Mighty Member

Default Hell Fest (2018 slasher film) coming this late september

NOW this is the TRUE Halloween horror film even of the year! Screw Halloween 2018 because to me that franchise is dead already and needs to be buried from film in favor of new horror icons and new franchises.

This looks like a fun modern slasher film that feels like a breath of fresh air and a potential to spawn a franchise even make a fresh new horror icon, it's better than bringing dead horror franchises like Saw or Elm Street or Friday The 13th or Child's Play or Hellraiser or Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Scream or Halloween back from the dead when they need to rest in peace.

Now this should be a hit among horror fans who want something new and fresh! a true slasher comeback to the mainstream and should be a word of mouth to have horror fans see this one.

Mighty Member

Any other horror fans excited?

It looks interesting. If it's getting a theatrical, I'll check it out. It's been a weak year for horror so I gotta have something.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    It looks interesting. If it's getting a theatrical, I'll check it out. It's been a weak year for horror so I gotta have something.
    Well A Quiet Place was a surprise and one of my fave movies of the year.

You agree this should be a hit and better than bringing long dead franchises like those back? we need new horror franchises and new horror icons.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Well A Quiet Place was a surprise and one of my fave movies of the year.

You agree this should be a hit and better than bringing long dead franchises like those back? we need new horror franchises and new horror icons.
    Exactly. I thought what they're doing to the Halloween franchise now is such a cheap shot to make it relevant again by erasing the sequels. We were suppose to get this movie called Death House released, but so far, it was only released in a couple of states and now it's pretty much gonna be a straight-to-video/VOD release by December as it seems they had trouble giving it a wide release. I'm hoping the next year will be better for horror with Three From Hell, Zombieland 2, It: Chapter 2 and Godzilla 2 coming out and hopefully some more gems.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Exactly. I thought what they're doing to the Halloween franchise now is such a cheap shot to make it relevant again by erasing the sequels. We were suppose to get this movie called Death House released, but so far, it was only released in a couple of states and now it's pretty much gonna be a straight-to-video/VOD release by December as it seems they had trouble giving it a wide release. I'm hoping the next year will be better for horror with Three From Hell, Zombieland 2, It: Chapter 2 and Godzilla 2 coming out and hopefully some more gems.
    I smell bullshit on the praise to Halloween 2018, i was fooled by the "praise" of Curse of Chucky and Cult and those movies pissed me off like Seed and i felt the Child's Play franchise ended with 3 while believe the other sequels are just spin-offs starring Chucky and all that praise does is just kill the franchise and i believe it's dead and Don Mancini is a hack writer/director at this point and lost his touch after 3.

I prefer the Friday The 13th and Elm Street franchises over Halloween but i dig Halloween 1, 2 3, 4 and H2O as i disliked 5/6/Resurrection/remakes and the last Halloween film worth a damn was H2O and that ended the story in my book well. But NOOO they had to make Resurrection only to kill the franchise even the remake with sequel, they are turning this character into a joke since Resurrection and i'm sick/tired of it. I'm not looking forward to the new movie.

The trailers i've seen so far look like the same shit as H2O/4/1/2 in one as it's ignoring the sequels yet "homaging" them in half-assed nostalgia jerking off ways, hypocritical and offering nothing new even in story. Jamie Lee Curtis did this for a paycheck as i can tell she is not having a good time with this as she looks haggard/worn out just like this franchise as it's time she needs to do something new. I don't get the hype or praise! the story is just H2O only 40 years and all that as i've seen it before in other parts of the franchise and the title is lazy i mean "Halloween" with no subtitle and looks like way too much fucking homages which are half-assed. If you saw the second trailer that's the case, there's an entire sequence in the trailer that is a near shot to shot version of a sequence in Halloween 2 1981 only with a different person killed for it's not a homage anymore but a friggin rip off, nothing new and the same regurgitation of the same crap i've seen before in the franchise even the remake.

