Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You Become an Eternal Champion

You’re sitting in your living room late one night when two figures appear before you.

One wears a long white robe. His face is hooded and he wears a blank white mask over his face. He holds a pair of scales.

The other is … Ron Weasley, age perhaps thirty. He wears a musketeers outfit of red and green and a large plumed hat. A rapier hangs from one side and a Potterverse wand from the other.

The robed figure holds the scales forth. They wobble a bit, then balance out.

“YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN,” he says, “AND MUST THEREFORE CHOOSE.”

The scales disappear to be replaced by four tarot cards. He lays them out before you. The images are: (1) Duncan Idaho of Dune, (2) Forge of the 616 X-Men, (3) Post-Crisis Batman, and (4) Mister Spock of TOS/TNG.

“A moment please,” says Ron. “He’s not very good at explaining things, is he? Cosmics!” He rolls his eyes. “Do you know what an Eternal Champion is?”

“I never finished all the Potter books,” you say. “Or is this a Hunger Games kind of thing?”

“Ah, never mind. The point is, you’re going to be eternally reincarnated throughout different universes and placed in situations where you’ll have to fight evil for the fate of whole worlds.”

“That’s gonna suck for those worlds. I’m kind of a couch potato.”

“Not to worry. You get the standard reincarnation package, and you get to choose from one of four combination skill-sets/power-packages to take with you.”

“Standard reincarnation package?”

“In each incarnation you get perfect mental and physical health, a comely appearance, immunity to terrestrial disease, detoxification equal to ten times your weight, regeneration sufficient to regrow an arm within one year, wealthy parents in a good situation, and low-level universal translation ability.

“You don’t get to keep the memories you’ve acquired in this life, but you’ll have a deep unconscious awareness of having once been who you are. You also get two magic items that show up in each life: a +5 Dancing, Ghost Touch, Vorpal Sword and a Ring of Three Wishes. That’s three wishes each lifetime, no wishing for more wishes. You’ll get the hang of it.”

“I’m still going to get creamed.”

“That’s where the choice comes in. Choose one of the cards and you get a bunch of skills, powers, traits and attributes that accompany you each incarnation. By about age sixteen to eighteen, they'll have reappeared in full.”

DUNCAN IDAHO:
    • All skills, knowledge, talents and abilities of Duncan Idaho, swordmaster of the Ginaz (first incarnation);
    • All skills, knowledge, powers and abilities of a Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother (except for genetic memory and memory transference);
    • All skills, knowledge, powers and abilities of a mentat Master of Assassins at the level of Thufir Hawat;
    • Master Scytale's knowledge of biochemistry and genetics;
    • Precognitive dreams of people, things and events of importance to you;
    • You have no need for spice or other drugs to keep up your abilities.

FORGE:
    • You get all of Forge’s skills, knowledge and experience, plus his mutant inventing ability and a genius intelligence. Your power works in all universes, and also informs you of any differences in scientific laws in different universes (no mistakes along these lines).
    • You get all of Forge’s shamanistic mystical abilities, although magical laws may vary among different universes. Basically, if magic exists in a universe, this package guarantees you “the gift” each lifetime. (Doesn't mean no magic gifts ever with other packages, just that then it's up to Fate not you.)
    • You also get all the skills (but not powers) of these four individuals: Kurt Wagner (Nightcrawler), Dane Whitman (Black Knight), Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman), Benjamin Grimm (Thing).
    • Minimum physical abilities of a real-world olympic athlete.

BATMAN:
    • All the skills, knowledge, experience and physical conditioning of Post-Crisis Batman, Hal Jordan, Oliver Queen, Catwoman, Talia al Ghul, Barbara Gordon.
    • Physical stats equal to comic book peak human.
    • You have Hal Jordan’s prowess of willpower and concentration, but no power ring or emerald energies. If you ever come across cosmic energies, you may daw upon his experience in wielding them.
    • Oliver Queen’s eyesight at it’s peak, plus your eyesight never atropies with age.
    • Barbara Gordon level photographic memory.

