Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why do we even need movies?

Everyone mad about the failure of the DC universe on film. And giving their idea on how to fix it.

Here's a question though.

Why do we even need DC movies?

Extraordinary Member

Apparently to give Marvel something to snicker at.

My two cents - and that's about all it's worth - if they're going to make DC movies, make them from the classic storylines. Forget all this restructured timelines that most people don't know anything about. People still love the first two Christopher Reeves movies. And the successful Bale Batman films were based on his early years.

In the context of entertainment... because movies are awesome.

In the context of "general DC"... because movies bring in tons and tons and tons of money. And they can put the spotlight on characters that get ignored elsewhere and "elevate them" to the point they are actually used.

For example, the movies lifted Black Panther from a C list character to the point they are calling him a "big four" avenger with multiple spin off comics, merchandise everywhere, and a cartoon coming. Movies saved the GoG franchise in the comics. Movies got Dr. Strange a book again. Ect
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    In the context of entertainment... because movies are awesome.

In the context of "general DC"... because movies bring in tons and tons and tons of money. And they can put the spotlight on characters that get ignored elsewhere and "elevate them" to the point they are actually used.

For example, the movies lifted Black Panther from a C list character to the point they are calling him a "big four" avenger with multiple spin off comics, merchandise everywhere, and a cartoon coming. Movies saved the GoG franchise in the comics. Movies got Dr. Strange a book again. Ect
    WHATTTTT!!! I don't know whether to be happy or sad because I hate all of marvels recent toons.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    Everyone mad about the failure of the DC universe on film. And giving their idea on how to fix it.

Here's a question though.

Why do we even need DC movies?
    Nobody needs them. Comics, either. Well, the studios need to make them in order to make money if they want to remain studios, the publishers in theirs, etc., but as for consumers? Entertainment of any kind is a want, not a need.

Comics are a niche market, no matter how popular Batman and Superman are they won't last (at DC) if they don't find new life in other mediums. As long as superheroes are constantly in the spotlight with quality workmanship they will be beloved by all.

Right now superhero movies are the big thing and I don't see them going away for awhile now but DC still needs to capitalize. They have failed for a long time now and that hurts the public perception of these characters. DC has made a pretty smart move with the DCU app, I've been saying for a long time now that they need to get a service like Marvel Unlimited and Netflix. It gives them a chance to spread comics to more casual fans while giving out the greatest hits of other mediums. (animation, movies, etc.)

The goal of the other mediums is to firstly make money on their own but ultimately make them a fan of the brand. If they become a fan of the brand they will buy the clothes they make, the movies, the games, the toys, the posters, and most importantly the comics. People who buy the comics are in the deepest out of the public audience, they give money to pretty much everything and help vitalize the market that created these characters in the first place.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

Well, Hollywood is so prevalent in popular culture that to some extent we view a property as having "made it" once a movie has been made of that property.

Incredible Member

As of last year, every superhero who NEEDED to be in a film/tv show has been in one.......

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    As of last year, every superhero who NEEDED to be in a film/tv show has been in one.......
    Well not EVERYONE ....

LOL to far?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-18-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Comics are a niche market, no matter how popular Batman and Superman are they won't last (at DC) if they don't find new life in other mediums. As long as superheroes are constantly in the spotlight with quality workmanship they will be beloved by all.

Right now superhero movies are the big thing and I don't see them going away for awhile now but DC still needs to capitalize. They have failed for a long time now and that hurts the public perception of these characters. DC has made a pretty smart move with the DCU app, I've been saying for a long time now that they need to get a service like Marvel Unlimited and Netflix. It gives them a chance to spread comics to more casual fans while giving out the greatest hits of other mediums. (animation, movies, etc.)

The goal of the other mediums is to firstly make money on their own but ultimately make them a fan of the brand. If they become a fan of the brand they will buy the clothes they make, the movies, the games, the toys, the posters, and most importantly the comics. People who buy the comics are in the deepest out of the public audience, they give money to pretty much everything and help vitalize the market that created these characters in the first place.
    Pretty much ^this^. If it weren't for the films, The Big Two would likely have withered away by now. If you enjoy the DC comics, you need the other media to keep them alive.

