Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I don't mean they don't have serious themes, I mean they lean into the idea that this is not to be taken too seriously. DC is was far more likely over the decades to lean into seriousness and weight. Both publishers have done this at certain times but IMO Marvel have always had a lighter touch. They have their tongue in their cheek more often.
    That's fair enough

just looking at it for myself and I've always felt dc was more light hearted, certainly away from the bat mythos

But that's all good

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    That's fair enough

just looking at it for myself and I've always felt dc was more light hearted, certainly away from the bat mythos

But that's all good
    I think Paul Kupperberg put it well recently (he was apparently quoting Chaykin but I don't have the original quote) "Marvel went with the silliness of their superhero comics and the things that went on in them and DC tried to take it seriously."

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, it's starting to grate.
    Aaron is the best Hercules writer Marvel has ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly. Tony and Carol have had a very long standing friendship and have been through a lot together. Tony all of a sudden making passes at her reads as weird and just portrays him as creepy and not funny (as Aaron likely intended it). Tony Stark should be a far more mature character than what we are getting here. Funny thing is that MCU Tony Stark hasn't actually "lived that life" since he became Iron Man.
    But that doesn't feel like a writer problem, it feels more like an editor problem. Tom Brevoort knows about the connection those characters share. Maybe he didn't think it was important.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    But that doesn't feel like a writer problem, it feels more like an editor problem. Tom Brevoort knows about the connection those characters share. Maybe he didn't think it was important.
    Or, some fans just take a certain moments in ways that they weren't intended to be taken.

Taking Tony's comments to Carol seriously as a legit come-on seems like an absurd misreading of the moment and of Tony's character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Or, some fans just take a certain moments in ways that they weren't intended to be taken.

Taking Tony's comments to Carol seriously as a legit come-on seems like an absurd misreading of the moment and of Tony's character.
    I myself don't think it was intended seriously from tony

For me, that makes little difference, I find the joke in poor taste in and of itself

Captain Marvel seemed to take it seriously enough to throw him. This feels like you wanting to have your cake and eat it too. We shouldn't take it seriously, but Captain Marvel takes it seriously enough in the comic to throw him. Which is it? Are we taking it too seriously or should Captain Marvel just smirk and lighten up?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Captain Marvel seemed to take it seriously enough to throw him. This feels like you wanting to have your cake and eat it too. We shouldn't take it seriously, but Captain Marvel takes it seriously enough in the comic to throw him. Which is it? Are we taking it too seriously or should Captain Marvel just smirk and lighten up?
    Since Captain Marvel just expected someone she put in a coma to apologize to her and just mocked his injuries from that, I think she should be doing a lot of things differently. (And it's not the first time - in issue #6 she says, "If this is a sex joke, I'll personally put you back in a coma," even though Tony's comment is not a sex joke and he was presenting a plan of action. This goes to the second part of my comment.)

I didn't like the bulk of their interaction here, although there was one or two good moments, and I hope the writers figure out soon what they're doing. I didn't like that comment from Tony and thought it was bizarre characterization that I hope doesn't continue, even though I fear it will since it's occurred a couple times now under this writer, but I also have a problem with how aggressive Carol has been toward him this whole arc, particularly when Tony has been the one extending an olive branch to the person who nearly killed HIM. She constantly seems like she's itching for a fight.

And I think this is a fault of the writer. I'm disappointed in how this relationship is being written for sure - at least in this book. I have been pleased with Life of Captain Marvel.
    Last edited by okiedokiewo; 09-20-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Carol reacting by tHrOwInG hIm as you said it's what's supposed to make it funny. It's the complete opposite of a reason to take it more seriously.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Carol reacting by tHrOwInG hIm as you said it's what's supposed to make it funny. It's the complete opposite of a reason to take it more seriously.
    Yes, I think Carol thinks Tony is acting like an ass and responds accordingly - not that she thinks he's seriously coming on to her.

Yes, I think Carol thinks Tony is acting like an ass and responds accordingly - not that she thinks he's seriously coming on to her.
    Yeah, they were kinda having a moment and Tony ruined it lol. I didn't think it was all that funny myself, but the intention was pretty obvious. People always reach so much about minor stuff when they want to dislike some characters(or writers)...

Only for comedic effect. Nothing about that was serious, right down to the comic stomping pose Carol has when she exits.

She is clearly exasperated, I don’t read her as offended. It wasn’t an offensive joke.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-20-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Random thoughts:

Does Gabe know Robbie is Ghost Rider?

I like the new Avengers Mountain. It's different and uniquely comic book (also uniquely Marvel since it's a Celestial)

With Jen Walters back to regular She-Hulk, can people stop complaining that it's out of character for something that's clearly a plot point?

Life of Captain Marvel takes place probably before this story. I was on the fence because of She-Hulk not being big Hulk, but Carol's hair was long here so that story must have taken place between Jen regaining control and turning green and Jen becoming a "gamma bomb."
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I really enjoyed the art this issue compared to the previous arc

Did Tony just hit on Rhodes ex girlfriend? Isn’t that half the reason they are fighting/mad at each other?

Do the Avengers normally have a chair person?

Anyway issue was solid, but I thought Namor was dead. Didn’t he get beheaded by some people from another universe? I still feel like Marvel needs a few years more before they use Namor and T’Challa in a story where they aren’t trying to kill each other.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Random thoughts:

Does Gabe know Robbie is Ghost Rider?

I like the new Avengers Mountain. It's different and uniquely comic book (also uniquely Marvel since it's a Celestial)

With Jen Walters back to regular She-Hulk, can people stop complaining that it's out of character for something that's clearly a plot point?

Life of Captain Marvel takes place probably before this story. I was on the fence because of She-Hulk not being big Hulk, but Carol's hair was long here so that story must have taken place between Jen regaining control and turning green and Jen becoming a "gamma bomb."
    I think there's supposed to be a timeskip? At the beginning of the issue, Carol has her short hair, then when they're back in the base, the long one...

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I suppose that's possible. I got the impression some time passed, but I think Life of Captain Marvel is like six months, if I'm not mistaken.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?