Every trailer i've seen for this movie makes me less and less interested, the style looks impressive but not the substance for the story as it's style over substance from the looks of it. It's offering nothing new! it's the same as H2O only the sibling plot is removed and i dislike that! i don't need a fake Halloween 2 when i got the real one from 1981 on blu-ray in my boxset from Scream Factory and will soon get the steelbook 4K remastered version of Halloween 2 and 3 soon in the mail. Nick Castle playing the shape again but anyone can play Michael where Michael is like Jason and Leatherface where they are characters who do not need to relay on the character actor playing the character like Robert Englund for Freddy Krueger as you just wear a mask, say nothing and have movements to be a physical presence than a performance. I'm not excited about 78 year old nick castle playing Michael again and Carpenter being involved? i can listen to some music from the soundtrack without having to see the movie. Carpenter involved with the production? probably very limited and him saying "oh it's great" as he said that before about other shit in the last decade as he's tasked with selling the film for what do you think he's gonna do with this franchise? is he gonna say the movie sucks to the media? no he's getting paid and i think it's time Carpenter should do something different than just Halloween, i'd say have him do a film for an independent production company than a bigger studio because they'll just screw him over. Why should i be excited? i am not, at least Zombie did something different with his remake despite i thought the remake was lame as hell. I'm not creaming my face and putting on my michael myers mask and jumpsuit, i don't get it or the hype! it's the 11th film in the franchise and offering nothing new and the same stuff you've seen before with new coat of pant. Danny McBride i enjoyed Eastbound and Down but can he just try something else? i don't think he would work for a horror film as he's better with comedy and too many goddamned lazy half-assed homages even to Halloween III which i can just watch Halloween III at home.

If anyone looking forward to the new Halloween, that's fine i have no issue with that! i just don't get the hype or praise this movie is getting. People are going to be lining up the door, to see this, but to each their own, yet i hope it's a surprise or the best Halloween in years but i doubt it is. At the same time, i hope it isn't it but if it turns out to be good, i just don't want to see these horror icons (Jason, Freddy, Chucky, Ghostface, Michael, Leatherface, Jigsaw) over and over again on the big screen and your just gonna get diminishing returns just like the Universal monsters being ran into the ground in the 30s/40s/50s as they had huge characters and big hits on their hands then pumped out sequel after another (the only great sequel is Bride of Frankenstein) and the bottom completely fell out with diminishing box-office returns and before these characters became jokes even with Abbot and Costello movies then Universal knew when to quit. If Halloween 2018 becomes a hit then studios will be like "audiences want more Halloween, they want more Candyman, more Freddy, Jason Voorhees etc.", but for Candyman, one Candyman movie was enough as the first was excellent but the sequels were cash-ins and no more Elm Street films, Robert IS Freddy as Jackie proved it was a failure to recast Freddy for you can't do it, Robert IS the character and always was as even Englund said so. Can't we have new horror icons already? let the worn out old tired icons like Freddy, Michael, Jason, Leatherface, Jigsaw, Ghostface, Candyman, Chucky and Pinhead die and rest in peace already, don't keep digging up them from their graves every 5 or 10 or 15 years then propping their corpses up on the big screen in Weekend at Bernies style. Just come up with with your own new horror icon and new horror franchise already! i'm not super big in Insidious and the Conjuring spin-offs but at least it's something different, well not quite different, but not the same old horror franchise some of us seen or the same horror icons for they are trying to create their own. I know they haven't been the best but at least they are giving a shit and giving it an effort, that's just how i feel about it. Just like in the last decade we got new horror icons in the mainstream like the Creeper, Captain Splauding and Jigsaw while Sam from Trick R Treat becomes a cult horror icon with Leslie Vernon when Trick and Behind the Mask were sent to the DVD direct to video market rather than to all mainstream theaters which should had happened even Hatchet was shown in midnight theaters than all theaters as there's Victor Crawley whom is a cult horror icon. Now outside the mainstream we got Wolfcop, Tucker and Dale etc. should had been released in all theaters.

