Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    I agree that Braniac V was similar to Vril Dox, but he was also different. Dox was far more selfish and sceeming. Brianiac five was idealistist.

Other than that I disagree

I liked the story and loved the addition of Supergirl. I was bumbed when they pulled her out of the book back to the present timeline.
    I can't remember what issue it was of Supergirl but I recently read the one where the "Wonder Twins" appeared on the scene and Supergirl helped them fight a giant monster from their dimension. She got knocked out and was having visions of being back in the future with the Legion.

There's a two page spread of Supergirl flying above the Legion while they cheer her return. It was so cool looking! Seeing her and the Legion thrilled at seeing each other again really made me want to check this series out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    I can't remember what issue it was of Supergirl but I recently read the one where the "Wonder Twins" appeared on the scene and Supergirl helped them fight a giant monster from their dimension. She got knocked out and was having visions of being back in the future with the Legion.

There's a two page spread of Supergirl flying above the Legion while they cheer her return. It was so cool looking! Seeing her and the Legion thrilled at seeing each other again really made me want to check this series out.
    She had a very rebelious character at that point and it fit perfectly into that version of the legion run. It allowed her to uncork and get out from under Superman's shadow.

Wasn't Saturn Girls world destrpyed?
    I believe Titan was destroyed at the start of Levitz's 2010 run.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I believe Titan was destroyed at the start of Levitz's 2010 run.
    I don't think I was reading legion in 2010..

BANNED

Collecting Legion of Superhereos is one of the most fun titles to try to collect.

I don't think I was reading legion in 2010..
    The Time Institute had been relocated to Titan, and a couple of the scientists had decided to peer at the creation of the universe. The result is the destruction of Titan.
    More info.

BANNED

The Time Institute had been relocated to Titan, and a couple of the scientists had decided to peer at the creation of the universe. The result is the destruction of Titan.
    More info.
    What a coninuity headache!

What a coninuity headache!
    It was also the first mention of Flashpoint before it happened.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The problem is that the legion has rebooted so many time and has so many continuities.

It was desgned as a jumping in point by supergirl folowers so it is not a bad place to jump in.
    Before Waid did his Threeboot the Legion had rebooted once. That was two continuities not many. There had been a few retcons thrown in but not any more than any other title that has been around for decades. Really the only reason Supergirl was even added to the book was because DC was in panic mood because the Threeboot was not selling any better than Reboot was because for every new fan that came in they lost someone who had been reading the book before. DC was scrambling trying to fix the mess they made, and thought Supergirl would fix things.

With such big names as Waid/Kinston on the book you would think it would be a no brainer that the title should have been selling at least double what it was under DnA (who were pretty much unknows at that point), but it didn't which just shows the whole reboot was a mess from the start.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Before Waid did his Threeboot the Legion had rebooted once. That was two continuities not many. There had been a few retcons thrown in but not any more than any other title that has been around for decades. Really the only reason Supergirl was even added to the book was because DC was in panic mood because the Threeboot was not selling any better than Reboot was because for every new fan that came in they lost someone who had been reading the book before. DC was scrambling trying to fix the mess they made, and thought Supergirl would fix things.

With such big names as Waid/Kinston on the book you would think it would be a no brainer that the title should have been selling at least double what it was under DnA (who were pretty much unknows at that point), but it didn't which just shows the whole reboot was a mess from the start.
    reboots are always a mess. Crisis on Infinite Earths was at least well thought out, although its outcomes were no fun at all. An old Hal Jordan really annoyed me. Legion's continuity I think is worst than even Superman's. This last Superman merge was just bizzarre. They would have been just so much better off not writing that and just starting from scratch. There is nothing that says they can't just start from scratch.

Shortly after this storyline began, the decision was made to retroactively remove Superboy completely from Legion history. Writer Mark Waid stated that "Because of inter-office politics and machinations...it was decided that there was no Superboy, but we weren't even allowed to reference him at all." This left the question of where the Legion's inspiration came from without the influence of Superboy. The writers' solution was a massive retcon, in which Mon-El served in the role of paragon instead of Superboy, with several more retcons to follow.[29] Issue #5 featured an alternate universe story in which the restructuring took place, and the Time Trapper was replaced in continuity by his onetime underling Glorith.
    Makes you just scratch your head. Any continuity that lasts for more than 5 years kills the storylines.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 09-23-2018 at 11:53 AM.

reboots are always a mess. Crisis on Infinite Earths was at least well thought out, although its outcomes were no fun at all. An old Hal Jordan really annoyed me. Legion's continuity I think is worst than even Superman's. This last Superman merge was just bizzarre. They would have been just so much better off not writing that and just starting from scratch. There is nothing that says they can't just start from scratch.

