Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Don't say that. I'm re-reading Scott Lobdell's X-Men run at the moment and it BREAKS MY HEART to read so explicitly here what I really want from X-Men comics, still got during this run, and I will not get anymore. Gosh, when did the genre became so dull?!?!?!
    The 90's run just keeps getting better and better in comparison to this modern crap.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Jesus, calm down people. We don't even have the first issue yet.

Very down for MMX, Merry, & Red.

Still excited for Uncanny even though I think I still have PTSD from the original AoA. LOL Buuttttt . . . I have a lot of faith in this writing team from everything they are putting out, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and not prejudge.

When did we last see Apocolypse? Has he appeared since Milligan? *shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I feel like the only hope at this point is that this AOA nonsense is completely contained to this first 10 issue weekly blitz, and issue 11 will start a real story, but why waste so many pages in this ridiculousness?
    Yeah, I mean, the current comics industry is all about writing short entertaining ''WOW everything is going to change forever blablabla'' stories. IMO the best X-Men stories are part of a run with a lot of issues of characters development. With relaunch after relaunch, there's no stability in the X-line and thats a big problem, at least for me. Can we get a 50-100 issues run please.

Spectacular Member

The 90's run just keeps getting better and better in comparison to this modern crap.
    there is just so much love between these characters and all these entangled plot lines are developing for so many years. There is a complexity I'm missing today. Sabretooth coming to the mansion and the X-Men's reactions (Jubilee devastated, Jean being a badass B.), Iceman's Emma Frost drama, GENERATION X!!!!!, the legacy virus, Legion awakes and is turning the world up side down, AoA!!!!, Xavier exhausted from all his failures slowly losing his **** and becoming Onslaught. Honestly, THIS IS ALL SOOOOO GOOD! (I think the actual Onslaught event is when the quality ends but the set up for Onslaught is fantastic).

And you can actually read these comics for longer than 9 minutes top because the art is gorgeous to look at and they have written text in them...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    well, but we all read "Battle of the Atom" once and know how deep this ship can sink...

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    BUT THE SOLICITS!!! (said in the same extremity of "But her emails!!!!")

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Yeah, I mean, the current comics industry is all about writing short entertaining ''WOW everything is going to change forever blablabla'' stories. IMO the best X-Men stories are part of a run with a lot of issues of characters development. With relaunch after relaunch, there's no stability in the X-line and thats a big problem, at least for me. Can we get a 50-100 issues run please.
    Those days are almost certainly over, my friend. I agree, though; long-format storytelling is the best. Unfortunately, it seems like modern tastes favor short attention spans and immediate 'gratification'.

Those days are almost certainly over, my friend. I agree, though; long-format storytelling is the best. Unfortunately, it seems like modern tastes favor short attention spans and immediate 'gratification'.
    I re-read the first 50 issues of New Mutants Vol.1 by Claremont last week. Wow and what happened is all I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Very down for MMX, Merry, & Red.

Still excited for Uncanny even though I think I still have PTSD from the original AoA. LOL Buuttttt . . . I have a lot of faith in this writing team from everything they are putting out, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and not prejudge.

Apocalypse was in Messiah War

Spectacular Member

but aren't the sales for comicbooks slowly dying anyhow? So I'm not sure these comic book writers actually understand the modern taste?

Does anybody know how much SAGA sells in comparison to X-Men comics?

There was that Apocalypse Wars storyline a few years back. The Extraordinary X-Men brought a millenia old Apocalypse back and kept him prisoner for a while.

And personally I'm sick of these damn Horsemen. There was the Final Horsemen, the Horsemen of Death, the future Horsemen in that Apocalypse Wars storyline, and now the Horsemen of Salvation? It's played out.

there is just so much love between these characters and all these entangled plot lines are developing for so many years. There is a complexity I'm missing today. Sabretooth coming to the mansion and the X-Men's reactions (Jubilee devastated, Jean being a badass B.), Iceman's Emma Frost drama, GENERATION X!!!!!, the legacy virus, Legion awakes and is turning the world up side down, AoA!!!!, Xavier exhausted from all his failures slowly losing his **** and becoming Onslaught. Honestly, THIS IS ALL SOOOOO GOOD! (I think the actual Onslaught event is when the quality ends but the set up for Onslaught is fantastic).

And you can actually read these comics for longer than 9 minutes top because the art is gorgeous to look at and they have written text in them...
    Make no mistake, I still hold Claremont's original run as the best, but I think the 90's editors and writers tried their best to continue that momentum and honor those character relationships/canon, and it mostly worked(at least toward the front of the decade). I did not really like AoA at the time(I think only Gen Next was really worth the ink it was printed with), nor have I warmed to it over time, but that was only a 4 month blip, and the Legacy Virus/Gene Nation/Creed presidential campaign storylines that followed it were actually pretty good and very topical at the time. I actually kinda liked Onslaught, even if it was a trainwreck in some ways, and the run that followed it was kinda cool(I liked Maggot/Marrow to an extent and Cece is a gem), but the franchise definitely started to go off the rails soon after that(hmm, kinda as they were gearing up for that X-Man/Apocalypse story now that I think of it). I quit reading for a while there until Morrison and Claremont's New/X-Treme one-two punch resuscitated the franchise. Someone call me when they start aping that era....

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

He was in Lemire's Extraordinary run, but that's probably best forgotten.

It's kind of funny to me how people in the thread are simultaneously denouncing nostalgia pandering while also arguing that comics were better back in the day and should be more like they used to be.

but aren't the sales for comicbooks slowly dying anyhow? So I'm not sure these comic book writers actually understand the modern taste?

Does anybody know how much SAGA sells in comparison to X-Men comics?
    I think both SAGA and The Walking Dead show long format storytelling can still work in today's market(especially in trade paper backs where they reign supreme, at least in 2017's yearly totals). Overall the entire market is larger than 1991, for example, but is incredibly diverse to the extent that the Big 2 have lost some market share(while still maintaining monthly supremacy).