I'd say end these horror franchises (Chucky/Halloween/Elm Street/Friday The 13th/Saw/Scream/Hellraiser/Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and bury them, let them rest in peace from film and let them live on through merchandise, comics, video games, toys, appreal, streams of the old movies on amazon/hulu/crackle/Netflix whatever even re-issues of the films on blu-ray and that's fair game. Can we have new original cinematic horror icons/new franchises already? try to come up with new horror icons/franchises and try try again mainstream and let the older franchises rest in peace in favor of new franchises/new icons.

I'd rather spend money to see Hell Fest instead which is something different in mainstream horror and a comeback for slasher films, we need to make that a box-office hit and send the message to studios we want fresh new horror icons and new franchises as that movie has potential to make one.

Being a fan of these worn out horror franchises/icons like Halloween are like having a beloved friend who's been on life support for years, you've come to accept they are gone, you are just waiting for someone to realize to pull that plug.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    I smell bullshit on the praise to Halloween 2018, i was fooled by the "praise" of Curse of Chucky and Cult and those movies pissed me off like Seed and i felt the Child's Play franchise ended with 3 while believe the other sequels are just spin-offs starring Chucky and all that praise does is just kill the franchise and i believe it's dead and Don Mancini is a hack writer/director at this point and lost his touch after 3.

I prefer the Friday The 13th and Elm Street franchises over Halloween but i dig Halloween 1, 2 3, 4 and H2O as i disliked 5/6/Resurrection/remakes and the last Halloween film worth a damn was H2O and that ended the story in my book well. But NOOO they had to make Resurrection only to kill the franchise even the remake with sequel, they are turning this character into a joke since Resurrection and i'm sick/tired of it. I'm not looking forward to the new movie.

The trailers i've seen so far look like the same shit as H2O/4/1/2 in one as it's ignoring the sequels yet "homaging" them in half-assed nostalgia jerking off ways, hypocritical and offering nothing new even in story. Jamie Lee Curtis did this for a paycheck as i can tell she is not having a good time with this as she looks haggard/worn out just like this franchise as it's time she needs to do something new. I don't get the hype or praise! the story is just H2O only 40 years and all that as i've seen it before in other parts of the franchise and the title is lazy i mean "Halloween" with no subtitle and looks like way too much fucking homages which are half-assed. If you saw the second trailer that's the case, there's an entire sequence in the trailer that is a near shot to shot version of a sequence in Halloween 2 1981 only with a different person killed for it's not a homage anymore but a friggin rip off, nothing new and the same regurgitation of the same crap i've seen before in the franchise even the remake.

Every trailer i've seen for this movie makes me less and less interested, the style looks impressive but not the substance for the story as it's style over substance from the looks of it. It's offering nothing new! it's the same as H2O only the sibling plot is removed and i dislike that! i don't need a fake Halloween 2 when i got the real one from 1981 on blu-ray in my boxset from Scream Factory and will soon get the steelbook 4K remastered version of Halloween 2 and 3 soon in the mail. Nick Castle playing the shape again but anyone can play Michael where Michael is like Jason and Leatherface where they are characters who do not need to relay on the character actor playing the character like Robert Englund for Freddy Krueger as you just wear a mask, say nothing and have movements to be a physical presence than a performance. I'm not excited about 78 year old nick castle playing Michael again and Carpenter being involved? i can listen to some music from the soundtrack without having to see the movie. Carpenter involved with the production? probably very limited and him saying "oh it's great" as he said that before about other shit in the last decade as he's tasked with selling the film for what do you think he's gonna do with this franchise? is he gonna say the movie sucks to the media? no he's getting paid and i think it's time Carpenter should do something different than just Halloween, i'd say have him do a film for an independent production company than a bigger studio because they'll just screw him over. Why should i be excited? i am not, at least Zombie did something different with his remake despite i thought the remake was lame as hell. I'm not creaming my face and putting on my michael myers mask and jumpsuit, i don't get it or the hype! it's the 11th film in the franchise and offering nothing new and the same stuff you've seen before with new coat of pant. Danny McBride i enjoyed Eastbound and Down but can he just try something else? i don't think he would work for a horror film as he's better with comedy and too many goddamned lazy half-assed homages even to Halloween III which i can just watch Halloween III at home.

