Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I like the ultimate version the best.
    My writing...
    A girl's dream for a utopia is put to the test. - Nature's Kingdom
    A boy strives to create the ideal world for those that have inspired him. Spider-man: Revival of The Dream

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I can say dead right?
    I'm down with this. Of all the contrived poorly written dead not dead retcons, this was at the top of the list for worst. I almost would have preferred it to be another of Warren's clones than a Wolverine level healing factor pulled out of someone's rear end.

I prefer a more tech based villain.

But having said that, I would have preferred that Norman had stayed dead. Maybe it's because I'm not from the era where Norman was considered an essential villain, but I wouldn't miss Norman at all.
    If Spider-Man needs a Green Goblin enemy then I don't see why you couldn't just use Norman's son in the role instead.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I'm down with this. Of all the contrived poorly written dead not dead retcons, this was at the top of the list for worst. I almost would have preferred it to be another of Warren's clones than a Wolverine level healing factor pulled out of someone's rear end.
    My personal canon is that Norman was actually resurrected, not simply faking dead, by Mephisto or someone else like that with the intent of using him to torque with Spider-Man until he was at a point where he could be corrupted. It would at least explain why everyone fell for it so easily when he tried to make himself out to be a legitimate businessman again.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    I prefer a more tech based villain.

But having said that, I would have preferred that Norman had stayed dead. Maybe it's because I'm not from the era where Norman was considered an essential villain, but I wouldn't miss Norman at all.
    If Spider-Man needs a Green Goblin enemy then I don't see why you couldn't just use Norman's son in the role instead.
    Harry was dead at the time, from his own "improved" Goblin serum, not that that stopped him from taunting Peter from beyond the grave with a postmortem revenge plot involving the Chameleon and robotic doppelgangers of Peter's parents.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I feel that i one of the few that actually likes Norman resurrection lol.

I prefer him as a tech based villain with the serum boosting his strength, Norman lose a lot of his appeal by making him a literal monster. Also i prefer him not writen by Bendis and not as the main bad guy Avenger levels of villany please .

I like my Green Goblin with Phil Urich under the mask and teamed-up with Scarlet Spider against Joystick.

-Pav, who also likes those Osborn guys...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post

I prefer him as a tech based villain with the serum boosting his strength, Norman lose a lot of his appeal by making him a literal monster. Also i prefer him not writen by Bendis and not as the main bad guy Avenger levels of villany please .

I always loved the resurrection too. Green Goblin was always one of my favorite Iconic villains. I think he became overused in the last decade... but if it wasn't him they'd have run someone else into the ground :P

My favorite Goblin looks like this.
    GreenGoblin2.jpg

The problem is that iconic looking face with the bulging eyes and giant mouth is always WAY too... emotive to be a 'mask'. I think it was in Spider-man and his Amazing Friends where we got to see a Norman that actually Jekyll and Hyded into the goblin face and that made a lot of sense.

I hated Ultimate goblin 'hulking' out like that.... but something where he shifts green and bug eyed like that? Yeah, I can get behind that. It's why I liked the Green Goblin makeup in Amazing Spider-man 2 better than I liked the Power Rangers helmet of Spider-man….

Man if they'd only given Dafoe some makeup like that.... THAT would have been a green goblin.!

Astonishing Member

I prefer the classic Green Goblin by far.Well not as classic as in the first story that had him using a flying bromstick but right after he got the Goblin Glider.

I prefer a tech-based Green Goblin with a costume.

There's just something to be said about Spider-Man's Archenemy having his own set of themed gadgets and outfits and being able to go mano-a-mano with Spidey in a more direct and personal way that you can't really get in the same way with the Hulkgoblin.

And of course there's the shared symbolism of masks and identity that, while in some ways apparent with Ultimate Goblin, isn't as pronounced.

Not to mention it's more original then "Hulk who can shoot fire."

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Harry was dead at the time, from his own "improved" Goblin serum, not that that stopped him from taunting Peter from beyond the grave with a postmortem revenge plot involving the Chameleon and robotic doppelgangers of Peter's parents.
    Okay, I get that. But I would still prefer for Norman to have stayed dead. If you want a Goblin just resurrect Harry instead. Harry made for a better villain seeing as he was Pete's friend and wanted revenge for his dad. And I like to keep the death of Gwen story more intact.

That's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

I agree with all of this.

I found the Ultimate Goblin design to be very uninspired.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I like both at times. Tech based typically, but monster like is okay for alternate universes like Noir Goblin.

Me, I'm fine with either; they work in their respective stories and that's all that matter's to me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I found the Ultimate Goblin design to be very uninspired.
    I think even Mark Bagley once said in an interview that he would've liked to have re-done Ultimate Goblin's design.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Me, I'm fine with either; they work in their respective stories and that's all that matter's to me.
    And a good perspective to have .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I actually liked him as an Avengers-level villain. A lot of the guys Spider-Man fights against would, if not wreck the Avengers, at least give them a hell of a fight if they could organize themselves or harness their abilities better. The only thing I didn't like was Spider-Man largely taking a backseat to the others in the Avengers books, as given everything he knows and has been through concerning Osborn, he should have taken point in dealing with him. That's my biggest disappointment when it comes to Dark Reign/Siege and the later New Dark Avengers arc.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    Okay, I get that. But I would still prefer for Norman to have stayed dead. If you want a Goblin just resurrect Harry instead. Harry made for a better villain seeing as he was Pete's friend and wanted revenge for his dad. And I like to keep the death of Gwen story more intact.

That's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

I agree with all of this.
    I actually do agree that Harry could've easily been a better arch-nemesis than Norman, given his far more personal reasons for wanting Peter dead and their former closeness before that. Come to think of it, the story of Harry Osborn's descent into villainy is as much about Peter's failures as a friend as it is about Harry's emotional and psychological fragility, and don't the best villains say something compelling about the hero they oppose in the first place? I think that's why I didn't mind Harry being the Goblin in Amazing Spider-Man 2, as it at least tried to carry over that juxtaposition of Harry's emotional and psychological fragility and vulnerability with Peter's own failings and culpability vis-à-vis Harry's deteriorating health and sanity.
    The spider is always on the hunt.