Default Why is the Tales to Astonish series so undervalued?

Great art by great artists. Great stories that are key. Yet I can still walk into my old comic book shop and pick up a raw copy for $10-$20. Just don't get it, will they ever spike at some point in value?

If you mean the old TOS series, then I absolutely agree... but don’t loose hope
    ... this issue featuring the Widow’s first appearance is listed for $1,000

EE356674-2324-49E6-9D11-0C0824BE560D.jpg

Suspense and Astonish are two different books. Suspense introduced Iron Man and had Cap's series for a while as well. Both Hawkeye and the Black Widow were introduced here. Astonish, on the other hand, had early Hulk's but not the introduction issues fpr the character. The other series in the book were Hank Pym and Sub Mariner, neither of which were as big as IM or Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Suspense and Astonish are two different books. Suspense introduced Iron Man and had Cap's series for a while as well. Both Hawkeye and the Black Widow were introduced here. Astonish, on the other hand, had early Hulk's but not the introduction issues fpr the character. The other series in the book were Hank Pym and Sub Mariner, neither of which were as big as IM or Cap.
    You are so right, ugh. Maybe I can blame in it on the double IPA before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    You are so right, ugh. Maybe I can blame in it on the double IPA before posting.
    Here now, double IPAs should be treated with respect!

I can only assume this double IPA business is an American thing. What was wrong with standard IPA? Are we drifting off topic?

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I can only assume this double IPA business is an American thing. What was wrong with standard IPA? Are we drifting off topic?
    Open invite to Maine anytime to all our comic book brothers and sisters .... and maybe hold a round table with Brubaker et al at one of our local microbreweries. I suspect we’d all drift way off topic. It’d be glorious.

Open invite to Maine anytime to all our comic book brothers and sisters .... and maybe hold a round table with Brubaker et al at one of our local microbreweries. I suspect we’d all drift way off topic. It’d be glorious.
    Sounds like a plan. Who’s going to bring the Tales to Astonish comics, or are beer mats cheaper?

You do know I'm a Massachusetts boy who likes beer, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    You do know I'm a Massachusetts boy who likes beer, right?
    That settles it. We will need Jason Aaron too for all his hard earned thirst writing Thor and contemplating mead. I say we use Tales to Astonish issues to add to their value. I have goats too just to make Jason more comfortable up here in New England. We can discuss the physics of quaffing IPA’s while underwater in Atlantis, and whether gamma radiation would degrade hops. Scintillating conversation, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Who’s going to bring the Tales to Astonish comics, or are beer mats cheaper?
    Definitely the comics. Might enhance the colors of those old issues if mixed with hops.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastaar View Post
    Great art by great artists. Great stories that are key. Yet I can still walk into my old comic book shop and pick up a raw copy for $10-$20. Just don't get it, will they ever spike at some point in value?
    I saw them spike around the time the first Ant-Man movie got out. I seem to recall seeing a TTA #27 sold for something like 1000$ on EBay. But that was a one-time thing.

But to answer your question, I'd say none of the characters in it are "the big Three" from the MCU, so they're not worth spending time or money on apparently. It's really sad cause, as you say, there were great stories and art in them. Maybe that's why... Marvel doesn't want readers to see how good it used to be... (just kidding, folks )
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I saw them spike around the time the first Ant-Man movie got out. I seem to recall seeing a TTA #27 sold for something like 1000$ on EBay. But that was a one-time thing.

But to answer your question, I'd say none of the characters in it are "the big Three" from the MCU, so they're not worth spending time or money on apparently. It's really sad cause, as you say, there were great stories and art in them. Maybe that's why... Marvel doesn't want readers to see how good it used to be... (just kidding, folks )
    Poor Hank. He still can't get any respect. I personally love all those old Tales to Astonish stories. Tales of Suspense, Strange Tales and Journey Into Mystery as well. All those old villains like Porcupine, Whirlwind (TTA), Melter, Crimson Dynamo (TOS), Eel, Beetle (ST) and Cobra, Mr Hyde (JIM) were introduced. Those mags were the foundation of todays Marvel.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

I can’t speak too much of the original series, since I’ve only been able to read a handful of random issues, but last week’s One-Shot featuring the origin of Krakoa was the surprise hit of my weekly pile, VERY much like the previous week’s “Ve’Nam” one shot. I’m not sure how these $4.99 oversized issues are selling, but personally I’d like to see more books like this in the future. Anyone else pick up either of these One-Shots?