If anyone looking forward to the new Halloween, that's fine i have no issue with that! i just don't get the hype or praise this movie is getting. People are going to be lining up the door, to see this, but to each their own, yet i hope it's a surprise or the best Halloween in years but i doubt it is. At the same time, i hope it isn't it but if it turns out to be good, i just don't want to see these horror icons (Jason, Freddy, Chucky, Ghostface, Michael, Leatherface, Jigsaw) over and over again on the big screen and your just gonna get diminishing returns just like the Universal monsters being ran into the ground in the 30s/40s/50s as they had huge characters and big hits on their hands then pumped out sequel after another (the only great sequel is Bride of Frankenstein) and the bottom completely fell out with diminishing box-office returns and before these characters became jokes even with Abbot and Costello movies then Universal knew when to quit. If Halloween 2018 becomes a hit then studios will be like "audiences want more Halloween, they want more Candyman, more Freddy, Jason Voorhees etc.", but for Candyman, one Candyman movie was enough as the first was excellent but the sequels were cash-ins and no more Elm Street films, Robert IS Freddy as Jackie proved it was a failure to recast Freddy for you can't do it, Robert IS the character and always was as even Englund said so. Can't we have new horror icons already? let the worn out old tired icons like Freddy, Michael, Jason, Leatherface, Jigsaw, Ghostface, Candyman, Chucky and Pinhead die and rest in peace already, don't keep digging up them from their graves every 5 or 10 or 15 years then propping their corpses up on the big screen in Weekend at Bernies style. Just come up with with your own new horror icon and new horror franchise already! i'm not super big in Insidious and the Conjuring spin-offs but at least it's something different, well not quite different, but not the same old horror franchise some of us seen or the same horror icons for they are trying to create their own. I know they haven't been the best but at least they are giving a shit and giving it an effort, that's just how i feel about it. Just like in the last decade we got new horror icons in the mainstream like the Creeper, Captain Splauding and Jigsaw while Sam from Trick R Treat becomes a cult horror icon with Leslie Vernon when Trick and Behind the Mask were sent to the DVD direct to video market rather than to all mainstream theaters which should had happened even Hatchet was shown in midnight theaters than all theaters as there's Victor Crawley whom is a cult horror icon. Now outside the mainstream we got Wolfcop, Tucker and Dale etc. should had been released in all theaters.

I'd say end these horror franchises (Chucky/Halloween/Elm Street/Friday The 13th/Saw/Scream/Hellraiser/Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and bury them, let them rest in peace from film and let them live on through merchandise, comics, video games, toys, appreal, streams of the old movies on amazon/hulu/crackle/Netflix whatever even re-issues of the films on blu-ray and that's fair game. Can we have new original cinematic horror icons/new franchises already? try to come up with new horror icons/franchises and try try again mainstream and let the older franchises rest in peace in favor of new franchises/new icons.

I'd rather spend money to see Hell Fest instead which is something different in mainstream horror and a comeback for slasher films, we need to make that a box-office hit and send the message to studios we want fresh new horror icons and new franchises as that movie has potential to make one.

Being a fan of these worn out horror franchises/icons like Halloween are like having a beloved friend who's been on life support for years, you've come to accept they are gone, you are just waiting for someone to realize to pull that plug.
    78??? Holee sheet!!!

Yeah I think they should've put the Halloween series to rest. We haven't heard anything from Friday The 13th in nearly 10 years as well as Elm St. I'm always hoping to see new franchises that's gonna be on the level as those particular three. I'm disappointed as to how Death House was marketed and I think they should've went to the independent market. I'm not feeling the Conjuring and the Purge franchises as I think they could do alot better. We just have to settle for the underground films that go to independent cinemas and VOD. Do you have any independent theaters from where you live? That's pretty much the way to go. I've been hearing so much about this new film Mandy that stars Nicholas Cage, go figure and it's been getting rave reviews in the horror genre. I'm hoping Hell Fest will deliver the goods so we'll see.