Retired

I wonder how many people actually do get the comics, after seeing the movies and TV shows, and how much pressure it takes to get them to spend the money on comics as opposed to other merch.

Even back in the day when comic books were much more available and it was common for a kid like me to read them, it still took almost a year for me to buy my first Batman comic books after the BATMAN TV show debuted on the screen in 1966. By that time, I had already got the Batman T-shirt, the Batman mask, the Batman bubblegum cards, the Batman gun, the Batman utility belt, the Batman board game, the other Batman board game, the Batman coloring book, the Batmobile model car kit and read the Batman comics in our local newspaper.

Of course, most of that stuff--not the bubblegum cards and not the comic strip--I got by haranguing my parents to get them for me. I had to spend my own allowance on the bubblegum cards. And it was only by giving up other necessities of life like Stubby Cream Soda, that I was able to finally afford comic books with my allowance. Yet it took a lot of convincing before I was prepared to part with my dimes and pennies for the comic books.

I never even got to see the BATMAN movie in the summer of 1966, because my parents wouldn't take me, despite all my screaming and yelling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I wonder how many people actually do get the comics, after seeing the movies and TV shows, and how much pressure it takes to get them to spend the money on comics as opposed to other merch.

Even back in the day when comic books were much more available and it was common for a kid like me to read them, it still took almost a year for me to buy my first Batman comic books after the BATMAN TV show debuted on the screen in 1966. By that time, I had already got the Batman T-shirt, the Batman mask, the Batman bubblegum cards, the Batman gun, the Batman utility belt, the Batman board game, the other Batman board game, the Batman coloring book, the Batmobile model car kit and read the Batman comics in our local newspaper.

Of course, most of that stuff--not the bubblegum cards and not the comic strip--I got by haranguing my parents to get them for me. I had to spend my own allowance on the bubblegum cards. And it was only by giving up other necessities of life like Stubby Cream Soda, that I was able to finally afford comic books with my allowance. Yet it took a lot of convincing before I was prepared to part with my dimes and pennies for the comic books.

I never even got to see the BATMAN movie in the summer of 1966, because my parents wouldn't take me, despite all my screaming and yelling.
    I might have a DVD for you if you want it. It wasn't that good. Not terrible but not that great. My first exposure to the FF was a record.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

It depends.

First someone has to KNOW that movie or show was a comic book.
    I didn't know Men in Black or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or 2 Guns-started off as comics.

Next access-
    Depending on where you live-you don't see those comics or even trades in the stores you shop in.
    Before high school most of the comic I got came in those 3 for 99 cent packs. And guess who was in them?

Transformers #1 (now in poor shape with a not so nice drawing on Prime's crotch) & 2. Fantastic Four#283, Get Along Gang #3, Muppet Babies & Fraggle Rock# 4. The rest?
    They were all from a company called First Comics. Whisper, Nexus, Sable, Dreadstar, Grimjack, American Flagg & Corum.

I didn't get comics until guys in high school started selling off collections. New Warriors, Dark Hawk, New Mutants (including the first appearance of some guy named Deadpool), Uncanny X-Men (including the first appearance of some guys named Gambit & Bishop). Grocery stores gave me DC Showcase, Tim Drake in Batman, Green Lantern & Catwoman. A comic book store in another city gave me Milestone-Static 1-21, Hardware 1-9 & Icon 1-7.

From what I get from the parents and even coworkers from my school is-they are WILLING to by at least the trades-if they can PHYSICALLY get a copy. No online nonsense or out of the way drives.
    Unfortunately for many-their neighborhoods don't have comics book stores let alone book stores. Or they have a kid who is ACTIVE in something.

I'll put it to you like this-IF Dc was to ENSURE all their trades would be sold in Wal-Mart or Target or HELP US ALL-Sears, Macys or Dillards-you would see a increase in sales.

But the KEY would be ALL trades not just Batman & Flash-Young Animal, Vertigo, Milestone, low sellers and so on would have to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Pretty much ^this^. If it weren't for the films, The Big Two would likely have withered away by now. If you enjoy the DC comics, you need the other media to keep them alive.
    Video games don't need movies to stay relevant.

Fans technically don't.

DC the corporation does because its a potential revenue stream.