Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What's so bad about being a brutally honest person?

I've always took pride in telling the truth about something, no matter how it made me look. I simply don't understand how being a straight forward person means that I'm well.....mean. I've never been the poster child for having regard for other people's feelings I'll admit. However when I display honestly on a matter I'd like to think I am helping someone out in my own way. Does anyone else go through this? Maybe I should make an attempt to be more sensitive?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I've always took pride in telling the truth about something, no matter how it made me look. I simply don't understand how being a straight forward person means that I'm well.....mean. I've never been the poster child for having regard for other people's feelings I'll admit. However when I display honestly on a matter I'd like to think I am helping someone out in my own way. Does anyone else go through this? Maybe I should make an attempt to be more sensitive?
    If you have to actually pose that question, you probably have your answer.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If you have to actually pose that question, you probably have your answer.
    Asking for a second opinion is a crime now?

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Because being a "straight-forward person" doesn't mean you are being objective, it just means you're giving your opinion without consideration to any mitigating context and with the expectation that the person on the receiving end should just accept what you say.

"Honest opinion"? It's the move assholes make.

See how fun that it?
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 09-18-2018 at 07:47 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Because being a "straight-forward person" doesn't mean you are being objective, it just means you're giving your opinion without consideration to any mitigating context and with the expectation that the person on the receiving end should just accept what you say.

"Honest opinion"? It's the move assholes make.

See how fun that it?
    Another phrase used to provide cover for being one is "I'm just saying."

I've always took pride in telling the truth about something, no matter how it made me look
    Here's your problem. It's all about you. You don't give a damn about how the person you're talking to is thinking or feeling.

YOU pride YOURSELF about always telling the truth. But that's not the truth who's important here, is it now? It's your own image.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Another phrase used to provide cover for being one is "I'm just saying."
    I'm sayin' tho. Just keeping it real, some folks can't handle my real. Just sayin'
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

what a stupid idea for a thread.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    what a stupid idea for a thread.
    I mean, you literally could have kept scrolling or ignore it. I was acknowledging, recognizing a flaw and trying to see ways to change that. Problem?

Extraordinary Member

I think you’re an insecure poster who lacks the self awareness to read a room and realize how distasteful your peers find the verbal disregard coming out of your mouth, who probably can’t keep his opinion to himself that made this needy post to seek some validation while simultaneously being preachy about how you are doing the right thing.

I’m just being honest.

Point. Dude you knew the answer before you asked the question.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I think you’re an insecure poster who lacks the self awareness to read a room and realize how distasteful your peers find the verbal disregard coming out of your mouth, who probably can’t keep his opinion to himself that made this needy post to seek some validation while simultaneously being preachy about how you are doing the right thing.

I’m just being honest.

Point. Dude you knew the answer before you asked the question.
    I love YOU

I mean, you literally could have kept scrolling or ignore it.
    I thought that you wanted brutal honesty.

Ultimate Member

Probably the brutality.

Most people want you to be honest with them -- few want you to be brutal with them.

I'm unfamiliar with your posting history or style of debating, but without any context, I'd like to say I can somewhat relate. I am autistic, and I've run into situations in the past numerous times where I've said things that I thought were coming from a place of honesty/sincerity, but which lacked tact, empathy, or theory of mind. Having participated on a message board for autistics over the past ten years made me realize I'm not alone in this, and I've learned a lot by sharing experiences with fellow posters.

I'm not saying that you have autistic traits, but if I am able to reach beyond my neural wiring and attempt to see things from the perspective of the other person, and imagine how giving my opinion on whichever topic comes across to them, then so can you. It all boils down to the presentation sometimes.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Honesty is like the Sword of Shannara. Use it correctly and it'll help you face hard truths and grow as a person. Use it the wrong way, and all you'll do is bludgeon someone to death with it.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."