Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why do we even need movies?

Everyone mad about the failure of the DC universe on film. And giving their idea on how to fix it.

Here's a question though.

Why do we even need DC movies?

Extraordinary Member

Apparently to give Marvel something to snicker at.

My two cents - and that's about all it's worth - if they're going to make DC movies, make them from the classic storylines. Forget all this restructured timelines that most people don't know anything about. People still love the first two Christopher Reeves movies. And the successful Bale Batman films were based on his early years.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    Everyone mad about the failure of the DC universe on film. And giving their idea on how to fix it.

Nobody needs them. Comics, either. Well, the studios need to make them in order to make money if they want to remain studios, the publishers in theirs, etc., but as for consumers? Entertainment of any kind is a want, not a need.

In the context of entertainment... because movies are awesome.

In the context of "general DC"... because movies bring in tons and tons and tons of money. And they can put the spotlight on characters that get ignored elsewhere and "elevate them" to the point they are actually used.

For example, the movies lifted Black Panther from a C list character to the point they are calling him a "big four" avenger with multiple spin off comics, merchandise everywhere, and a cartoon coming. Movies saved the GoG franchise in the comics. Movies got Dr. Strange a book again. Ect
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Comics are a niche market, no matter how popular Batman and Superman are they won't last (at DC) if they don't find new life in other mediums. As long as superheroes are constantly in the spotlight with quality workmanship they will be beloved by all.

Right now superhero movies are the big thing and I don't see them going away for awhile now but DC still needs to capitalize. They have failed for a long time now and that hurts the public perception of these characters. DC has made a pretty smart move with the DCU app, I've been saying for a long time now that they need to get a service like Marvel Unlimited and Netflix. It gives them a chance to spread comics to more casual fans while giving out the greatest hits of other mediums. (animation, movies, etc.)

The goal of the other mediums is to firstly make money on their own but ultimately make them a fan of the brand. If they become a fan of the brand they will buy the clothes they make, the movies, the games, the toys, the posters, and most importantly the comics. People who buy the comics are in the deepest out of the public audience, they give money to pretty much everything and help vitalize the market that created these characters in the first place.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

Well, Hollywood is so prevalent in popular culture that to some extent we view a property as having "made it" once a movie has been made of that property.

Incredible Member

As of last year, every superhero who NEEDED to be in a film/tv show has been in one.......

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    As of last year, every superhero who NEEDED to be in a film/tv show has been in one.......
    Well not EVERYONE ....

LOL to far?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-18-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Retired

If it doesn't drive sales for comics and increase the amount and variety of comic books we get, then I don't see the point. And it seems like the argument is comic books are dying, therefore super-heroes have to find some other medium to survive. The people who want super-hero movies, care more about the characters than the medium. I care most for the medium. Maybe movies help, but I'm not convinced.

And even if it helps super-hero comics survive--what about all the other kinds of comics? The popularity of the movies is a double-edged sword for comics--because it increases the profile of some super-hero comic books but it makes it seem like that's all comic books are good for.

As far as Warner Bros. Brands makiing money off of the super-heroes. While movies generate some revenue (but at a big cost), DC already has video games, animation and live action TV--plus their new streaming service. That's enough for the Brands to remain prevalent in popular culture, without live action movies. And DC is just better at those other things than the live action movies--so why beat a dead horse, when they can race ahead with their champion thoroughbreads.

Moreover, I think that we're going toward something that amalgamates live action movies, video games and animation. If DC is so good at two of those things, then they're already set for this fusion entertainment system, as the theatrical movie experience dies off.

Comic books might die off first. But I don't think so, because the cost of production is much lower. A publisher can try out all kinds of story treatments in the comics for chump change, that it would require millions of dollars to develop in any of the other media. So it's cost effective to use this comic book format for developing characters and concepts first and then investing in more expensive platforms later.

At this point I really wish DC/ WB would just stop. Because they are hurting the brand. Stick to the TV shows and animated films where there has been some success.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    At this point I really wish DC/ WB would just stop. Because they are hurting the brand. Stick to the TV shows and animated films where there has been some success.
    I agree. WB needs to stop and DC need to use animation more, you know, the thing that made them popular in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Well not EVERYONE ....

LOL to far?
    I'd watch it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If it doesn't drive sales for comics and increase the amount and variety of comic books we get, then I don't see the point. And it seems like the argument is comic books are dying, therefore super-heroes have to find some other medium to survive. The people who want super-hero movies, care more about the characters than the medium. I care most for the medium. Maybe movies help, but I'm not convinced.
    Whose fault is that?

You have John Stewart, Static, Young Justice kids, Bumblebee and others in movies, merchandise and shows-WHOSE to blame if they are NOT in comics?
    Take Static of the 7 years he has been on tv (his own show & Young Justice) only TWICE has he appeared in comics & tv.

For many DC guys who pop up in movies and shows-they are NOT active in comics.
    So if someone takes interest in say Bumblebee-you have NOTHING to get with her. Aside from one DC Super Hero Girls book.

Or you have the cases of Cyborg & John Stewart where their cartoon versions are WAY more interesting than the comic versions. Who wants to read about John Stewart being a den mother in Hal's book? Or a beat down of man verses machine stories of Cyborg?

Then we get into FANS & STORE OWNERS who will push back against certain characters-who get success outside of comics

Black Panther makes a BILLION and yet we get QUESTIONS & DEMANDS of JUSTIFICATION about the spin offs?
    You will see the same mess when Marvel Rising and Into Spider-Verse and Cap Marvel. Because they all feature characters who are HATED in some comic circles.

I can't help comics book sales if SOMEONE be it fan, store owner or employee takes issue with whoever it is in that movie or show or trade.

Other companies like Titan & IDW are not having this issue. I wonder why.

We do need DC movies, but only if they're not made by WB. That inept studio have done nothing but hurt, devalue and destroy entire character brands that have been around since before my grandparents were in elementary school, all for the sake of some futile BS attempts to compete with Marvel's movie division. Nothing the TV shows, the usually stellar animated department, or great video games like the Injustice series or the Arkham games, can do to make up for the damage done by WB to the DC brand name. So as far as I'm concerned, they should just stop making DC movies because they sit on a gold mine that not only they can't seem to make much of a profit of, but only keep turning it into a bigger pile of horse **** with each attempt. The DC universe deserves better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post

Well, we fans dont really need them. But the movies are a great way to keep an IP in the public's eye, or get the IP there in the first place. Consider Iron Man. In 2007 he was considered a B-list Marvel property. He wasn't a big deal and his brand wasn't that well known beyond comic circles. By 2009? He was one of the headliners of the comic division and most of the people on earth knew who he was.

Video games, cartoons, and tv shows all serve the same purpose and bring the properties to the general public, which generates interest and brings new fans who will spend money on the IP (maybe not comics, but merchandise). Movies however, are the gold standard. They make tons of money and get more attention than any of the other formats. Movies out-live video games in terms of evergreen sales. A PG-13 movie reaches a wider audience than cartoons, and can distribute merchandise across a wider spectrum than any other format. And they make tons and tons and tons of money. Infinity War made a billion dollars. How many seasons of a tv show or cartoon, how many video game downloads, etc., do you need to reach that level of revenue?

Now, if the question is "Does DC need a shared movie universe?" then the answer is a flat-out "NO." And if you want the long answer, it's probably that they never needed it before, they don't need it now, and thinking that they do, and that these IP's can't stand on their own and need the support of other franchises, is a big part of why their movies are failing now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.