Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    And what about the people who don't care for Bunn's writing? They should just support his books anyway for consistency sake?

And there are absolutely writers whose work focuses on character development, they usually get cancelled by twelve issues due to lack of support. Often because they were focusing on the "wrong" characters. (Strain, Hopeless, Grace, Ewing).

We contradict ourselves, largely because we all have a different idea of what constitutes a good book, good writing, or good characters. I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with that, it just makes for a complicated audience to market to. (I would never want to write an X-book.)
    sorry, but I will not support a book that is as bad as X-Men Blue and cared about Buns writing. comics are way too expensive to just keep on buying them. Re-reading in the last years makes more sense to me than reading the garbage put out there so often.

And I think the moment a book is truly great, you see how suddenly there is this spark of energy and joy in the discussions in this forum. In my eyes, I find X-Men fans quite honest what they like and what they don't like. I'm not sure they are "more complicated" than any other fanbase. Most of us want good storytelling. Our expectation is already so low that often basic work is considered good anyhow.

And what about the people who don't care for Bunn's writing? They should just support his books anyway for consistency sake?

And there are absolutely writers whose work focuses on character development, they usually get cancelled by twelve issues due to lack of support. Often because they were focusing on the "wrong" characters. (Strain, Hopeless, Grace, Ewing).

We contradict ourselves, largely because we all have a different idea of what constitutes a good book, good writing, or good characters. I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with that, it just makes for a complicated audience to market to. (I would never want to write an X-book.)
    To be fair, I didn't see much complains about Bunn's Magneto. The 05 wasn't Bunn's fault. But I agree that the writers is a big X-Factor (no pun intended), but what can we do about it? We can never know if a writer's gonna be good on a book anyway. So why change every year. Change if he's bad, not because you have to relaunch. If you don't like the book, don't buy it, that's how they'll see.

And I agree that a good book is subjective. BUT, looking at the top X-Men stories voted by fans among many lists, the top ones are always part of a big epic run.

I think X-Fans are more ''complicated'' because there's so many characters (way too much IMO). If the X-Men only had 15-20 characters in their whole history, things would be way different in that regard. Heroes like Superman and Batman can stay relevant for 50+ years and still be interesting and have good stories.
    Last edited by Magneto; 09-18-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Definitely...
    UNCANNY X-MEN #4-7
    X-MEN RED #11

Maybe...
    X-Men: The Exterminated #1
    X-FORCE #1
    MERRY X-MEN HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1
    ICEMAN #4 (OF 5)

Yes, the AoA stuff looks particularly uninspiring but I hope the story behind it is actually good.
    No Astonishing?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    but aren't the sales for comicbooks slowly dying anyhow? So I'm not sure these comic book writers actually understand the modern taste?

Does anybody know how much SAGA sells in comparison to X-Men comics?
    Why didn't that myth get killed yet. It comes from comparing the 90s to today. Comic sales are not dying(also manga isn't also one piece sells over 12million volumes a year but that's because Japan was smarter whith how they handle manga unlike how the the screwed up in the states but that's a rant at incompetence at a later date ) in the 90 following death of superman and knightfall people thought comics can print money and everyone opened there own shop(according to my shop 70 new store pop up in a month) causing sales to skyrocket but there was too many stores and it went under. Not to mention. There use to be a 100 refund policy by publishers so overordering was common. Also diamond is one of several distributors, and the numbers we get are only physical us sales to comic shops, excluding the rest of the world, secondary stores and digital(witch added at least 30% to total sales). It's now where near dying store owners just got better with estimating orders and digital came to existence.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Is it possible that Astonishing is skipping for a little bit? The last solicit didn't seem like the end.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    And I think the moment a book is truly great, you see how suddenly there is this spark of energy and joy in the discussions in this forum.
    I've found the opposite to be true. When a book is well received it generally doesn't generate much discussion. There are only so many ways to say "It's good, I liked it."

Anyway, I don't know that I really have a point to make here. I guess it just frustrates me when people lay the blame for the "problem" of contemporary comics solely at the feet of the creators without acknowledging a market that rewards event-based books, a revolving door editorial, and a fan base that can't seem to agree on what they want.

I've found the opposite to be true. When a book is well received it generally doesn't generate much discussion. There are only so many ways to say "It's good, I liked it."

Anyway, I don't know that I really have a point to make here. I guess it just frustrates me when people lay the blame for the "problem" of contemporary comics solely at the feet of the creators without acknowledging a market that rewards event-based books, a revolving door editorial, and a fan base that can't seem to agree on what they want.
    Oh on that I agree. People still buy. The question is: Will people always buy? I feel like the answer is yes and that's the problem. Even if the story is a 5 out of 10.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Is it possible that Astonishing is skipping for a little bit? The last solicit didn't seem like the end.
    When has that ever happened?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Personally, if a book (XM or otherwise) is not to my liking/taste because of the writer/characters/artist then I just won't buy it, regardless. There are many other books out there to read and enjoy from the other publishers. My days of Franchise/Brand loyalty are long, long gone. And thanks to Marvel and DC's current creative directions I'm won't be jumping back onto the Loyalty Wagon ever again. The upside...Me and my wallet are much happier for it.

Not thrilled about the Horsemen stuff, but i'm giving the benefit of the doubt here, the first 3 issues are going to the decisive ones anyway (if i stick with this relaunch or not).

Otherwise i'm going to stick with Mr and Mrs x and pray that the "Rebirth" of the Wolverine franchise doesn't suck and that Dead Man Logan is enjoyable.

Laura's book seems to be going strong, so that's another one.

Spectacular Member

whatever the reason might be, as a consumer, I'm very frustrated about the bad quality of so many books and I wished they would just give us better storylines (or at least ONE high quality book a month). But I'm also not sure what constitutes the fanbase of these comic books and what the majority really wants to see. Some discussions in these forums are quite disturbing and I also refuse to see any shared identity for the entire fanbase...

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    When has that ever happened?
    ... Um, Age of Apocalypse anyone? Where the whole line paused and then resumed at the end?

Or over at DC who are skipping Christmas Week entirely.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    whatever. Let's see what they bring to the table. This Uncanny relaunch will be ridiculous expensive. I wait and see the reviews before I buy anything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Alternate realities and characters
    This is the worst part. Who the hell keeps asking for these stories?