Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I meeeeean there ain't (shouldn't) be a f^cking guessing game. How hard is it to late to make sure a person press a lil harder when coloring in the brown people????
    She Black
    #NoshitFacts
    I think what your saying echoes my feelings about all of this. Roberto is not only white washed as well as Monet but until the past few years has been depicted stereotypically. The Latin hot heat who hits on all the women and is all machismo. I get when these characters where created but it’s no longer an excuse it’s 2018. He is underpowered in my opinion given his powerset. His powers are very similar to Superman’s and the big difference is his physiology. His speed, strength, and energy manipulation should be far stronger. It’s makes no sense why he doesn’t have solar regeneration but the MPOX is killing him. Why was a clone of him doing feats as Reignfire and showing ability the actual character never attempts. I thought Marvel lost a golden opportunity with the character regarding that story line by not making him a High Lord instead of Sam. Even still I felt there was a logical reason he was mistaken for one and it was because his power provided him extended life span given he is powered by solar energy and would evolve to being able to heal himself but nothing came out of it. It should not have taken decades for the needle to move the little it has for the character. Storm and Bishop should not be the only Alpha or Omega level Black or Hispanic mutants.
    Last edited by OWL45; 09-22-2018 at 03:21 PM.

The most recent content with Roberto did make him an uber powerhouse. They even called him the strongest mutant on earth. He really started to tap into that 'Superman' mold, where that solar energy he absorbs can also make him durable, fly, fire bolts, in addition to be super strong. It remains to be seen if the X-Line will let him keep all that if he ever makes it back.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The most recent content with Roberto did make him an uber powerhouse. They even called him the strongest mutant on earth. He really started to tap into that 'Superman' mold, where that solar energy he absorbs can also make him durable, fly, fire bolts, in addition to be super strong. It remains to be seen if the X-Line will let him keep all that if he ever makes it back.
    Its also killing him. I don think those feats are a stretch is my point. He should have naturally progressed there. Under the X line he was wall paper. I don’t want to see that happen again. Given there are so little Black and Hispanic characters it wouldn’t kill the X office to give the character a little love. It’s like pulling teeth. He was also presented as being intelligent and a leader in the Avengers.
    Last edited by OWL45; 09-22-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    Its also killing him. I don think those feats are a stretch is my point. He should have naturally progressed there. Under the X line he was wall paper. I don’t want to see that happen again. Given there are so little Black and Hispanic characters it wouldn’t kill the X office to give the character a little love. It’s like pulling teeth. He was also presented as being intelligent and a leader in the Avengers.
    To be fair, Claremont was showing him as such too in his X-Treme and Uncanny runs at the end. He was head of the LA X-Corp and then was becoming Black King of the Hellfire Club, showing a lot of political and business acumen.

I don't like the white streak in his hair/his powers are killing him thing. But that could easily be taken care of. The Clouds are gone, someone fetch Triage to fix any remaining damage. It's really just a question of whether the X-Line would bring he back into the fold. I would loooove to see him finance and lead his own X-Team.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    It kinda is amazing how developed he became in the Avengers line. Honestly, anything other than financing and leading an X-team would be a step down for him at this point. And power-level wise he's advanced so far. I'd love to see him make a team of some of the New Mutants and Gen X eras, with maybe one older X-Men(like Angel), and play on the global stage, coordinating with the main team (Storm, Jean, et al).
    This guy gets it.

Sunspot

Should be leading a global X-book.

He's a flying brick (Superman) With an Iconic look , who is rich like batman... and he's been trained since he was 14 or 15... In leadership, Combat Tactics, Group Psychology, and buisness but MAGNETO, CABLE AND GIDEON.

Robert Di Costa should be a ONE OF THE Premiere X-men. He's a boss.

... and the really should make look like he did in his first appearance or address that he's done something to lighten his skin like Sammie Sosa or Charlamange the God. Its jarring that I don't even know its him on a cover.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    This is a great post and addresses everything I wanted to say. Thank you.

You started this conversation. You accused anyone who was unhappy about Sunspot's demotion, backsliding, absence and general irrelevance within the X-men as simply complaining because "our faves aren't being used". The situation is a lot more complex than that, and I simply provided context and pointed out a pattern which this falls into.
    I said it about Brisson and I'll say to you, cutting down our arguments to "they're never satisfied because their favorite obscure character isn't being used" is a reductive tactic designed to shut us down without really thinking about why we're asking.

The writers have so many options at their disposal but keep choosing to focus on the same characters over and over in an obvious attempt to recreate Claremont's heights.
    Why keep using Colossus as a team bruiser when Sunspot, Frenzy, and Monet can also fill that role?
    Why use Old Man Logan in so many books when Daken is an option?
    Why have both nuPyro and Magma on the same team, and only use Magma's fire powers? Why not just use Sunfire at that point?
    Why is Beast the default super genius in every book when Prodigy literally knows everything he does and more?
    Why not use Dani or Karma as team illusionist or psychic?

