Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

I told someone offsite that this book will end on a wet fart, and boy Guggs proved me right. But honestly, it's not hard for him to do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brainy1313 View Post
    I know I'm in the minority but I really liked this last issue. I thought it got to the heart of what the X-Men are about, trying to overcome people's prejudice of mutants. And it was handled realistically in that the team succeeded in changing the opinion of some people but not everyone. And that even the bigots aren't reacting out of simple blind hatred, that they might even have valid reasons for concern, but it's their responses to that concern that are wrong. The cliffhanger ending was perfect, drove home the fact that there are no easy answers. If he had survived, it would have been cliched and even a bit cheesy while his death would have been too much of a downer. Instead it finished on a bittersweet note that was still hopeful. Gugg's has his problems for sure but his writing here was great and the artwork by Perez and Ramos was AWESOME.

And can't remember whether it was here or in the preview discussion but it's something that really got on my nerves. Someone claimed that the way Kitty's drawn, the design created by Syaf, is anti-Semitic basically because Kitty has short hair and they think it makes her look ugly. Yes, Syaf is an anti-Semite but that doesn't automatically make his design for Kitty anti-Semitic. Personally, I LOVE Kitty's look and I hope they keep it going forward. And I'm saying this as a Jewish woman who just coincidentally also has short hair.
    In isolation, short hair isn't anti-Semitic. But a Jew hater like Syaf giving her that hair when she used to have curls is definitely erasure (though obviously this has been going on for much longer). It's not really any different from drawing Storm and Sunspot a few shades lighter or Riri Williams with straight hair.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I didn't read the issue yet, but reading the review brought a smile to my face.

I remember all the heat Kitty would give Scott and Emma for their leadership when they had to make decisions light years tougher than the ones Kitty was faced with. Its really easy to judge when you're not in the hot seat. Being the leader is not a fun job and the pressure is tremendous.

You may be a certified genius and a great professor, but that doesn't automatically make you a good Field Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    In isolation, short hair isn't anti-Semitic. But a Jew hater like Syaf giving her that hair when she used to have curls is definitely erasure (though obviously this has been going on for much longer). It's not really any different from drawing Storm and Sunspot a few shades lighter or Riri Williams with straight hair.
    Kitty hasnt had curls in decades. Thats a stretch and I dont find that on the same level as the whitewashing that has been done with Sunspot. And there would be nothing wrong with Riri were she to get straight hair. Women change their hair all the time. There's nothing racial about that

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Kitty hasnt had curls in decades. Thats a stretch and I dont find that on the same level as the whitewashing that has been done with Sunspot. And there would be nothing wrong with Riri were she to get straight hair. Women change their hair all the time. There's nothing racial about that
    Agree 100 percent. In fact, I would have a really big problem if Syaf did give her curls after all this time because then it would give the highly probable impression that he was drawing her as a caricature of the stereotypical Jew.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    oh my god.

It sounds so awful. JFC telling Rachel to mind control a doctor. That's something Emma, Jean, Xavier wouldn't have ever done. The Xmen have healers they should've taken him to one of those.

Ugh this writing. R.I.S.P. Rest in Shredded Pieces and let us never speak of this again.
    Would they ?!? I mean considering their own past actions... do you really think that Emma, Jean and Xavier would not stoop this low ?

I didn't find that issue to be all that bad, when taken in context of the series as a whole.

Guggenheim has developed Kitty consistently in a particular direction, though I understand those who dislike the direction. (I hated Austen's take on Nightcrawler, but was stuck with it as far as character development.) It could be argued that it was kind of a natural progression, given her early years of bratty behavior, at times.

He's shown her, in no uncertain terms, to be self-absorbed, immature and hypocritical through his run. I have no idea if Guggenheim (or editorial) intended this development, but it's there. Like Hank and Scott's egos got in the way of decision making, so has Kitty's. A chief difference is the way the rest of the team have treated them.

Kitty has gotten a pass from teammates, by and large. Instead of being called out on her high-handedness and fickleness, she's still been coddled as "everyone's kitten" -- the little sister grown up. She doesn't respect them for it -- the opposite, in fact. It makes the rest of them look hypocritical, as well. She's obviously capable of crossing lines to get what she thinks is right, no different than Beast or Cyclops or Emma. Any follow up should bear that in mind.

The series as a whole was, like others have said, a Kitty solo couched in a team book. There's no excuse for the poor way everyone else has been written in this.

As far as dedicating this to Claremont, it seems a bit of a backhand, to me, given what's happened to CC's darling in it.
    Last edited by Sundown; 09-19-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    Piotr is better off in Astonishing for as long as that book last.
    I cannot imagine Piotr ever wanting to talk to Kitty again for the rest of his life after how shabbily she treated him.
    It lasted all of five issues. The only Astonishing in the December solicits was the TPB.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Would they ?!? I mean considering their own past actions... do you really think that Emma, Jean and Xavier would not stoop this low ?
    They've done far worse for less immediate reasons, just to be fair...

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    They've done far worse for less immediate reasons, just to be fair...
    Xavier would do it himself in a heartbeat. Xavier is, from what I've seen, little better than Magneto when it comes to the means justifying the ends; it just so happens his ends are a worthy goal.
    To quote Kitty,
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Nah, they'd use their TP to take the doc's knowledge and perform the surgery themselves. Jean definitely would as she has done similar things before

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    Because Ink will literally never appear again. Let him have his moment.
    Good riddance.

I always thought it was silly that a human can gain powers through tattoos written on him. Gugg must have got the idea when he went to Thailand for a holiday and got some tattoos himself.

Any transference of power should be temporary.

Ink technically isn't a mutant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It lasted all of five issues. The only Astonishing in the December solicits was the TPB.
    Astonishing X-Men was really good after ish #12. Why the heck did Marvel cancel the series?

Astonishing X-Men was much more interesting than X-Men Red.
    Last edited by jalsrix; 09-19-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Astonishing X-Men was really good after ish #12. Why the heck did Marvel cancel the series?
    bc its streamlining the line. Every ResurrXion title has been cancelled. AXM and Red are the last remaining books

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    HAH! enjoy character limbo, Ink.
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    Because Ink will literally never appear again. Let him have his moment.
    Stand by for a 6-issue Ink mini and new overpriced action figure, coming spring 2019.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.