Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Preferred JSA ages - 50s or 70s

Provided we do get a resurrected JSA, would you want the Golden Age heroes to be in their 70s or 80s or would you rather than de-age them to be around 50 years old?

I think 50s is the right age. This would allow active lives for most of them and not be totally unbelievable for most of them. At this point, the JSAers would be approaching or passing 100 years old. A Captain America style time jump seems the best way to do this and maintaining set ages into the future. The questions here is now when do they jump from and when do the jump to?

My preference is for a jump about 15 years before the modern age of heroes. The JSA only would be jumped with possibly a few spouses, but they could acclimate and develop families and still have their comeback as older, seasoned heroes. Plus, we could get infinity, Inc.

I don't need an "explanation" and stop trying to fix it.
    Just have their flashbacks in a stylized-timeless diesel-punk, pulp, noir setting (see batman Animated Series) and reference a fantastic Nazi/Gestapo like enemy, and world war.
    Just don't put an actual date to it! Comics don't need it.
    The technology, the look and events have fantastic elements anyway.
    Just visually reference the time-period, don't trap it.
    Kids will know it's the past, Adults know what 's being referenced.

Then have them be alive today, noble gray haired looking veterans, classic pulp costumes, still fighting the good fight. Don't give them a specific age!
    That is the last thing you should ever do.
    Just stop with this I have to match it to real-time nonsense. Comics don't need it. They never have.
    The fans who need to see this are the biggest problem some times.

LOL my rant

And yes any legit JSA relaunch should be told half flash-back, developing as yet unseen ongoing adventures in their past, and half current time. as veterans today still fighting new adventures.
    And a good writer can make parallels connecting the narrative between both eras.
    Showing how these guys and gals have always been at it.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-30-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Provided we do get a resurrected JSA, would you want the Golden Age heroes to be in their 70s or 80s or would you rather than de-age them to be around 50 years old?
    Whatever age you think Johnny Thunder looks like in Doomsday Clock issues already published.

To me, part of how old they should be depends on when they disappeared / when and where they went to / how much of their past history are we keeping?

I think they should be at the very least physically 50.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I lean towards the early to mid 50's.

Somewhere between Rogaine and Polydent.

Retired

Mathematically in their nineties, but physically in their forties.

Well, considering the JLA founders should now be considered as old and frail as the JSA were during Zero Hour...
    (The JSA only have 20 years on the JLA. And it's been over 20 years since the JSA were eradicated by the PTB for being too old...)

Whatever is working to keep DC from disposing of their Silver Age heroes should work for JSA, I think.
    Maybe just have them 10-20 years older than the JLA founders.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Retired

The difference between JLA and JSA is that the JLA work according to Spider-Man time and the JSA (in the past) have worked according to Gasoline Alley time. If you want more JSAers to switch over to Spider-Man time, then you have to let go of them being anchored in the 1940s. But I personally would rather have them in the 1940s. I don't care if they are in the present--if they all died in 1951, that wouldn't be a big deal to me.

Astonishing Member

My long-standing theory has been that in 1951, the JSA, thanks to Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt, end up getting shunted into a parallel universe/pocket universe of some sort. Only about 20-30 years pass there while over 60 years pass on Earth 0, so by the time they return, they're older, but not as old as they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    My long-standing theory has been that in 1951, the JSA, thanks to Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt, end up getting shunted into a parallel universe/pocket universe of some sort. Only about 20-30 years pass there while over 60 years pass on Earth 0, so by the time they return, they're older, but not as old as they should be.
    The good thing about that is (like Cap in the ice) you can extend the time out of it as long as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I would amend that to "when Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt removed the JSA from the HUAC hearing, SOME UNKNOWN PERSON / SOURCE wound up shunting them to a parallel universe/pocket universe of some sort.
    I don't know if it would have been Thunderbolt's intentions to not return to Johnny after getting the JSA out of the HUAC hearing; I don't think Thunderbolt would have decided on his own to just remove all those heroes from the Earth that had been their home.

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

Personnally, i want to see them in their late 30s or early 40s (physically of course) i don't want to see them very old, i want to see them noticeably older and more experienced than the JLAers.