First of all, giving white women prominent representation isn't all that progressive. It's kinda par for the course with the X-Books (Kitty, Rachel, Rogue, Psylocke, Dazzler, Jean, teen Jean, Emma, etc...).
    Giving women approximately 50% of the focus should be the baseline, literally the least you can do.
    And telling the racial minorities to wait our turn, to wait until after the white women have already gotten theirs is peak white feminism. And it's something we've been told a thousand times before.

I acknowledged that LGBTQ+ and Jewish have had some decent representation in the books in my initial post. But that does not change the fact that from a racial standpoint it's been a slow trog. Like nandes said in the fourth post of this thread, the X-Books can't seem to give a major push to more than one black woman and one black man at any one time.
    Also speaking of disability representation, you just me reminded that artists have routinely forgotten to draw Hellion's prosthetic arms consistently, sometimes he's drawn with regular hands. And I don't think Karma's prosthetic leg was even shown in the New Mutants Dead Souls mini. So yeah the X-Books can do better on that front too.

And hoping that more POCs get minor roles? So that they can stand in the chorus line, or in group shots, not doing anything significant but supporting the main characters who are mostly white? That's what we should accept as "good enough"?

I'm not even going to address the rest of that paragraph because ChronoRogue answered it better than I could.

2 out 5 of the initial line up were Warpath and Lady Deathstrike. That's 40%, better than most of the other books. Early arcs also gave a great deal of prominence to guest star Amadeus Cho. And the current arc is guest starring Monet. Is it perfect? God no. But you have to admit that Pak has at least tried.

We know what the transition for the 10 part arc looks like. We've seen Rosenberg's past team lineups. And we've seen Brisson's new team for X-Force.
    I feel like that's enough to make an educated guess.

Can they improve? God I hope so. But waiting to be disappointed again before calling them out just feels like being complicit.
    I just wanna say... This is the most FIRE post I've ever read on CBR. Clap. Clap. Clap.
    Epic.

But unless someone works in the X-office regardless of how we feel on a forum? Its impossible to be "complicit".

Meanwhile, and I've been advocating this for a while, would anyone read an X-book with:

Sunspot in the place of Cyclops? That way the X-books start to revolve around someone OTHER than the O-5.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 09-22-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.

Astonishing Member

So what do we think the deal is? Is it laziness? I highly doubt Marvel is saying don't push the minority characters. So are writers just lazy and go for the generic white characters first for their stories?
    Like many here I was shocked that Robert got developed so much more outside the Xbooks leading Avengers teams than he has with X-Men for decades. And that progress shouldn't be allowed to backslide into obscurity imo.

Its part of the reason I didn't like the teen 05 staying so long. They take away time and energy and stories that could go to backburner minority characters.
    Why so many alternate versions, and clones, and time displaced copies of the white characters when you can just use and develop the minorities that you already have. I would MUCH rather read a great story developing Roberto, or Bishop, or Storm even than the umpteenth wolverine clone, or cable clone, or fake jean.

Rictor and Shatterstar. Why doesn't someone take them and make them the premiere gay couple in comics? Make a challenge, take some obscure characters minorites and push them to the forefront. Stop with the 15 wolverines
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 09-22-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    So what do we think the deal is? Is it laziness? I highly doubt Marvel is saying don't push the minority characters. So are writers just lazy and go for the generic white characters first for their stories?
    Like many here I was shocked that Robert got developed so much more outside the Xbooks leading Avengers teams than he has with X-Men for decades. And that progress shouldn't be allowed to backslide into obscurity imo.

Its part of the reason I didn't like the teen 05 staying so long. They take away time and energy and stories that could go to backburner minority characters.
    Why so many alternate versions, and clones, and time displaced copies of the white characters when you can just use and develop the minorities that you already have. I would MUCH rather read a great story developing Roberto, or Bishop, or Storm even than the umpteenth wolverine clone, or cable clone, or fake jean.

Rictor and Shatterstar. Why doesn't someone take them and make them the premiere gay couple in comics? Make a challenge, take some obscure characters minorites and push them to the forefront. Stop with the 15 wolverines
    Interesting... I was with you till you got to "wolverine clone" Then it hit me.

Its Risk vs Reward... so ... money. I mentioned this earlier in a D.C. thread. Characters have gravity to them.

Wolverines a perfect example... his popularity, makes the company pour more into him, increasing his popularity and so on and so forth untill even a copy of him is more "Financially" viable than investing in other characters.

