Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I might pick up that Namor one shot, maybe the Silver Surfer one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, sadly. #200 is the end of the current MK run. But I don't think he'll be gone for long - at least I hope not!
    With both MK and Sentry missing from action at the same time, let's hope we finally get the team up book : P

If you read the new issue of Avengers, it's clear that Jen is not staying in savage mode full time. As we find out, there's more going on with the changes in her physique and powers.

As for Thor, characters change and evolve over time. None of them stay frozen in amber. They take on different characteristics as different writers have their own ideas about them. If you read Batman or Spider-Man or Superman from decades past, they're not quite the same anymore. Close, maybe, but not the same. Thor isn't any different in that regard.

If he seems to have taken on some qualities that used to be more associated with Hercules, well, that's how it goes. It's how Thor is now. And you can bet that in another ten or fifteen years, he'll be a bit different from how people know him now.
    Oddly enough, I could see Hercules and the she hulk together, but they seem to be making Thor match his movie counterpart.
    Last edited by protege; 09-20-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    With both MK and Sentry missing from action at the same time, let's hope we finally get the team up book : P
    Yeah, that oughta be good.��
    Last edited by protege; 09-20-2018 at 03:16 PM.

We've literally just had one issue so far to see Jen de-Hulked. Who knows if it's going to be half the time, a quarter of the time or what.

And this relationship is also just beginning. Maybe see how it goes before second guessing Aaron's plans.
    Aaron's handling of Jen so far has not instilled me with confidence on that front.
    No, just not written the way you might prefer.
    Well, I prefer the characters I care about to be written in-character and to act like themselves, so...yeah .
    I could say that Tom King doesn't write Batman like Batman and point to many past examples of how the character should be written and how that differs from King's portrayal but at the end of the day, I'm merely stating a preference and King, as the creative talent paid to carry this character forward, is entitled to take the character in whatever directions they see fit as long as editorial okays it.
    Well, I'd think if you actually bring up legitimate examples then you would be doing more then just stating a preference.

Comic writers are entitled to take characters in whatever directions they want but fans are equally free to call out what they see as bad characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Yeah, that oughtabe good.��
    Get Lemire on it. His Bob has been fantastic and I'm told his MK was great too.

All-New Member

Oh please. Gail Simone on the Fantastic Four Wedding Special is like a slap in the face. You know she's going to ruin it with her awful sense of humor. What a waste.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Aaron's handling of Jen so far has not instilled me with confidence on that front.
    Well, he's only written Jen in a de-Hulked state for one scene in one issue. I think we can give Aaron a little leeway, especially as that one scene proves that Aaron isn't going after a one-note approach to Jen.

Well, I prefer the characters I care about to be written in-character and to act like themselves, so...yeah .
    Thor is being written in character and acting like himself. He just isn't being written the way he was, say, twenty or thirty years ago. Few characters, if any, are.

Well, I'd think if you actually bring up legitimate examples then you would be doing more then just stating a preference.
    Anyone who read Batman as he was written pre-Miller and pre-Crisis by the likes of O'Neil, Englehart, Wein, Conway, or Moench, would be able to tell you that today's Batman is barely recognizable from the way he used to be portrayed. But the Batman of today is the way that current readers know, and prefer, the character. Just as today's readers see Aaron's Thor as the accepted characterization. Things change.

Comic writers are entitled to take characters in whatever directions they want but fans are equally free to call out what they see as bad characterization.
    It's isn't calling out "bad" characterization so much as insisting that writers see characters the same way that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRev72 View Post
    Oh please. Gail Simone on the Fantastic Four Wedding Special is like a slap in the face. You know she's going to ruin it with her awful sense of humor. What a waste.
    It's the wedding special, not the main book. The wedding will take place in issue 5 and the special will likely be about the bachelor and bachelorette parties. You can easily skip it and likely not miss much if her writing is not to your taste.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Well, he's only written Jen in a de-Hulked state for one scene in one issue. I think we can give Aaron a little leeway, especially as that one scene proves that Aaron isn't going after a one-note approach to Jen.
    If her Hulk form is the one that's one-note, then I think that's as much an issue.
    Thor is being written in character and acting like himself. He just isn't being written the way he was, say, twenty or thirty years ago. Few characters, if any, are.
    I don't think a Thor who's so boisterous, crass, obsessed with hammers, sexually forward, and who won't shut up about mead all the time is in-character for Thor. Aside from the hammer obsession, all of that is pretty much Hercules.

I'm saying he's not acting like Silver Age Thor anymore, but he doesn't even seem to be in-character from when he written a couple of years ago when Aaron first started writing him or even before then. Or how he was depicted in cartoons or movies (aside from Infinity War, where he was kind of like Aaron's Thor).
    Anyone who read Batman as he was written pre-Miller and pre-Crisis by the likes of O'Neil, Englehart, Wein, Conway, or Moench, would be able to tell you that today's Batman is barely recognizable from the way he used to be portrayed. But the Batman of today is the way that current readers know, and prefer, the character. Just as today's readers see Aaron's Thor as the accepted characterization. Things change.
    There is a change from Bronze Age Batman to Post-Crisis Batman but I don't think it's as stark a difference, and to some degree it's a change that was more organic and natural compared to Aaron's take on Thor.

I don't know if people really accept Aaron's Thor's characterization. I mean, most everyone talks about how great his Jane Foster is and in Thor form she was written more like Thor is traditionally depicted as.
    It's isn't calling out "bad" characterization so much as insisting that writers see characters the same way that you do.
    Well, when writers don't seem to "get" the character they're writing, what else is a fan to do ?

BANNED

Well, when writers don't seem to "get" the character they're writing, what else is a fan to do ?
    I think the bigger problem is fans not getting what writing is and not understanding that there is always a certain fluidity to characterization.

Amazing Spiderman 11 & 12 - Spencer has made ASM fun again. Has an old school ASM feel to it.
    Immortal Hulk 10 - This title is simply brilliant! Might be my favorite Marvel pull right now!
    Venom 9 - Cates and Stegman are killing on this title!

Aaaand Black Order is chained up by issue #2. My gawd they really have devolved into Team Rocket, haven't they?

Which honestly, if this is as 'lighthearted' as I kinda hope it'll be, this could be a fun villain-centric book so I'm really looking forward for the first issue come November.

However, Black Swan has a very weirdly happy expression to the situation they're in that concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Amazing Spiderman 11 & 12 - Spencer has made ASM fun again. Has an old school ASM feel to it.
    Immortal Hulk 10 - This title is simply brilliant! Might be my favorite Marvel pull right now!
    Venom 9 - Cates and Stegman are killing on this title!
    Those titles are my favorites right now as well, throw in the spectacular Daredevil series going right now and it’s a great time to be a Marvel fan!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

So much for me!! Marvel has been killing it for me and I'm super eager for December books.

Thor
    Captain America
    Avengers
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Black Order
    Spider-Girls
    Spider-Geddon
    Spider-Force
    Uncanny X-Men
    Marvel Knights
    Fantastic Four
    Darth Maul