Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Look at the 89 batman movie and 90 ninja turtles movie. Both helped shoot up sales to the comics! Movies can help get people into comics plus it gets these heroes out there for kids who never read the comics. (my nephews love ant-man and black panther thanks to the films and I never would have saw them as big name heroes before the films. Will shazam be the next big hero?)

Remember the bat hair cut in 89? That's how big batman was from that movie! He was everywhere!

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I'd watch it.
    For those who also enjoyed the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Last edited by Güicho; 09-19-2018 at 07:08 AM.

We don't need anything its just something people like to see.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    In the context of entertainment... because movies are awesome.

In the context of "general DC"... because movies bring in tons and tons and tons of money. And they can put the spotlight on characters that get ignored elsewhere and "elevate them" to the point they are actually used.

For example, the movies lifted Black Panther from a C list character to the point they are calling him a "big four" avenger with multiple spin off comics, merchandise everywhere, and a cartoon coming. Movies saved the GoG franchise in the comics. Movies got Dr. Strange a book again. Ect
    WHATTTTT!!! I don't know whether to be happy or sad because I hate all of marvels recent toons.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

The only real benefit of the movies isn't actually noticeable at the time of release.
    It's that they're representations that will be circulating through DVD, digital streaming, cable reruns... for years to come.

There will be kids 20 years from now being introduced to the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Wonder Woman, Arrow...
    Just like there's been generations exposed to '66 Batman, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, Christopher Reeve Superman...

The Dick Tracy, Phantom and Spirit movies each increased the longevity of those characters more than having a comic would have.

And looking back to the age of pulps, the ones that are still remembered (even still followed or enjoyed a revival) were the ones that branched out into radio shows and serials.

Not too long ago, before digital became a real possible future for comics, everyone was worried about the industry going the way of the pulps.
    If this would've happened, the IPs that would find success post-comics would be the ones that have established themselves in mass media.
    And for our generation, that would be in movies, tv shows and video games.
    It's an investment in keeping them in pop culture.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Look at the 89 batman movie and 90 ninja turtles movie. Both helped shoot up sales to the comics! Movies can help get people into comics plus it gets these heroes out there for kids who never read the comics. (my nephews love ant-man and black panther thanks to the films and I never would have saw them as big name heroes before the films. Will shazam be the next big hero?)

Remember the bat hair cut in 89? That's how big batman was from that movie! He was everywhere!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Back when comics were for everyone...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Retired

It seems like if you watch Sherlock Holmes movies/TV shows that will get you to read at least a few Sherlock Holmes stories. And I imagine that GAME OF THRONES has driven a fair number to read A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. Likewise with LORD OF THE RINGS and THE HOBBIT (although a great many of us read the books long before the movies were made).

But how many people are likely to read the James Bond novels? The movies have taken on a life of their own--so people look on them as the primary version of James Bond.

I think this can happen with comic books--where people don't feel like they actually have to read the comics, so the movie or animated version becomes the primary continuity. This is probably happening with the Marvel movies--the comics only serve as the inspiration for the movies, but people don't need to read them.

This is really brought home when you watch some youtubers who are supposed to be experts on comic book movies--and even they haven't read all the Adam Warlock comics or all the Mar-Vell comics. And others give summaries of characters that are totally wrong, because they haven't read the comics.

My point is--if I am the "we" in "Why do we even need movies?"--I don't need movies to enjoy the comic books. And I wish more people felt the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    At this point I really wish DC/ WB would just stop. Because they are hurting the brand. Stick to the TV shows and animated films where there has been some success.
    Hurting their brand? Because of their movies they're selling much more merchandise than ever before, $4.5b of DC merchandise was sold in 2016 despite having 2 highly devisive films released (BvS and Suicide Squad accounted for $1.6b of that) Batman and Superman's merchandise sales have shot up since the DCEU started, in 2013 Batman sold $494m and Superman $277. Batman sold $1.1b in 2016 and $1b in 2017, Superman in 2016 sold $800m and over $700m last year. Wonder Woman is thought to have sold between $500m and $1b worth last year. DC was actually a bigger toy brand in the U.S. and Mexico than Marvel last year. Injustice 2 was one of the best selling video games of 2017.

The movies are super polarizing no doubt but going by the amount of money they're making outside it the brand isn't hurting too much.
    Last edited by The True Detective; 09-18-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Well not EVERYONE ....

LOL to far?
    Sort of proves my point. A super friends film is completely superfluous. It would be a bonus, if it's were done well. And wonderful bonus. But can't think of another superhero who doesn't have a live action adaptation already, who actually needs one.....

Not every superhero in the world needs one..... Does the world need a brother voodoo film, or a creeper film????

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

What I NEED is movies teaching audiences that superhero is not one genre but many. Ant-Man, Punisher, Jonah Hex. Also I want some properties to redeem themselves like Suicide Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    Sort of proves my point. A super friends film is completely superfluous. ?
    Whaaaat!? Sunrise of the Superfriends Superfluous???
    LOL! that was the whole point of posting it; the horribly hokey movie poster, with a horrible name, about a musical, about the Superfriends, and specificly the HB created ones?
    How did you "sort of" get that? LOL!

It would be a bonus, if it's were done well. And wonderful bonus.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-19-2018 at 05:22 AM.

Sort of proves my point. A super friends film is completely superfluous. It would be a bonus, if it's were done well. And wonderful bonus. But can't think of another superhero who doesn't have a live action adaptation already, who actually needs one.....

Not every superhero in the world needs one..... Does the world need a brother voodoo film, or a creeper film????
    No film is actually "needed". The superheroes who have all gotten films didn't "need" those films either. They were made because people wanted to make them and/or people wanted to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    Everyone mad about the failure of the DC universe on film. And giving their idea on how to fix it.

Here's a question though.

Why do we even need DC movies?
    We don't need them. We do want and like them though.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Well not EVERYONE ....

LOL to far?
    OMG! That actually made me snort coffee! LOL!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Comics are a niche market, no matter how popular Batman and Superman are they won't last (at DC) if they don't find new life in other mediums. As long as superheroes are constantly in the spotlight with quality workmanship they will be beloved by all.

Right now superhero movies are the big thing and I don't see them going away for awhile now but DC still needs to capitalize. They have failed for a long time now and that hurts the public perception of these characters. DC has made a pretty smart move with the DCU app, I've been saying for a long time now that they need to get a service like Marvel Unlimited and Netflix. It gives them a chance to spread comics to more casual fans while giving out the greatest hits of other mediums. (animation, movies, etc.)

The goal of the other mediums is to firstly make money on their own but ultimately make them a fan of the brand. If they become a fan of the brand they will buy the clothes they make, the movies, the games, the toys, the posters, and most importantly the comics. People who buy the comics are in the deepest out of the public audience, they give money to pretty much everything and help vitalize the market that created these characters in the first place.
    Pretty much ^this^. If it weren't for the films, The Big Two would likely have withered away by now. If you enjoy the DC comics, you need the other media to keep them alive.