Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So, was it a problem that it was done in the first place or that the creators involved failed to capitalize on the new status quo in a "good" way?

(Look, I hate the OMD retcon as much as the next Spidey fan in my demographic, but I think it's too simplistic to say that OMD is the root of all problems in the ASM series that have popped up since.)
    I would agree with both your statements. Really, if you were going to do the OMD retcon, I would think that there were better ways to take advantage of the new stories available to you.

I have to admit however, that I'm not a die hard fan when it comes to whether or not Pete and MJ have to be married or not. Maybe it's because I'm not from the Pete/ MJ marriage era. I can be fine with them either way. So maybe that influences my take on this a little.

My only major problem with getting rid of the Spider marriage is the way it was handled. A simple divorce would have worked just fine in my opinion. The idea that Spider-Man making a deal with a Satanic figure like Mephisto is a better, more relatable solution than a simple divorce is just ridiculous.

And no I'm not just saying this because I'm religious. I'm not religious at all.
    Last edited by Thievery; 09-20-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    I would agree with both your statements. Really, if you were going to do the OMD retcon, I would think that there were better ways to take advantage of the new stories available to you.

I have to admit however, that I'm not a die hard fan when it comes to whether or not Pete and MJ have to be married or not. Maybe it's because I'm not from the Pete/ MJ marriage era. I can be fine with them either way. So maybe that influences my take on this a little.

My only major problem with getting rid of the Spider marriage is the way it was handled. A simple divorce would have worked just fine in my opinion. The idea that Spider-Man making a deal with a Satanic figure like Mephisto is a better, more relatable solution than a simple divorce is just ridiculous.

And no I'm not just saying this because I'm religious. I'm not religious at all.
    It doesn't help, either, that as Marvel was trying to kibosh the marriage, it had Mephisto claiming their union was the kind of love that only came once in a thousand years, so special it was literally blessed by God Himself, and thus taking that from them would be like spitting in His face --- which he was more than happy to do, being Marvel's most frequent stand-in for the Devil and all that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I am fine with Marvel undoing One More Day as long as Aunt May doesn't end up six feet under...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    I am fine with Marvel undoing One More Day as long as Aunt May doesn't end up six feet under...
    My conspiracy cap makes me think spoilers:
    the ending of a certain video game
    end of spoilers is mentally preparing fans for this
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-21-2018 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    Reminds me of the end of the 1990s' Clone Saga; you can have Peter back as Spider-Man but the baby has to die. That always came across to me as a petty act towards the fanbase on the part of the Marvel Office back then.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    My conspiracy cap makes me think spoilers:
    the ending of a certain video game
    end of spoilers is mentally preparing fans for this
    I kinda doubt they would make changes to a game that's likely to sell millions in order to prep changes in a comic book that sells under a hundred thousand copies per issue.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I kinda doubt they would make changes to a game that's likely to sell millions in order to prep changes in a comic book that sells under a hundred thousand copies per issue.
    I think maybe a more likely answer could be Gage & Slott really wanted to tell that story but couldn't in the comics due to editorial mandates, and now the game let them do it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    What a dumb decree!! They can be together just no marriage. What kind of BS is that??
    If this is true then they could have saved themselves a lot of headache and lost fans by not splitting them up after One More Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think maybe a more likely answer could be Gage & Slott really wanted to tell that story but couldn't in the comics due to editorial mandates, and now the game let them do it.
    I'm not sure this is true, either.

Games and comics are different media, and what works in one won't be a great fit in another.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets