Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    It is one thing if Hasbro does it, but Marvel should at least take a leaf from DC and rebuild their kids comics brand themselves and not let other people do the work for them.
    They keep trying. They published one only yesterday.

Apart from cartoon tie-in stuff they are just not very good at it. Why do what you are not very good at when you can focus on what you can do well? Marvel do the suitable for all ages style books better than they do kids books.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-20-2018 at 07:33 AM.

This isn't the first time Marvel has let other studios do their stuff. It won't be the last. The sky is not falling.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Disney has a long history of buying up and shutting down the studios it acquires. Marvel's only saving grace has been that Disney was more concerned with merchandise and movies then the comic book source material. However, that is now changeing, when Disney is willing to license out even core Marvel IP like the Avengers to third party publishers. That in truth, Disney's publisher agnostic attitude towards comics is the death knell of Marvel. When there is nothing special about Marvel there's no point in keeping the 'house of ideas' around.
    Marvel is an LLC with Disney being the parent company and as such are kept distinct entities. An LLC is not required to have a board of directors either, but Marvel does and it doesn't directly report to Disney. Marvel does not report to Disney until it comes down to tax time because the parent company files losses and gains. Other than that, Marvel continues operating business as usual. Not to mention that while Disney does own Marvel, companies still have to go through Marvel to license out those IPs. You can actually do that from Marvel's own website. The reason it's distinct is due to liabilities as companies do not and should not risk money and assets should something happen to another section of the company.

Meaning Disney has absolutely no incentive to shut anything down. Disney at the end of the day is not losing anything because Marvel is kept going on its own capital just under the Disney umbrella. If Marvel went under tomorrow, it will not affect Disney in the slightest, it just affects Marvel. They would file the companies loss and that's it.

Disney cares more about animation/film than the whims of the publishing division. It's far more concerning when Marvel products show up on an unaffiliated Disney channel.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by VGCinema View Post
    This is the first time I've personally seen Marvel do this, but I think it's a really cool idea. More All-Ages books is a good thing in my opinion.
    EMH
    https://www.marvel.com/comics/series...es_2012_-_2013

SHS
    https://www.marvel.com/comics/series...ad_2009_-_2010
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Disney has a long history of buying up and shutting down the studios it acquires.
    Like LucasArts?

Marvel's only saving grace has been that Disney was more concerned with merchandise and movies then the comic book source material. However, that is now changeing, when Disney is willing to license out even core Marvel IP like the Avengers to third party publishers. That in truth, Disney's publisher agnostic attitude towards comics is the death knell of Marvel. When there is nothing special about Marvel there's no point in keeping the 'house of ideas' around.
    A lot of speculation there and not much evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Marvel and DC have been doing this a good long while now, why the sudden surprise?
    Because it can be used to buttress ideological agendas.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Hey, I heard Marvel is licensing out some of their characters to IDW in hopes that IDW's successful efforts in launching more kid friendly books will also be successful with Marvel properties. While I can imagine it's probably because Marvel isn't a big fan of confusing their publishing efforts and might see trying to relaunch (another) youth oriented book about the same heroes with the same exact branding as their mainstream book as hard for consumers? I choose to believe it's because Disney has divined from chicken bones tossed in a fire that it should shut down one of it's more profitable arms that support it's merchandising and movie recognition sides completely because... I don't know. But that MUST be the answer. There's no other reason huge corporations with tons of moving cogs and tremendous business minded departments have other than to make really simple and broad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I still insist that Marvel should have a total Mutant Extinction event and then totally seperate and licence out the X-Men to another company. I also know this wouldn't be popular but I can dream.
    I could settle for some all-ages X-Men comics .
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    This isn't the first time Marvel has let other studios do their stuff. It won't be the last. The sky is not falling.
    Now if only they would do the same with the animation in their cartoons again.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Because it can be used to buttress ideological agendas.
    Surely not! This is the final straw. Evidence Disney hates comic fans. Evidence that DC is better than Marvel. Evidence that comics are dying. Evidence that Perlmutter is only in it for the toys. Evidence that Marvel are deliberately killing the direct market. Evidence that... um, I have run out of ideological steam, something about liberals?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    It is one thing if Hasbro does it, but Marvel should at least take a leaf from DC and rebuild their kids comics brand themselves and not let other people do the work for them.
    One difference-DC's kids line (aside from Dc Super Hero Girls) does not feature characters who endure pure HATE from fan factions and comic book store owners.

No one has accused Future Quest, Loony Toons, Scooby Doo, Jetsons, Flintstones and the rest were closing comic book stores. No owner has cried to Bleedingcool about the low sales of these books. Books that can't sniff the trades sales of Ms Marvel or Miles or Moon Girl or any of the Marvel Rising guys. Who catch heck.

If we took Buffy and put her under Marvel-do we even see a 10th of the books she has under Dark Horse? No because Marvel would not have bothered.
    Same with Transformers & GI Joe & Dr Who & Star Trek.

It allows this line to be independent of Marvel and it ensures another thing-these comics will see TRADES. Unlike with Milestone who worked under DC.

I don't see why this is an issue because who here is REALLY going to buy them? When it's clear folk will take issue with them for just existing.

I didn't care for Super Hero Squad. but I really enjoyed Earth's Mightiest Heroes comic.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I didn't care for Super Hero Squad. but I really enjoyed Earth's Mightiest Heroes comic.
    Some issues were even written by Chris Yost .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Some issues were even written by Chris Yost .
    Didn’t he also write a large percentage of the Marvel Adventures line? Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Didn’t he also write a large percentage of the Marvel Adventures line? Or am I mixing him up with someone else?
    I don't think he actually did any Marvel Adventures books.

The main writers for were generally Paul Tobin, Fred Van Lente, Peter David, Jeff Parker, and Marc Sumerak.

(Evidence that sometimes having your creators involved in an all-ages line isn't always a bad thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think he actually did any Marvel Adventures books.

The main writers for were generally Paul Tobin, Fred Van Lente, Peter David, Jeff Parker, and Marc Sumerak.

(Evidence that sometimes having your creators involved in an all-ages line isn't always a bad thing).
    Yes I am mixing him up with Tobin. His name seems to be on a lot of them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    A lot of speculation there and not much evidence.
    I can see that you haven't addressed any of the points I made in my last post. You already know that Disney is a ruthless company that cares little for original ideas. Walt Disney made his fortune by ripping-off old fairytales and children's books in the public domain and little has changed today. Modern Disney only bought Marvel because they wanted to use the IP and existing source material for the movies. Strictly speaking, if Disney sees no value in further stories from Marvel then there is no point in publishing new comics. This IDW Avengers is a great example, a generic rehash, more then enough to please Disney's investors.