Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    these things are annoying. If you have something to say, say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Lol.

(10 char)
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

tumblr_inline_o5x3vswsxC1rsroop_500.jpg
    Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 09-20-2018 at 06:50 PM.

So in conclusion: We need movies so people can make sarcastic gifs on the interwebz?

Last edited by Güicho; 09-21-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    So conclusion: We need movies so people can make sarcastic gifs on the interwebz?

It's as good a reason as any other.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    It's as good a reason as any other.
    What ever became of the GIF wars thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    What ever became of the GIF wars thread?
    Should be in the CBR Community one right?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I wonder how many people actually do get the comics, after seeing the movies and TV shows, and how much pressure it takes to get them to spend the money on comics as opposed to other merch.

Even back in the day when comic books were much more available and it was common for a kid like me to read them, it still took almost a year for me to buy my first Batman comic books after the BATMAN TV show debuted on the screen in 1966. By that time, I had already got the Batman T-shirt, the Batman mask, the Batman bubblegum cards, the Batman gun, the Batman utility belt, the Batman board game, the other Batman board game, the Batman coloring book, the Batmobile model car kit and read the Batman comics in our local newspaper.
    It depends.

First someone has to KNOW that movie or show was a comic book.
    I didn't know Men in Black or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or 2 Guns-started off as comics.

Next access-
    Depending on where you live-you don't see those comics or even trades in the stores you shop in.
    Before high school most of the comic I got came in those 3 for 99 cent packs. And guess who was in them?

Transformers #1 (now in poor shape with a not so nice drawing on Prime's crotch) & 2. Fantastic Four#283, Get Along Gang #3, Muppet Babies & Fraggle Rock# 4. The rest?
    They were all from a company called First Comics. Whisper, Nexus, Sable, Dreadstar, Grimjack, American Flagg & Corum.

I didn't get comics until guys in high school started selling off collections. New Warriors, Dark Hawk, New Mutants (including the first appearance of some guy named Deadpool), Uncanny X-Men (including the first appearance of some guys named Gambit & Bishop). Grocery stores gave me DC Showcase, Tim Drake in Batman, Green Lantern & Catwoman. A comic book store in another city gave me Milestone-Static 1-21, Hardware 1-9 & Icon 1-7.

From what I get from the parents and even coworkers from my school is-they are WILLING to by at least the trades-if they can PHYSICALLY get a copy. No online nonsense or out of the way drives.
    Unfortunately for many-their neighborhoods don't have comics book stores let alone book stores. Or they have a kid who is ACTIVE in something.

I'll put it to you like this-IF Dc was to ENSURE all their trades would be sold in Wal-Mart or Target or HELP US ALL-Sears, Macys or Dillards-you would see a increase in sales.

But the KEY would be ALL trades not just Batman & Flash-Young Animal, Vertigo, Milestone, low sellers and so on would have to be there.

I actually got into DC comics thank to Justice League movie, Flash tv series and Green Lantern animated series so-

Movie is a nice way to get more fans, I think. At least 1 out 100 people would try out the comics IMO

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    Everyone mad about the failure of the DC universe on film. And giving their idea on how to fix it.

Here's a question though.

Why do we even need DC movies?
    Errrr to watch. Am I missing something or is it a trick question?

Astonishing Member

Without movies the comic industry would have shrunk its' titles. Marvel and DC gets a massive boost with the amount of money the movies bring in. It would be interesting to see how long cape comics would be published if revenue only came from tv shows, merch, and video games.

Retired

How much money does the publishing side of things get back from the movie studios? Did Fox and Sony have to keep giving a share of the profits (if there were profits on the movies) back to Marvel on every movie or was it a one-time deal where they got the rights and they got to pockect the money on any movies they make? Does Disney or Marvel Studios give a percentage back to the Marvel comic book part for every movie, based on profits or do they just allocate so much money for the comics per year--or do the comics have to survive on the money they make purely from comic book sales and they doen't get any of the profits from other things?

I wonder if an independent actually could make more money. If they aren't owned by a multinational, then a movie producer would have to strike a deal for the rights to that one comic book--and if the property is hot, the independent could negotiate for a share of the gross or some other deal--maybe a share of the merchandising.

Why do the comic books have to make a profit on sales at all, if these companies make billions in profits from the IP? Couldn't they just produce comic books at a loss, justifying the expense by what they make back from other revenue streams. If the IP was developed in the comic books--that expenditure is the seed money to develop a property that eventually pays off in exploiting the property for other things.