SPOCK:
    • All the skills, knowledge, experience and physical conditioning of Ambassador Spock in his prime.
    • Vulcan level strength, speed, durability, lifespan, and cognitive abilities (time sense, instant computation, acute memory, etc).
    • Vulcan powers at Spock’s level in his prime. So, mind meld, mind control, nerve pinch, and other Spock feats.
    • All the skills and knowledge of James Kirk, Leonard McCoy, Sulu; Jean-Luc Picard, Worf, Deanna Troi (no powers); Odo (no powers), Elim Garak, Miles O'Brien; Tom Paris, Kathryn Janeway, Tuvok.

“So once you choose one of these,” says Ron, “you’ll be imbued with the standard package and your chosen set right now in this lifetime. Minus the wealthy parents, I guess, unless you were lucky enough to get that already. Oh, here’s your sword and ring.”

He pulls out his wand. “Accio champion artifacto!”

Your sword and ring appear before you.

“So after you choose, you just sort of, you know, hang out and enjoy what remains of this incarnation. I think a ship is going to come and pick you up in few years. You’ll have to go with it. They don’t take 'no' for an answer....

"Hey, how do you know a cosmic entity is keeping something important from you? His lips are moving!”

Ron erupts in uproarious laughter.

“THE GRAVITY OF EVENTS IS NO OCCASSION FOR LEVITY.”

“You see? They’re always such poopers. So which one looks good?”

MOSt Likely Duncan Idaho, as in the extended Duneverse end he becomes the “true” Messiah as Paul was a incomplete one.

Duncan even gets merged with the smartest AI Mind so he is man and machine and usher in a new age of goodness and his wife head of the space hookers. It will be glorious.

Plus his default fighting skill is nothing to sneeze at and has meant abilities as well.

( And when he did the fusion of robot. He could then do the genetic member trick including the AI as part of the fold.)

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    You’re sitting in your living room late one night when two figures appear before you.
    I kill them and take their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I kill them and take their stuff.
    The best stuff was your sword and ring, which you now don't get because you killed Ron Weasley before he could summon them for you.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

The best stuff was your sword and ring, which you now don't get because you killed Ron Weasley before he could summon them for you.
    Nah, dawg, I got a sweet robe and set of scales.

And Ron Weasely's pants.

Astonishing Member

Spock option, please.

Forge, definitely. I mean, not only comic-book uber-genius but also the ability to basically ‘accidentally’ invent exactly what I want to invent, with potentially very useful magic on top. And then you add in some of the best swordsmanship in comics (between Kurt and Dane combined), high-level private investigator (from Jessica) and both pugilism & wrestling and crazy piloting skills from Ben.

Sure you don’t get FTL travel like Spock, but then in our universe, who are you realistically going to visit with FTL travel?

And you can build your own spacecraft if you want, anyway.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Can I throw a brick at them and ask What a Monarch has to do to get a FLIPPIN UNINTERUPTED NIGHT'S SLEEP AROUND HERE?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Can I throw a brick at them and ask What a Monarch has to do to get a FLIPPIN UNINTERUPTED NIGHT'S SLEEP AROUND HERE?
    If you make a choice, they've give you your powers and artifacts and leave you alone for a few years until the ship comes for you, at which point you must sail the seas of fate.

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

Forge only because of his creative tech skills fascinates me!
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

So, is the sword an aspect of the Black Sword?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    So, is the sword an aspect of the Black Sword?
    Not that I had in mind. My thinking was there could be any number of Eternal Champions out there, John Daker just being one/many, and you're a different Champion, and not one of soul-sucking ones.

Not that I had in mind. My thinking was there could be any number of Eternal Champions out there, John Daker just being one/many, and you're a different Champion, and not one of soul-sucking ones.
    I don't know man, the sword was pretty persistent in finding some way to be wielded by the Eternal Champion, even if it had to do something like be the dark jewel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I don't know man, the sword was pretty persistent in finding some way to be wielded by the Eternal Champion, even if it had to do something like be the dark jewel.
    According to what you've been told, it's just a +5 Dancing, Ghost Touch, Vorpal Blade.

Then again:

"Hey, how do you know a cosmic entity is keeping something important from you? His lips are moving!”
    So, hey, could be....

Here's what I'm getting at. Given the life of the Eternal Champion, the basically predestined intersection with the Black Sword, the fact that the Ship that Sails the Seas of Fate is coming for you, and what happens to all the incarnations of the Champion by the Conjunction of the Million Spheres, the best choice seems to be to run screaming away so fast you leave a dust cloud outline of yourself, Looney Toons styles ;p