Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mr. Freeze Sub-"Zero" Appreciation Thread

There's a reason this thread is named the way it is . . .

First appearance: Batman #121 (February 1959) . . .

. . . but he went by the name of "Mr. Zero" then.

When he appeared again in the 1960s, he had changed his name to "Mr. Freeze", but his real name wasn't as yet known.

from Detective Comics #373 (March 1968)

It wouldn't be until the early 1990s that he would get his tragic back-story and his identity of "Dr. Victor Fries".

Last edited by MajorHoy; 11-20-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: replaced image that apparently no longer linked

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XV (May 1986)

Notice he still is listed with "Real Name: Unknown" in 1986.
    And he's wearing an outfit that I always think of as his "Super Powers" costume.

Before that, he had been sporting this look in the late 1970s/early 1980s:

Spectacular Member

One of my faves. Probably my second after the riddler.. the recent collection Batman arkham- Mr Freeze. Is well put together. Especally as it features Mr Freeze's chilling death trap and Fire & Ice.

I actually assumed this thread was about the movie Sub Zero. Which is also a great outing for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by riddler123 View Post
    I actually assumed this thread was about the movie Sub Zero. Which is also a great outing for the character.
    Sorry. I just wanted to have a nod to his original name in the thread title.

Whilst I think BTAS did everything to make him as great as he is today it also kind of limited him.

Spectacular Member

He was good innthe Batman 66 series even if he was played by a different actor each time. The George Sanders eps are probably the best.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Whilst I think BTAS did everything to make him as great as he is today it also kind of limited him.
    I will agree with this, as when it comes to the longevity of comic books, it makes it harder to justify him crying over Nora all of the time. Whenever they try to push him away from that the results can range from mediocre to...disastrous. Even in BTAS they had to use him sparingly as there's only so much you can do with that motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I will agree with this, as when it comes to the longevity of comic books, it makes it harder to justify him crying over Nora all of the time. Whenever they try to push him away from that the results can range from mediocre to...disastrous. Even in BTAS they had to use him sparingly as there's only so much you can do with that motivation.
    Well you can still keep it as the backstory / motivation as long as you don't make it so dominant for later stories you're telling.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Keep Nora as someone who can easily be revived at the right time, and you do get a somewhat limited Mr. Freeze, but try to excise that element and he's just another psycho, which is the issue with the New 52 version. Of course, before that, his wife had been killed for a few years and then briefly became Lazara, which was an idea I'm disappointed never got followed up on.

I say, split the difference. Nora was frozen, is still salvageable, but being frozen in ice and jostled and roped a few times puts her in such critical condition that her actual freedom is decades away. So Freeze is basically a mercenary with an exceptionally short temper and a tendency to freestyle.

Or just make Lazara a real thing, and have Freeze be perpetually ticked off about that. Nora's only limiting of you can't figure out a motivation for why he's involved with a particular crime and conflict.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

It wouldn't be until the early 1990s that he would get his tragic back-story and his identity of "Dr. Victor Fries".

Besides his techno villain vibe and his intriguing powerset, his tragic backstory is what I love most about the character. I can't picture him with any other origins.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I honestly think the "Sub Zero" movie is a better conclusion to Batman: TAS than any of Batman Beyond's endings.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Cover to BATMAN #375.

Batman375.jpg

from 2013's "Villains Month":

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I honestly think the "Sub Zero" movie is a better conclusion to Batman: TAS than any of Batman Beyond's endings.
    Agreed. It's a definite bonus that Bruce never involves himself with Barbara (worst decision made by Bruce Timm by far)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. That would have been a real high note on which to end things.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."