Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default SO....IDW is publishing ORIGINAL Marvel Kids stories....

Honestly what is the point of Marvel comics anymore if it can not even attract KIDS.... https://www.newsarama.com/41905-marv...tive-team.html

Incredible Member

The next step towards closing down Marvel's publishing operation: farm out the books.

BANNED

Yeah, I can't help but think this deal sets a bad precedent. Letting IDW do a couple of low key books is one thing but this is a full blown Avengers book, that actually looks like the movie lineup no less. If successful it won't take much more for Disney to shutdown Marvel and license the IP to the lowest bidder.
    Last edited by Kintor; 09-19-2018 at 06:36 PM.

It's weird, right?

But.....sometimes I wonder if it would really be the worst thing ever if Marvel (or DC) just licensed their IP's out. Those comic writers are gonna have to go somewhere so they might stick around and those smaller publishers might have some new, interesting ideas about how to use and approach the characters.

I mean, it could totally suck, but I'm not sure if it might not actually be kinda good for everyone.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Honestly what is the point of Marvel comics anymore if it can not even attract KIDS.... https://www.newsarama.com/41905-marv...tive-team.html
    I don't think you understand how publishing works.

Books don't magically appear out of thin air. They need to have writers, artists, editors, letterers, inkers, etc.. They also have to be printed and marketed.

Marvel publishes a lot of books every month, books that each individually require the combined efforts of many people - as well as the budget to pay those people for their efforts - in order to become a physical reality.

Every new book added to the monthly roster means diverting effort and budget from other books.

Marvel has done their Marvel Adventures line in the past, which was very similar to what these new IDW books look like.

I imagine that Marvel eventually decided that the financial and creative resources they devoted to those books was better directed back towards more lucrative, more essential titles in their core line but yet they still wanted to keep a toe in that young reader market and licensing out to IDW was one way to do that.

iMan 42s

Where have you all been? This isn't the first time this has happened and Marvel has absolutely no reason to shutdown anything. Marvel being an LLC is one of those companies that can only make money. IDW bought a license, will release them, hiring their own talent, and all Marvel has to do is approve it. It's that simple. Marvel as a corporate entity makes enough money they will allocate money to the publishing division.

Disney and Marvel is not going to shut anything down. Consider that everything we see in movies, television, Netflix, games, and even ads, all begin in the comics first. Their is a reason Marvel is one of the big two. It does not do them any good to cut themselves off from potential revenue in comics seeing as their franchises are still profitable. We've seen no indicator that they would shut anything down and if they did they are only moving to digital. Even then, they would still produce trades as bookstores are a large business that would carry their product, and especially following a movie release.

The sky isn't falling and lets not get pissed at this, it's just licensing.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Yeah, I can't help but think this deal sets a bad precedent. Letting IDW do a couple of low key books is one thing but this is a full blown Avengers book, that actually looks like the movie lineup no less. If successful it won't take much more for Disney to shutdown Marvel and license the IP to the lowest bidder.
    That doesn't make any sense; companies do these kinds of deals all the time without shutting down their own operations. Heck, I remember when Disney and IDW made a deal for the latter to publish Star Wars comics and there was huge speculation if Marvel would loose the rights to do Star Wars. A couple years later and they're not only still doing it but expanding to boot. (Also, like the Star Wars deal, IDW is aiming for a younger demographic then mainstream Marvel is.)

Long story short, it's premature to worry about Marvel getting shut down over a normal business deal.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That doesn't make any sense; companies do these kinds of deals all the time without shutting down their own operations. Heck, I remember when Disney and IDW made a deal for the latter to publish Star Wars comics and there was huge speculation if Marvel would loose the rights to do Star Wars. A couple years later and they're not only still doing it but expanding to boot. (Also, like the Star Wars deal, IDW is aiming for a younger demographic then mainstream Marvel is.)
    Disney has a long history of buying up and shutting down the studios it acquires. Marvel's only saving grace has been that Disney was more concerned with merchandise and movies then the comic book source material. However, that is now changeing, when Disney is willing to license out even core Marvel IP like the Avengers to third party publishers. That in truth, Disney's publisher agnostic attitude towards comics is the death knell of Marvel. When there is nothing special about Marvel there's no point in keeping the 'house of ideas' around.

Didn't we already have a thread about this?

Again, I think Marvel saw IDW's success with all-ages comics with licensed properties and thought IDW would be better served spearheading this then Marvel trying for another Spidey.

I do kind of miss Marvel Adventures though, which I think these will probably be very in-line with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's weird, right?

But.....sometimes I wonder if it would really be the worst thing ever if Marvel (or DC) just licensed their IP's out. Those comic writers are gonna have to go somewhere so they might stick around and those smaller publishers might have some new, interesting ideas about how to use and approach the characters.

I mean, it could totally suck, but I'm not sure if it might not actually be kinda good for everyone.
    Well, DC I think has less of an issue on that front since they're pretty fine with having different brands for different ideas and ways of playing with their IP's/characters.

I mean, they also have a pretty good track record for all ages comics as well since they publish Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, and of course DC Super Hero Girls. They also have a long history of tie-in comics to their cartoons, dating back to Batman Adventures. I remember picking up a few comics and reading in the back with Johnny DC all the all-ages titles DC had available (I'm not sure if they still do that though...).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Where have you all been? This isn't the first time this has happened and Marvel has absolutely no reason to shutdown anything. Marvel being an LLC is one of those companies that can only make money. IDW bought a license, will release them, hiring their own talent, and all Marvel has to do is approve it. It's that simple. Marvel as a corporate entity makes enough money they will allocate money to the publishing division.

Disney and Marvel is not going to shut anything down. Consider that everything we see in movies, television, Netflix, games, and even ads, all begin in the comics first. Their is a reason Marvel is one of the big two. It does not do them any good to cut themselves off from potential revenue in comics seeing as their franchises are still profitable. We've seen no indicator that they would shut anything down and if they did they are only moving to digital. Even then, they would still produce trades as bookstores are a large business that would carry their product, and especially following a movie release.

Marvel and DC have been doing this a good long while now, why the sudden surprise?

This is the first time I've personally seen Marvel do this, but I think it's a really cool idea. More All-Ages books is a good thing in my opinion.

I love this! I miss the Marvel Adventure comics Marvel use to do. They were really fun reads and I will definitely be picking this up.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I still insist that Marvel should have a total Mutant Extinction event and then totally seperate and licence out the X-Men to another company. I also know this wouldn't be popular but I can dream.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't we already have a thread about this?
    Yes. When the IDW Spider-Man book was announced.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

It is one thing if Hasbro does it, but Marvel should at least take a leaf from DC and rebuild their kids comics brand themselves and not let other people do the work for them.