Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Thoughts on the John Bryne Fantastic Four thread

Finished reading the run for first time last night. And thought it might recording a few thoughts double pronto, just to see if others share the same bias..or have different views.

First thing to say, is that I can see easily why so many people think this is a wonderful run. And I do too. So although I'll be saying eventually that I'm not sure one or two things worked...it needs to be seen against that general background.

Start with a few key positives. I think the artwork...in particular the detail and imagination that John B put into scenes, the way he sequences the story to make it effortless to follow was wonderful. I like John B's art in general...and I think this is best work of his I've ever seen. Compared to say his recent work on Next Men...the styles the same, but jeez, there's much, much detail in the FF work. He must have worked like a Trojan to get it out on a monthly basis.

The other key positive...the individual stories were top rate. I can't remember a single dud..I at least enjoyed each issue, and really, really enjoyed most.

Where I did have a some "doubts" was some of the long term story threads, and maybe overall team balance.

Looking at overall team balance...I think Reed was written as too perfect and too multi-skilled. We're told that he's a head in the clouds scientist, neglects his family from time to time, etc, etc. I just didn't see any evidence in this particular run to support that view of Reed. He was a kindly supportive husband and father, all round scientific genius...and just about every decision he made under pressure turned out to be right. He was written basically without fault or weakness.

It gives less for rest of team to contribute....and was maybe biggest issue in team balance. On other hand Sue became more forceful and mature (compared to great Kirby/ Lee run) and Johnny came over as more mature and thoughtful. So I suppose actually....team balance was improved a bit, but with not enough done to amend imbalance due to Reed's "perfection".

I have to say I wasn't really "in tune" with Reed's decision on Galactus. If a creature that regularly kills billions of people was dying, I think it's a no brainer to step aside and let nature take it's course. As usual Reed's decision (to save Galactus) turned out to be the "right one", and John B did a good job I think to put case for that...but I really, really didn't buy it. Maybe a case where my bias is showing, rather than poor story telling!

For me, Johny's courtship of Alicia was another questionable area. I suppose this is a case where reading comics decades in arrears imposes limits on enjoyment...because obviously I knew "Alicia" was actually Lyja..and that most likely limited my emotional involvement in developments. But reaction of other characters seemed rather restrained and muted to me. Here is Johhny courting love of Ben's life...and Reed, Sue, and Johhny himself...really, really don't seem to see any potential issues with that. It just seemed odd.

But..yes.. a terrific read.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 09-19-2018 at 03:54 AM.