mini series,But the movie I think made Killmonger antagonist/villain who could be up there with Dr Doom,Magneto and Loki at Marvel so mini series makes sense

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm sure there's plans for a M'Baku book at this point .
    I’m for it. Especially if it’s for thirst trap movie M,Baku.

This is a good idea, to be honest killmonger is interesting enough to be a huge player in the villain community. He could even join the cabal. I want to know more