Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default SO....IDW is publishing ORIGINAL Marvel Kids stories....

Honestly what is the point of Marvel comics anymore if it can not even attract KIDS.... https://www.newsarama.com/41905-marv...tive-team.html

Incredible Member

The next step towards closing down Marvel's publishing operation: farm out the books.

BANNED

Yeah, I can't help but think this deal sets a bad precedent. Letting IDW do a couple of low key books is one thing but this is a full blown Avengers book, that actually looks like the movie lineup no less. If successful it won't take much more for Disney to shutdown Marvel and license the IP to the lowest bidder.
    Last edited by Kintor; 09-19-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Yeah, I can't help but think this deal sets a bad precedent. Letting IDW do a couple of low key books is one thing but this is a full blown Avengers book, that actually looks like the movie lineup no less. If successful it won't take much more for Disney to shutdown Marvel and license the IP to the lowest bidder.
    That doesn't make any sense; companies do these kinds of deals all the time without shutting down their own operations. Heck, I remember when Disney and IDW made a deal for the latter to publish Star Wars comics and there was huge speculation if Marvel would loose the rights to do Star Wars. A couple years later and they're not only still doing it but expanding to boot. (Also, like the Star Wars deal, IDW is aiming for a younger demographic then mainstream Marvel is.)

Long story short, it's premature to worry about Marvel getting shut down over a normal business deal.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That doesn't make any sense; companies do these kinds of deals all the time without shutting down their own operations. Heck, I remember when Disney and IDW made a deal for the latter to publish Star Wars comics and there was huge speculation if Marvel would loose the rights to do Star Wars. A couple years later and they're not only still doing it but expanding to boot. (Also, like the Star Wars deal, IDW is aiming for a younger demographic then mainstream Marvel is.)
    Disney has a long history of buying up and shutting down the studios it acquires. Marvel's only saving grace has been that Disney was more concerned with merchandise and movies then the comic book source material. However, that is now changeing, when Disney is willing to license out even core Marvel IP like the Avengers to third party publishers. That in truth, Disney's publisher agnostic attitude towards comics is the death knell of Marvel. When there is nothing special about Marvel there's no point in keeping the 'house of ideas' around.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Disney has a long history of buying up and shutting down the studios it acquires. Marvel's only saving grace has been that Disney was more concerned with merchandise and movies then the comic book source material. However, that is now changeing, when Disney is willing to license out even core Marvel IP like the Avengers to third party publishers. That in truth, Disney's publisher agnostic attitude towards comics is the death knell of Marvel. When there is nothing special about Marvel there's no point in keeping the 'house of ideas' around.
    Marvel is an LLC with Disney being the parent company and as such are kept distinct entities. An LLC is not required to have a board of directors either, but Marvel does and it doesn't directly report to Disney. Marvel does not report to Disney until it comes down to tax time because the parent company files losses and gains. Other than that, Marvel continues operating business as usual. Not to mention that while Disney does own Marvel, companies still have to go through Marvel to license out those IPs. You can actually do that from Marvel's own website. The reason it's distinct is due to liabilities as companies do not and should not risk money and assets should something happen to another section of the company.

Meaning Disney has absolutely no incentive to shut anything down. Disney at the end of the day is not losing anything because Marvel is kept going on its own capital just under the Disney umbrella. If Marvel went under tomorrow, it will not affect Disney in the slightest, it just affects Marvel. They would file the companies loss and that's it.

Disney cares more about animation/film than the whims of the publishing division. It's far more concerning when Marvel products show up on an unaffiliated Disney channel.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

It's weird, right?

But.....sometimes I wonder if it would really be the worst thing ever if Marvel (or DC) just licensed their IP's out. Those comic writers are gonna have to go somewhere so they might stick around and those smaller publishers might have some new, interesting ideas about how to use and approach the characters.

I mean, it could totally suck, but I'm not sure if it might not actually be kinda good for everyone.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

iMan 42s

Where have you all been? This isn't the first time this has happened and Marvel has absolutely no reason to shutdown anything. Marvel being an LLC is one of those companies that can only make money. IDW bought a license, will release them, hiring their own talent, and all Marvel has to do is approve it. It's that simple. Marvel as a corporate entity makes enough money they will allocate money to the publishing division.

Disney and Marvel is not going to shut anything down. Consider that everything we see in movies, television, Netflix, games, and even ads, all begin in the comics first. Their is a reason Marvel is one of the big two. It does not do them any good to cut themselves off from potential revenue in comics seeing as their franchises are still profitable. We've seen no indicator that they would shut anything down and if they did they are only moving to digital. Even then, they would still produce trades as bookstores are a large business that would carry their product, and especially following a movie release.

The sky isn't falling and lets not get pissed at this, it's just licensing.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Where have you all been? This isn't the first time this has happened and Marvel has absolutely no reason to shutdown anything. Marvel being an LLC is one of those companies that can only make money. IDW bought a license, will release them, hiring their own talent, and all Marvel has to do is approve it. It's that simple. Marvel as a corporate entity makes enough money they will allocate money to the publishing division.

Disney and Marvel is not going to shut anything down. Consider that everything we see in movies, television, Netflix, games, and even ads, all begin in the comics first. Their is a reason Marvel is one of the big two. It does not do them any good to cut themselves off from potential revenue in comics seeing as their franchises are still profitable. We've seen no indicator that they would shut anything down and if they did they are only moving to digital. Even then, they would still produce trades as bookstores are a large business that would carry their product, and especially following a movie release.

Marvel and DC have been doing this a good long while now, why the sudden surprise?

This is the first time I've personally seen Marvel do this, but I think it's a really cool idea. More All-Ages books is a good thing in my opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

It is one thing if Hasbro does it, but Marvel should at least take a leaf from DC and rebuild their kids comics brand themselves and not let other people do the work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    It is one thing if Hasbro does it, but Marvel should at least take a leaf from DC and rebuild their kids comics brand themselves and not let other people do the work for them.
    They keep trying. They published one only yesterday.

Apart from cartoon tie-in stuff they are just not very good at it. Why do what you are not very good at when you can focus on what you can do well? Marvel do the suitable for all ages style books better than they do kids books.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-20-2018 at 07:33 AM.

This isn't the first time Marvel has let other studios do their stuff. It won't be the last. The sky is not falling.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    One difference-DC's kids line (aside from Dc Super Hero Girls) does not feature characters who endure pure HATE from fan factions and comic book store owners.

No one has accused Future Quest, Loony Toons, Scooby Doo, Jetsons, Flintstones and the rest were closing comic book stores. No owner has cried to Bleedingcool about the low sales of these books. Books that can't sniff the trades sales of Ms Marvel or Miles or Moon Girl or any of the Marvel Rising guys. Who catch heck.

If we took Buffy and put her under Marvel-do we even see a 10th of the books she has under Dark Horse? No because Marvel would not have bothered.
    Same with Transformers & GI Joe & Dr Who & Star Trek.

It allows this line to be independent of Marvel and it ensures another thing-these comics will see TRADES. Unlike with Milestone who worked under DC.

I don't see why this is an issue because who here is REALLY going to buy them? When it's clear folk will take issue with them for just existing.

Anything to get new readers is a plus. My nephews love the archie marvel books and i'll pick some of these up for them. I wish marvel would let idw reprint the marvel micronauts and rom comics also. (funny thing is I was annoyed at other studios reprinting marvel stuff, even did a thread about it but now not only am I fine with it, i hope we get more movie and tv based marvel stuff.)

Some more covers.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]