Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Basically, I would like it if they served on WWII and disappeared in 1951. Most of them would have been roughly 40 to 45 at that point. They stayed there until around Year Seven of the “Age if Heroes”, which would be around the time of, you guessed it, The Armageddon whatsis mini where they came back, having barely aged at all. Since, by basic Rebirthesque timeline calculations, that was roughly 11 years ago, these guys would be early to mid 60s. Obviously, they were erased from memory due to Flashpoint, so when they come back, the whole of Earth 0 remembers them ala Wally the red.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Mid-40's would be good
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Mid-40's would be good
    Too close to the JLA in age.

I wouldn't mind some of them, like Alan, being drawn like they were in their mid-40's. But I think they should be in their 50's or 60's to distinguish themselves from the League in a generational sense.

In current continuity, Batman is probably pushing 40. I think the JSA need to at least theoretically be old enough to be Batman's parents.

Spectacular Member

They don't have to be that old. Why can't they be in their 20s or 30s? Look at how great All-Star Squadron was. Why can't we have that? Set the stories in the past or have them time travel to the present. Or both. If these characters can't go toe-to-toe with the Justice League why have them around at all. I don't want them to be training the next generation, I want them to be in the middle of the action. I want them to stop Darkseid and Doomsday. It's nice when MLB has an oldtimers game, but would you want to watch that every night?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    They don't have to be that old. Why can't they be in their 20s or 30s? Look at how great All-Star Squadron was. Why can't we have that? Set the stories in the past or have them time travel to the present. Or both. If these characters can't go toe-to-toe with the Justice League why have them around at all. I don't want them to be training the next generation, I want them to be in the middle of the action. I want them to stop Darkseid and Doomsday. It's nice when MLB has an oldtimers game, but would you want to watch that every night?
    I'm all for a JSA series set during WW2, or a series ala Earth 2 set in another universe where they are just starting out.

But the fact is that the JSA basically is the JLA from the Golden Age. The JLA is the Silver Age revamp of the JSA, much like Hal Jordan was the Silver Age revamp of Alan Scott. So you need something to make them stand-out in a world where the JLA also exists. And traditionally that role has been that of the old guard, the elder statesmen of the superhero community. To an extent, this was true even back when they were on their own earth.

I'm torn on that. On the one hand, I love when Jay and Alan are young and in their prime. I like them to be equals to their JLA counterparts. But on the other hand... we have 6 earth GLs and Too many speedsters as it is. I have a feeling that 'This one is blonde' isn't enough to justify yet ANOTHER prime GL in the mix...

Then again, I think if they're careful with the lineup it could still work. Flash, GL, and Hawkman are more or less the only real 'revamps' on the team. If you have a JSA with a line up of Flash, GL (because I NEED them on the team :P) then throw in Dr. Midnight, Atom, Sandman, Wildcat, Dr. Fate, Black Canary (and just have Green Arrow date that one like he used to) None of those characters are overlapping with the JLA counterparts. Maybe even have a JLA team without Flash or GL for a while... Replace them with Firestorm and Zatanna or something.

I mean, I'd prefer to see some E-2/Ultimate Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman on the team too... but JSA has gotten along with out them before. With the right teams it wouldn't be THAT much different than Titans or Doom Patrol or any other DC team that exist alongside the JLA.

Extraordinary Member

I love that there are so many opinions to this thread. It's been an enjoyable read.

I'm also so glad that there are so many DC readers who still love the golden age JSA. Such great fans.

I like the 45-50 range because it allows the JSAers to be vital and active without the plethora of explanations on why they aren't dead yet and/or too old to still be active heroes.

The 70 age range sets them up for all the later editors to come in and keep trying to kill them all off because they're "too old". (i.e. Ragnarok, Zero Hour, etc).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I like the 45-50 range because it allows the JSAers to be vital and active without the plethora of explanations on why they aren't dead yet and/or too old to still be active heroes.

The 70 age range sets them up for all the later editors to come in and keep trying to kill them all off because they're "too old". (i.e. Ragnarok, Zero Hour, etc).
    Great points.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well, if we're keeping World War II history, I'm fine with them finding something that made them immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I don't need an "explanation" and stop trying to fix it.
    Just have their flashbacks in a stylized-timeless diesel-punk, pulp, noir setting (see batman Animated Series) and reference a fantastic Nazi/Gestapo like enemy, and world war.
    Just don't put an actual date to it! Comics don't need it.
    The tec, and events ere fantastic anyway.
    Just visually reference the time-period, don't trap it.
    Kids will know it's the past, Adults know what 's being referenced.

Then have them be alive today, noble gray haired looking veterans, classic pulp costumes, still fighting the good fight. Don't give them a specific age!
    That is the last thing you should ever do.
    Just stop with this I have to match it to real-time nonsense. Comics don't need it. They never have.
    The fans who need to see this are the biggest problem some times.
    I think this is totally fair. It's basically what Batman: The Brave and the Bold did on TV, and nobody ever complained about it, but in the comics people want things to be more data-driven or what-not, and sometimes it just ruins the fun, turning the stories from adventures into bookkeeping.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Looking 70 is... hard to swallow if they are going to be active. Sure there are humans in their 70's who are still getting about okay, but most I know have an assortment of aches and pains that would be awkward in a fight.

Artistically, 40-something is fine and actually preferable, but I most agree that just not saying how old they are is best. Who cares as long as the stories are good and the characters are recognizable to the names. We don't need birth dates.

Also, please don't make Alan a regular Lantern. I liked that he had a different background from the Hal Jordon set.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Also, please don't make Alan a regular Lantern. I liked that he had a different background from the Hal Jordon set.
    Agree with this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    Basically, I would like it if they served on WWII and disappeared in 1951. Most of them would have been roughly 40 to 45 at that point. They stayed there until around Year Seven of the “Age if Heroes”, which would be around the time of, you guessed it, The Armageddon whatsis mini where they came back, having barely aged at all. Since, by basic Rebirthesque timeline calculations, that was roughly 11 years ago, these guys would be early to mid 60s. Obviously, they were erased from memory due to Flashpoint, so when they come back, the whole of Earth 0 remembers them ala Wally the red.
    I like a lot of this. But I would prefer they be in their 50s when they come back.