Thread: Sonys Tarzan

Default Sonys Tarzan

New Tarzan movie in the works at Sony I really liked the 2016 one wish is was a sequel to that.

https://screenrant.com/tarzan-movie-...ction-updates/

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    New Tarzan movie in the works at Sony I really liked the 2016 one wish is was a sequel to that.

Yeah, I loved the 2016 one myself it was easily a top five in my list of favorite Tarzan films. Still, any Tarzan is a good thing so I'm all for another.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I know a lot of people would be upset by the idea but they’re going to have to change a lot about the character to find any success with modern audiences. The backdrop of colonialism and having the white male savior as the king of the African jungle isn’t going to fly. WB found that out in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I know a lot of people would be upset by the idea but they’re going to have to change a lot about the character to find any success with modern audiences. The backdrop of colonialism and having the white male savior as the king of the African jungle isn’t going to fly. WB found that out in 2016.
    king of the African jungle? There's nothing like that in the movie...

Extraordinary Member

Absolutely agree. I've seen a LOT of Tarzan films but that one is head and shoulders better than any I've ever seen.

Alexander Skarsgard was perfect in the role and was in phenomenal shape. It had a great story and a very good supporting cast. CGI was done very well also. I would love to see a sequel to that film.

Mighty Member

I don’t think that was the problem. There was an above average number of blacks in the theater when I watched it. They must not have gotten the memo and made up their own minds lol. OTOH the last Lone Ranger audience was whiter than average for whatever reason.

You’re right. Tarzan is not problematic at all. Silly me.

Wait that was one of the major points of the article that was initially linked.

Given the problems Warner Bros. had in making their Tarzan relevant to modern audiences, it is perhaps not surprising that Sony is looking at a “total reinvention” of the character. While Tarzan has long been a central figure in pop culture and cinematic history, he was created at a time which supported very different views on issues of colonialism, race, and gender. For audiences in the 21st century, a faithful adaptation of the original source material would raise multiple issues for modern viewers based on antiquated world views associated with the characters. While Yates’ film made some attempts at addressing these concerns, it ultimately delved back into problematic territory by conjuring a film with a white savior complex at its core.

Given the problems Warner Bros. had in making their Tarzan relevant to modern audiences, it is perhaps not surprising that Sony is looking at a “total reinvention” of the character. While Tarzan has long been a central figure in pop culture and cinematic history, he was created at a time which supported very different views on issues of colonialism, race, and gender. For audiences in the 21st century, a faithful adaptation of the original source material would raise multiple issues for modern viewers based on antiquated world views associated with the characters. While Yates’ film made some attempts at addressing these concerns, it ultimately delved back into problematic territory by conjuring a film with a white savior complex at its core.
    I never did get the white savior thing in Tarzan....

Mighty Member

So what? That is just what media is telling people what to think. Tarzan is dated is the problem he had a good long run but it seems to be over.

I never did get the white savior thing in Tarzan....
    Someone has to save the Jungle!

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    So what? That is just what media is telling people what to think. Tarzan is dated is the problem he had a good long run but it seems to be over.
    Over? I thought they just changed the name to Jake Sully and repackaged it...