How much effort do you think it would take for Storm or Bishop to carry a solo film? The're trying it with Captain Marvel right now but... they determined something like "We have to do this no matter what?" or "we have a wonder woman gap"
    doesn't matter what was said at all so don't get off on a tanget.
    The point is with your post I can see why they don't, they want to play it safe with big names and try to pull money in. . . Not realizing... the others won't become as bright if you don't pour effort into them as well.

Sigh.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Interesting... I was with you till you got to "wolverine clone" Then it hit me.

Its Risk vs Reward... so ... money. I mentioned this earlier in a D.C. thread. Characters have gravity to them.

Wolverines a perfect example... his popularity, makes the company pour more into him, increasing his popularity and so on and so forth untill even a copy of him is more "Financially" viable than investing in other characters.

How much effort do you think it would take for Storm or Bishop to carry a solo film? The're trying it with Captain Marvel right now but... they determined something like "We have to do this no matter what?" or "we have a wonder woman gap"
    doesn't matter what was said at all so don't get off on a tanget.
    The point is with your post I can see why they don't, they want to play it safe with big names and try to pull money in. . . Not realizing... the others won't become as bright if you don't pour effort into them as well.

Sigh.
    I think you are probably right. Its safer to take a popular character make a female copy. Female Wolverine, Female Thor, Female "Iron man". They automatically get initial press outside "the industry" it's safe.

Sad because X-Men specifically has some of Marvel's most important and diverse women, gay and minority characters. A good writer could bring any one of them up to the level of a premiere showcase character by investing good development and stories on them rather than pour that energy into clone stories or time displaced alternate versions for the millionth time.

I think you are probably right. Its safer to take a popular character make a female copy. Female Wolverine, Female Thor, Female "Iron man". They automatically get initial press outside "the industry" it's safe.

Sad because X-Men specifically has some of Marvel's most important and diverse women, gay and minority characters. A good writer could bring any one of them up to the level of a premiere showcase character by investing good development and stories on them rather than pour that energy into clone stories or time displaced alternate versions for the millionth time.
    Yeah I don't support that plan either because it just ensures we will never get use out of the characters we want to see. I'd rather read a book about Cloak, Night Thrasher or Midnights fire, Patriot or Prodigy than read about Miles (the other) spider-man.

...and so on a so forth. You'd be surprised how rare it is to get for example: A Rictor, Shatterstar, or Northstar book... when Icemans "Outing" is whats in the news. They just kind of pat themselves on the back and keep it moving.

I think its shitty and stupid to replace those characters they way they tried to do, because there are enough characters to do it organically except I'm thinking.... I'm thinking marvel likes the fanfare and backlash of what happens when they do.

Lol, I'm not in the board meetings, but it'd be hilarious if they made those moves and just thought "So many people will love this!"

No.

What they can do is launch an X-book with Sunspot at the helm.
    Use those established characters with good fan bases and no book to be on the team and go from there.

I mean how many people want to see those forgotten new X-kids? There's a lot of potential that goes untapped when ...

the books grow stagnant, and basic formula of x-books (your new family) gets replaced with constant extinctions.

So what do we think the deal is? Is it laziness? I highly doubt Marvel is saying don't push the minority characters.
    Looking at the live action casting for Sunspot(X-Men::AoA, New Mutants, The Gifted)...It's hard not to believe there's some racial biases

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    This guy gets it.

Sunspot

Should be leading a global X-book.

He's a flying brick (Superman) With an Iconic look , who is rich like batman... and he's been trained since he was 14 or 15... In leadership, Combat Tactics, Group Psychology, and buisness but MAGNETO, CABLE AND GIDEON.

Robert Di Costa should be a ONE OF THE Premiere X-men. He's a boss.

... and the really should make look like he did in his first appearance or address that he's done something to lighten his skin like Sammie Sosa or Charlamange the God. Its jarring that I don't even know its him on a cover.
    Finally someone making sence.

Though about the look, I would prefer the AoX/Eclipse look.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

If he’s been developed in avengers maybe that’s why he isn’t in the xbooks? Since he’s gettin all that time in avengers.

(Not saying I think he shouldn’t be in uncanny xmen.... just giving what I guess is the likely explanation)
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    If he’s been developed in avengers maybe that’s why he isn’t in the xbooks? Since he’s gettin all that time in avengers.

(Not saying I think he shouldn’t be in uncanny xmen.... just giving what I guess is the likely explanation)
    The OP was talking about not seeing him in the previews or not anything hearing anything Sunspot from writers.

And given how much progression he has gotten in the Avengers, It is hard to imagine the X-men books doing justice he has become a definitive leader type, It is going to be weird if that isn't reflected in the X-books

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post

Sunspot, Rogue and Cannonball all left the Avenger books.

Now Rogue has got her own (shared with Gambit) series and got further development after she left the Avengers.
    Cannonball is clearly part of the Disassembled story and will be part of the new X-Force series.
    However, no word on Sunspot yet and that is why this thread started.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"