Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retired

I wonder how many people actually do get the comics, after seeing the movies and TV shows, and how much pressure it takes to get them to spend the money on comics as opposed to other merch.

Even back in the day when comic books were much more available and it was common for a kid like me to read them, it still took almost a year for me to buy my first Batman comic books after the BATMAN TV show debuted on the screen in 1966. By that time, I had already got the Batman T-shirt, the Batman mask, the Batman bubblegum cards, the Batman gun, the Batman utility belt, the Batman board game, the other Batman board game, the Batman coloring book, the Batmobile model car kit and read the Batman comics in our local newspaper.

Of course, most of that stuff--not the bubblegum cards and not the comic strip--I got by haranguing my parents to get them for me. I had to spend my own allowance on the bubblegum cards. And it was only by giving up other necessities of life like Stubby Cream Soda, that I was able to finally afford comic books with my allowance. Yet it took a lot of convincing before I was prepared to part with my dimes and pennies for the comic books.

I never even got to see the BATMAN movie in the summer of 1966, because my parents wouldn't take me, despite all my screaming and yelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    We do need DC movies, but only if they're not made by WB. That inept studio have done nothing but hurt, devalue and destroy entire character brands that have been around since before my grandparents were in elementary school, all for the sake of some futile BS attempts to compete with Marvel's movie division. Nothing the TV shows, the usually stellar animated department, or great video games like the Injustice series or the Arkham games, can do to make up for the damage done by WB to the DC brand name. So as far as I'm concerned, they should just stop making DC movies because they sit on a gold mine that not only they can't seem to make much of a profit of, but only keep turning it into a bigger pile of horse **** with each attempt. The DC universe deserves better than that.
    Disagree. The Nolan Batman movies were great. Wonder Woman was great. Even the Snyder movies had their moments. And all but Justice League made a ton of money for WB. Marvel movies struggled until they found their
    groove and now Marvel movies are the gold standard. WB still has a chance to get it right. The Aquaman movie looks like it will be good. So does Shazam. Even the Joker origin movie looks interesting. And most people get
    the idea Wonder Woman 1984 will be as nice as Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Pretty much ^this^. If it weren't for the films, The Big Two would likely have withered away by now. If you enjoy the DC comics, you need the other media to keep them alive.
    Video games don't need movies to stay relevant.

Fans technically don't.

DC the corporation does because its a potential revenue stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It seems like if you watch Sherlock Holmes movies/TV shows that will get you to read at least a few Sherlock Holmes stories. And I imagine that GAME OF THRONES has driven a fair number to read A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. Likewise with LORD OF THE RINGS and THE HOBBIT (although a great many of us read the books long before the movies were made).

But how many people are likely to read the James Bond novels? The movies have taken on a life of their own--so people look on them as the primary version of James Bond.

I think this can happen with comic books--where people don't feel like they actually have to read the comics, so the movie or animated version becomes the primary continuity. This is probably happening with the Marvel movies--the comics only serve as the inspiration for the movies, but people don't need to read them.

This is really brought home when you watch some youtubers who are supposed to be experts on comic book movies--and even they haven't read all the Adam Warlock comics or all the Mar-Vell comics. And others give summaries of characters that are totally wrong, because they haven't read the comics.

My point is--if I am the "we" in "Why do we even need movies?"--I don't need movies to enjoy the comic books. And I wish more people felt the same way.
    Movies and tv shows can, and do, lead viewers to read books and comics.
    But they may be going through their library, rather than the comic shops. Because they're affordable, easily accessible and not intimidating.

I know when Black Panther came out, every Black Panther graphic novel/trade paperback on Hoopla shot up to the top of the 'popular comics' list.

Oh, and I read James Bond, and some John le Carré, when I was younger because of the Bond films, the '60s Avengers and Prisoner.
    Again, through the library.

However, I did start a Bond paperback collection when they released them with the pulpish painted covers.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Uh, why do we need Marvel movies? Not everybody can be in that band wagon and they have their faults especially from the Fox and Sony side.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Disagree. The Nolan Batman movies were great. Wonder Woman was great. Even the Snyder movies had their moments. And all but Justice League made a ton of money for WB. Marvel movies struggled until they found their
    groove and now Marvel movies are the gold standard. WB still has a chance to get it right. The Aquaman movie looks like it will be good. So does Shazam. Even the Joker origin movie looks interesting. And most people get
    the idea Wonder Woman 1984 will be as nice as Wonder Woman.
    Your faith and positivity is noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    Everyone mad about the failure of the DC universe on film. And giving their idea on how to fix it.

Here's a question though.

Why do we even need DC movies?
    I don't. I'd be more than happy without them. But, they're needed/coveted by the company because the movies make boatloads of cash. Even the disappointing ones. As a fan though, I can take it or leave it. In fact I would specifically choose "leave it" when the consequences are synergy between film and comic.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Your faith and positivity is noted.
    As is your negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    As is your negativity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    But they may be going through their library, rather than the comic shops. Because they're affordable, easily accessible and not intimidating.

I know when Black Panther came out, every Black Panther graphic novel/trade paperback on Hoopla shot up to the top of the 'popular comics' list.

Oh, and I read James Bond, and some John le Carré, when I was younger because of the Bond films, the '60s Avengers and Prisoner.

However, I did start a Bond paperback collection when they released them with the pulpish painted covers.
    Almost from the beginning we had Comics intetweined with movies. It was the Superman cartoons that really cemented Superman as a cultural icon.

BANNED

gif in bad taste

these things are annoying. If you have something to say, say it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

His first FF apearance went through the roof... and I have doubts they will be able to repeat that quality of movie again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I wonder how many people actually do get the comics, after seeing the movies and TV shows, and how much pressure it takes to get them to spend the money on comics as opposed to other merch.

Even back in the day when comic books were much more available and it was common for a kid like me to read them, it still took almost a year for me to buy my first Batman comic books after the BATMAN TV show debuted on the screen in 1966. By that time, I had already got the Batman T-shirt, the Batman mask, the Batman bubblegum cards, the Batman gun, the Batman utility belt, the Batman board game, the other Batman board game, the Batman coloring book, the Batmobile model car kit and read the Batman comics in our local newspaper.

Of course, most of that stuff--not the bubblegum cards and not the comic strip--I got by haranguing my parents to get them for me. I had to spend my own allowance on the bubblegum cards. And it was only by giving up other necessities of life like Stubby Cream Soda, that I was able to finally afford comic books with my allowance. Yet it took a lot of convincing before I was prepared to part with my dimes and pennies for the comic books.

I never even got to see the BATMAN movie in the summer of 1966, because my parents wouldn't take me, despite all my screaming and yelling.
    I might have a DVD for you if you want it. It wasn't that good. Not terrible but not that great. My first exposure to the FF was a record.

Retired

I eventually did see the BATMAN movie, but not until I was an adult. The point was to see it at the height of Batmania, so I could talk about it for the next three months.