Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    but aren't the sales for comicbooks slowly dying anyhow? So I'm not sure these comic book writers actually understand the modern taste?

Does anybody know how much SAGA sells in comparison to X-Men comics?
    I don't know but Walking dead 182 sold 65K and most of DC titles are in their 50's and selling very good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    He was in Lemire's Extraordinary run, but that's probably best forgotten.

It's kind of funny to me how people in the thread are simultaneously denouncing nostalgia pandering while also arguing that comics were better back in the day and should be more like they used to be.
    They're talking about the approach to storytelling, not fixating on the characters and plots themselves.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    They're talking about the approach to storytelling, not fixating on the characters and plots themselves.
    Right, because people on these boards are so willing to give new or under used characters a chance.

It's kind of funny to me how people in the thread are simultaneously denouncing nostalgia pandering while also arguing that comics were better back in the day and should be more like they used to be.
    I think the distinction is between superficial aping of what was(the Blue and Gold books aping the O5 and Claremont runs, for example, and now this new Uncanny aping the AoA from the 90's), and understanding the mechanics of what made those runs actually work. I think Clarmont's run is the standard because he developed his characters in a long format epic that had consequences and logical repercussions, and he constantly built upon what was while also adding new things. Just putting a lineup of his characters in a book together is not going to do that automatically(see Gugg's Gold).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Exactly, Ambaryerno.

BANNED

No god pls no!!!
    Where is astonishing x-men?

Spectacular Member

Exactly! and this is also what Marvel's writers got utterly wrong with this "new" revamp trying to heal the fanbase with empty nostalgia and bad storytelling (a.k.a. Gold) after shitting on the X-Men fanbase during the complex days.

Yeah because having longer runs with more character development is sooooo nostalgia (Walking Dead, Saga, DC, etc.).

Right, because people on these boards are so willing to give new or under used characters a chance.
    I read Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men a long time ago and didn't care at all about the New Mutants when they appeared in that run. But when I read New Mutants vol.1 a couple years ago, I loved everything about the team. Claremont developed them so much and made them interesting. We can give new characters a chance to like them, but for god sake, put more effort in character development. A good example is Trinary, she just appeared out of nowhere and not much is done with her but we're suppose to like her.
    Last edited by Magneto; 09-18-2018 at 03:07 PM.

But Marvel has done that. Aaron on Thor, Wilson on Ms Marvel, Bunn worked with Magneto for a pretty long time. The fact that we don't see it very often on the x-books suggests to me a fickle audience that has contradictory ideas about what they want. An ever changing editorial team doesn't help either.

But Marvel has done that. Aaron on Thor, Wilson on Ms Marvel, Bunn worked with Magneto for a pretty long time. The fact that we don't see it very often on the x-books suggests to me a fickle audience that has contradictory ideas about what they want. An ever changing editorial team doesn't help either.
    And I loved that ''run'' so much. It's exactly what I want for every X-books.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I think nowadays stories sometimes are formatted so that they can be converted to trades, therefore some stories end up being padded out and the pages have less of a meaningful impact.

Spectacular Member

it is also not the fault of the readers that Marvel cannot keep their continuity in place for longer than 6 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I think nowadays stories sometimes are formatted so that they can be converted to trades, therefore some stories end up being padded out and the pages have less of a meaningful impact.
    Decompression is a lazy storytelling tactic. Them Claremont issues were thicc with content. I think part of the problem is that creators aren't paid very much anymore, so they reserve their best content for their own creator-owned books(where they will reap all or at least a larger percentage of the rewards), and just give little perfunctory performances in X-Men just in hopes of attracting a larger fanbase for their own books.

X-Men: The Exterminated #1
    X-FORCE #1
    UNCANNY X-MEN #4-7
    MERRY X-MEN HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1
    X-23 #7
    WEAPON X #27
    DOMINO #9
    MR. AND MRS. X #6

This looks like it'll be an okay month.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    And I loved that ''run'' so much. It's exactly what I want for every X-books.
    And what about the people who don't care for Bunn's writing? They should just support his books anyway for consistency sake?

And there are absolutely writers whose work focuses on character development, they usually get cancelled by twelve issues due to lack of support. Often because they were focusing on the "wrong" characters. (Strain, Hopeless, Grace, Ewing).

We contradict ourselves, largely because we all have a different idea of what constitutes a good book, good writing, or good characters. I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with that, it just makes for a complicated audience to market to. (I would never want to write an X-book.)