Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 by Saladin Ahmed and Garry Brown

How many of you guys picked up the latest iteration of Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1, this one by Saladin Ahmed and Garry Brown?

It's a flashback from the Alien Costume saga in the perspective of the alien costume, showing what Spider-Man was up to when he was essentially sleepwalking. Colorist Lee Loughridge has an interesting faux-80s style (a bit similar to Ed Piskor's Hip Hop Family Tree/ Grand Design.)

I thought it was quite solid, showing the alien costume as truly alien, and having it learn a lesson, so that Peter's eventual rejection of it is kinda tragic. It also works at a potential redemption for the alien costume now that Venom's been a good guy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I really enjoyed it. It adds a lot of perspective and subtlety to the original stories with Peter wearing the symbiote. One of the best Spider-Man issues of the year IMO.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

It was really good. Looking forward to what comes off of this.

I honestly thought it was incredible. I really love the symbiote having a voice of it's own and how it gave Venom a legit reason to be obsessed with Peter instead of the symbiote just holding a grudge for the sake of it. Seeing it's admiration for Peter only for him to turn on it was kinda heartbreaking in a way. No wonder Venom was so angry and bitter towards him.

Haven't picked it up yet but it's on my list for sure; the story sounds interesting and I am a sucker for '80's style art----the colors look fantastic from the preview I saw.

I really enjoyed this, I was shocked. When I saw this cover I was like; what the heck? A re-hashed story? I was surprised in a nice way, great story. I would enjoy a back story of comics just about the alien and all his former "friends".
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

It was a beautiful piece of work, alternately disturbing, surprisingly heartwarming, and even downright heartbreaking.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

So, what the alien was doing with Peter when he was asleep? I do not mind spoilers, the issue will take a good amount of time to reach me in Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    So, what the alien was doing with Peter when he was asleep? I do not mind spoilers, the issue will take a good amount of time to reach me in Greece.
    Taking his body out crime-fighting while Peter slept, using the bond to operate his body for him . . . and fighting crime quite viciously. It does learn better after befriending a neighborhood boy during one of its jaunts, but alas, we know what happens to it in the end. Still sad, though.

All-New Member

I loved this issue. Unexpected depth for what looked like a nostalgia/throwback issue, and the art had a Cowan/Sienkiewicz/Sal Buscema vibe to it.

Astonishing Member

This was a really good read. Great to go back to that era and nice to see Felicia have some good characterization (as opposed to Slott’s Queenpin crap). I liked the kid, and I actually felt sorry for the symbiote by the end.
    There’s another short story about the symbiote taking over Peter at night and fighting crime. It has art by Mark Bagley and Jean DeWolff says she loves Spider-Man in it, but only the symbiote ever knew since Peter was unconscious in the suit. I think it was an ASM#400 back-up, or another giant issue during the clone saga. Does anyone remember this?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Taking his body out crime-fighting while Peter slept, using the bond to operate his body for him . . . and fighting crime quite viciously. It does learn better after befriending a neighborhood boy during one of its jaunts, but alas, we know what happens to it in the end. Still sad, though.
    Thank you so much!

Astonishing Member

Off topic, but you know you can read this issue right NOW on the Comixology app (as long as you don't mind digital downloads).

On twitter, Wikipedia Brown had an interesting interpretation, which Ahmed "liked."

I am in love with @saladinahmed Amazing Spider-Man Annual! Venom came to Earth as a child, a stranger who didn't understand the rules of a foreign land. It's a beautiful tragedy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Thank you so much!
    You're welcome.

I can see why he would. It's a very good summation of the symbiote's journey with Peter.