Thread: Where to start

Jeremy

Default Where to start

Hi guys

I'm new here.

I have a question for you guys and was hoping somebody could lead me in the right direction.

I use to collect Spider-Man back in grade school early high school. That was 20 years ago and got out of the hobby mostly because our local comic book store closed and there was nothing that was close. I pretty much had forgotten about comic book collecting until a job promotion landed me in another city. There happens to be a shop nearby ( just haven't gotten there yet ) so was thinking about getting back into it.

My focus would be on Spider-Man as those are what I loved the most as a kid

But just looking around online and wow it's quite complex isn't it.

Any tips you guys could lend would be fantastic

Jeremy

You've come to the right place.

A new creative team started a few months ago, so you could try to see if you can get the five issues so far. There will be a reprint volume in December, if you want to wait a bit.

If you've got an Ipad, I would recommend Marvel's Digital Unlimited service, which lets you stream thousands of comics, many with Spidey, including the major runs of the last twenty years.

There are a few excellent creative runs.

Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley retells Spider-Man's origin in the 21st Century.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07...ate-spider-man

J. Michael Straczysnki (Sense8) wrote Amazing Spider-Man for a few years, and his run was quite accessible, focusing on new villains.

The writer Dan Slott had a lengthy run, which ended a few months ago. He was known for a sense of humor, and love of history. He was one of the writers during the Brand New Day era, which had a more back to basics approach, before becoming lead writer during the Big Time era, which had Peter achieve professional success.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'd recommend the Marvel's adventures run after USM then Spider-man classic/prime.
    My writing...
    A girl's dream for a utopia is put to the test. - Nature's Kingdom
    A boy strives to create the ideal world for those that have inspired him. Spider-man: Revival of The Dream