Makes you just scratch your head. Any continuity that lasts for more than 5 years kills the storylines.
    I have to beg to differ.
    I think the best offerings from DC and Marvel have been the ones with long continuities.

BANNED

I have to beg to differ.
    I think the best offerings from DC and Marvel have been the ones with long continuities.
    Before we delve into this, let me clarify what we speak of a little better by proposing a question. What is an example of a long continuity?

Before we delve into this, let me clarify what we speak of a little better by proposing a question. What is an example of a long continuity?
    For me...
    Claremont's X-Men
    Levitz's Legion
    Wolfman's Titans

All three had long continuities where later events or storylines made more impact due to the history of the characters and/or their world.

Such as Rogue's journey going from villain to untrusted member to valued teammate.
    Or Storm's journey from haughty self-professed Goddess to depowered soul-searching bout of humbleness to strong-willed leader of the X-Men.
    Or Scott's whole experience with Madelyne Pryor, with Jean's memory haunting him.
    Or Illyana being brought in as Magik nine years after her first glimpse in Giant-Size X-Men #1.

BANNED

For me...
    Claremont's X-Men
    Levitz's Legion
    Wolfman's Titans

All three had long continuities where later events or storylines made more impact due to the history of the characters and/or their world.

Such as Rogue's journey going from villain to untrusted member to valued teammate.
    Or Storm's journey from haughty self-professed Goddess to depowered soul-searching bout of humbleness to strong-willed leader of the X-Men.
    Or Scott's whole experience with Madelyne Pryor, with Jean's memory haunting him.
    Or Illyana being brought in as Magik nine years after her first glimpse in Giant-Size X-Men #1.
    I hate the x-men and I can't comment on the individual storylines. But I will say that the continuity is limited and the X-men probably push it to its limit. And then Marvel didn't know what to do, and they started restarting everything.

In general, comics are most effective when you are looking at a 5 year window of continuty and slides forward with the character. In the old days, it was essential that the character(s) are never damaged to the point that they can't be returned in the next issue. That is largely true whether there is continuity or not. But if all the books have continuity like Gasoline Alley, then you are stuck with aging out your characters.

This was a major discussion when Peter married Mary Jane Watson. And if you time out one title, like the X-men, then how does it affect all the other titles, say the FF?

It is a problem and not one with a real solution. The bottomline is, that strict adherance to "cannon" - that is a real disaster. Creating the illusion of the movement through time is part of the artform, may it be a novel or a comic run.

But I think the editors need to get it through their heads that it is OK to produce a story, say like the Watchmen, without worrying about how it fits in your Universe. Lets say DC decided, and this would be a great idea, to do a Superman series anchored into the 1930's. They should be able to do that without worrying if it is on Earth One or Earth Two... It is in the pages of a Comic Book... and that is alright in of itself.

OTOH, a book like the FF? Maybe it would be nice to see them actually age into old age at this point. Johnny is 40, Reed is 55, Susan is 50, Ben is 55, Franklin is 30, and Valery 25. Let it roll forward. You can even have a current book and one placed in the 1970's.

i read this series as it was coming out and haven't done a re-read (which is probably telling). my only real memories of this seem to jive with the consensus, mostly.

i adore the zero hour legion all the way through, but i *did* feel that the legion kind of fell into a rut -- this being the series after abnet and lanning closed out both monthly books, and post-legion lost as well. so i was jazzed for mark waid taking over the franchise, even if a third full reboot felt forced and unnecessary.

-- i was fine for most of the first year of the book. i was even on board for that... odd brainy/dream girl thing. the art was gorgeous. but i remember it crashing hard very suddenly, and adding a super-character to the book seemed... forced. i have no idea if it was editorially mandated or if waid wanted it the whole way. i kept reading but wasn't horribly impressed by it.

-- bedard (? i think?) came aboard for a short run, which i actually liked better.

-- shooter came back after that and some people dug it but aside from the francis manapul art i thought it was pretty bad, and it all came to an ugly, ugly head with...

-- #50, perhaps the single worst comic book ever produced by dc comics. does anybody remember this? shooter didn't write it. if memory serves he had left the book suddenly and some intern and/or editor wrote the, ahem, "script." i don't believe i've ever been as mad reading a comic in my life, and it had nothing to do with overzealous fanboy-ism. it was just the most shoddy thing i had ever paid money for.