Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Where is Roberto da Costa in the Uncanny relaunch?

I'm so disappointed by the lack of "Sunspot" in the new Uncanny series. He has been a mayor player in the last couple of years, he even got to lead two Avengers teams, and now when he came back to his x-roots, he gets nothing.

Why is he so underused in the x-books?

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I was wondering exactly the same. He is not on any of the Disassembled covers or the new to be launched titles.

It would really be a major loss if the X-Office is not using the last years. If there is one character who evolved a lot, it is Sunspot.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I'm disappointed. He's not one of my favorite characters or anything but given all the changes he's gone through the last few years, as MoS said, it's surprising that no one seems to be making use of them. Plus, he is a minority character in the books - not that makes a difference to me, either in positive or negative ways - but you'd think that with Marvel trying to push for greater representation in diversity they would use what they've got, unless of course the characters were completely lame. Which Bobby is not at all lame.

Bishop is already having a major push and the X-Books can't seem to be able to focus in more than one black man/woman at a time

BANNED

It's the same with Karma, she's not featured either.

It might be the writer has some discrimination against some races.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Bishop is already having a major push and the X-Books can't seem to be able to focus in more than one black man/woman at a time
    Sunspot is half-white but the ethnicity of his father is unknown to me.

Is his father an ethnic African or a native Brazilian?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Sunspot is half-white but the ethnicity of his father is unknown to me.

Is his father an ethnic African or a native Brazilian?
    His father is a black Brazilian. And for the most part, so was Sunspot, which is why he was all but racially slurred by his white school mates at one point, who told him that regardless of his family's money, he was still black and an animal.

So while he's mixed, genetically speaking he was more black than anything else, so one-drop ruling goes, many are gonna call him black. That was before the whitewash race change.

They really need to end the vicious cycle of not giving POC characters chances to shine in major titles and events. We can't always just have Storm, Bishop or Jubilee doing all the heavy lifting as representation.

If we can see Sam and Magik finally graduate to the main X-Men, why not Karma, Sunspot or Dani?

But yes, considering the huge push he got in the Avengers. It's sad the X-Office has done absolutely squat with him. Why people cried that the avengers writers actually got to write characters who the x-office never showed interest in the first place, makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 09-19-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    They really need to end the vicious cycle of not giving POC chances to shine in major titles and events. We can't always just have Storm, Bishop or Jubilee doing all the heavy lifting as representation.

If we can see Sam and Magik finally graduate to the main X-Men, why not Karma, Sunspot or Dani?

But yes, considering the huge push he got in the Avengers. It's sad the X-Office has done absolutely squat with him. Why people cried that the avengers writers actually got to write characters who the x-office never showed interest in the first place, makes no sense to me.
    And Bishop is only coming back recently after he was villainized and character-assassinated for the sake of a white character's story. lol Then the 2 characters of Monet & Sunspot aren't allowed to remain POC. They just get turned white most of the time.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-19-2018 at 07:40 PM.

BANNED

They really need to end the vicious cycle of not giving POC characters chances to shine in major titles and events. We can't always just have Storm, Bishop or Jubilee doing all the heavy lifting as representation.

Jubilee is hardly on the spotlight, having been demoted to the Gen X title after CC left.

Karma, Sunspot and Dani have already graduated to X-Men status but few writers want to write them except if the writer is a minority herself like Marjorie Liu who wrote Karma in Astonishing X-Men.

Watch the video below for when they joined the X-Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqT4hXxnjYE&t=330s
    Last edited by jalsrix; 09-19-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Jubilee is hardly on the spotlight, having been demoted to the Gen X title after CC left.

Karma, Sunspot and Dani have already graduated to X-Men status but few writers want to write them except if the writer is a minority herself like Marjorie Liu who wrote Karma in Astonishing X-Men.

Watch the video below for when they joined the X-Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqT4hXxnjYE&t=330s
    She wasn't on the main X-team, but she got a hell of a lot more development than CC was able to give her. But yes, her early run in Blue is what got her cameos in the X-Men movies and her role in TAS.

I'm specifically talking about being a member on a main title or playing significant roles in events; which they haven't done. Like Sam sporadically and Magik with Bendis. While I liked Lui using Karma and enjoyed her in Astonishing, I wouldn't even cite that run, considering it was still a satellite title despite being so well-written; it wasn't being used to move the franchise.

I rather see them mix with the 70s/80s legacy characters than have a reunion run again because it gives writers an excuse to isolate and then ignore them.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 09-19-2018 at 08:11 PM.

BANNED

She wasn't on the main X-team, but she got a hell of a lot more development than CC was able to give her. But yes, her early run in Blue is what got her cameos in the X-Men movies and her role in TAS.

I'm specifically talking about being a member on a main title or playing significant roles in events; which they haven't done. Like Sam sporadically and Magik with Bendis. While I liked Lui using Karma and enjoyed her in Astonishing, I wouldn't even cite that run, considering it was still a satellite title despite being so well-written; it wasn't being used to move the franchise.

I rather see them mix with the 70s/80s legacy characters than have a reunion run again because it gives writers an excuse to isolate and then ignore them.
    Karma wasn't just on Astonishing, she was also on X-Men with hardcore X-Men like Wolverine albeit briefly .

Kelly Thompson liked a tweet of mine about how I was looking forward to what they are doing with Magma and Sunspot!

Incredible Member

Ya I was thinking the same thing where is Sunspot. He had great character growth over the past few years. I hope they bring him back in a big way.

I am disappointed that some of you guys are proving the creators right about X-men fans whining about not seeing their favorite character and they show a ridiculous amount of characters on the uncanny/disassemble cover. They could use 100 X-men characters and someone still make a post like this it is far too early to complain about this when X-men disassemble event is over and they have core book rosters and we have actually information then is the time to complain but we have no grounds to be worried about the use any characters yet because so little has been revealed that said

There is one legit Sunspot complaint to be had and that is X-force is made Cannonball,Boom Boom, Shatterstar, Cable ,Domino ,Deathlock and Warpath. I find that to be BS and yes you don't put together teams of characters by racial quotas I understand that BUT I don't think I have seen one fan hype for Deathlock on X-force. And that feels like a space that could have been used for character fans wanted to see. Now I am giving the writers the Marvel the benefit of the doubt I don't think Deathlock is staying around long so that will probably be another character at someone point relatively soon. Also they seem to have plans for New Mutants characters So Dani, Karma, Illyana, Sunspot, Cypher, Wolfsbane, Rictor, Warlock and Guido are around with probably plan in place.

It is generally to early to complain about Sunspot being used except that specific example mention which doesn't mean he is not being used.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-19-2018 at 10:09 PM.