Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Hereos

One of the very under the radar titles ever done

Wasn't that part of Waid's Anarchist Legion run?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Loved Barry Kitson's art on this, but I didn't care for the direction of most of the characters.

I usually like Mark Waid's writing, but he lost me with this one. Most of the legionnaires weren't even likeable in this run.

I'm a Legion Lifer, but yeah - I just could not find interest in that version of the team. I still bought the book when Supergirl was there, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about that run. I ended up dropping it later.

The art and seeing an iconic Supergirl back on the team were the highlights for me on this run.

Didn't necessarily dislike Waid's ideas, but restarting the team a 3rd time really wore on me.
    It felt like a step backward, only because everything had to be re-established yet again.
    I can only sit through all those origins so many times before I just get bored.
    But again, didn't hate the run, it just suffered from restart exhaustion through no fault of it's own.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm a Legion Lifer, but yeah - I just could not find interest in that version of the team. I still bought the book when Supergirl was there, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about that run. I ended up dropping it later.
    That sums up the Three boot perfectly. Forgettable. You could tell even Waid was bored of the series after his first long drug out arc.

BANNED

And yet this was listed several times a a top 10 DC run in another thread, although not necessarily the Supergirl rum. I loved this run though, especially the romance between Supergirl and Braniac V

I'm currently reading Supergirl Vol 5 (2005-2011).

Others have said they weren't that impressed with Supergirl and the LOSH.

But for someone who's never read LOSH before do you think this would be a good starting point?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That sums up the Three boot perfectly. Forgettable. You could tell even Waid was bored of the series after his first long drug out arc.
    I found the run full of interesting concepts that were never fleshed out.

The poor guy ran out of ideas by issue #12. I think the addition of Super Girl was a hail Mary that worked for a bit.

Remember in her own book Kara was portrayed as a troubled teen with a bit of jailbait thrown in.

If you wanted to read a less sensationalist version Waid's Legion was your only option.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post

But for someone who's never read LOSH before do you think this would be a good starting point?
    No not at all. The book had no heart. Waid was more into making a point about society than he was telling a good story and the characters all suffered from it and were almost all unlikable assholes. His Brainiac 5 was a flat out cut and paste copy of Vril Dox from the L.E.G.I.O.N./R.E.B.E.L.S. series too. I mean a straight up rip off.

Waid was one of the people who did the original Zero Hour reboot of the Legion, and that series was 100% better than the trainwreck that was the Threeboot.

I found the art very pleasing.
    The writing? Like so much of what Waid does, I didn't like it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    I'm currently reading Supergirl Vol 5 (2005-2011).

Others have said they weren't that impressed with Supergirl and the LOSH.

The problem is that the legion has rebooted so many time and has so many continuities.

It was desgned as a jumping in point by supergirl folowers so it is not a bad place to jump in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    No not at all. The book had no heart. Waid was more into making a point about society than he was telling a good story and the characters all suffered from it and were almost all unlikable assholes. His Brainiac 5 was a flat out cut and paste copy of Vril Dox from the L.E.G.I.O.N./R.E.B.E.L.S. series too. I mean a straight up rip off.

Waid was one of the people who did the original Zero Hour reboot of the Legion, and that series was 100% better than the trainwreck that was the Threeboot.
    I agree that Braniac V was similar to Vril Dox, but he was also different. Dox was far more selfish and sceeming. Brianiac five was idealistist.

Other than that I disagree

I liked the story and loved the addition of Supergirl. I was bumbed when they pulled her out of the book back to the present timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I found the art very pleasing.
    The writing? Like so much of what Waid does, I didn't like it.
    I remember having high hopes for the series.
    Reading interviews, saving preview art and images...
    I also remember really liking that the Legion's future finally reflected all the DCU having been in their past, not just Superman.
    And the art was amazing.

But then it took a dive with their motivation.
    The world is a utopia and the kids band together because they're bored with everything being 'okay'.
    Say what..??

I could probably have bought it if there was some villain being teased as putting the world in a weird Stepford Wives scenario and was secretly exploiting the situation to stay in power...
    But there was no villain suggested. At least not in the first issue.
    There was no sense of urgency or any real reason for the team to form, IMO, and by the end of the first issue they came off to me as nothing more than a street gang.
    I was really disappointed.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I remember having high hopes for the series.
    Reading interviews, saving preview art and images...
    I also remember really liking that the Legion's future finally reflected all the DCU having been in their past, not just Superman.
    And the art was amazing.

But then it took a dive with their motivation.
    The world is a utopia and the kids band together because they're bored with everything being 'okay'.
    Say what..??

I could probably have bought it if there was some villain being teased as putting the world in a weird Stepford Wives scenario and was secretly exploiting the situation to stay in power...
    But there was no villain suggested. At least not in the first issue.
    There was no sense of urgency or any real reason for the team to form, IMO, and by the end of the first issue they came off to me as nothing more than a street gang.
    I was really disappointed.
    Wasn't Saturn Girls world destrpyed?